+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry back to Canada using RTD...help please

Butterfly89

Dec 11, 2015
Hi guys,

I got my PR last week- YAY! However I have a US visa and a refugee travel document and a scheduled trip to the US next week. (My PR card is processing). Will I be able to come back using the RTD, refugee claim decision, valid wirk permit and my confirmation of PR? Please help!

key78

Star Member
Aug 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Butterfly89 said:
Hi guys,

I got my PR last week- YAY! However I have a US visa and a refugee travel document and a scheduled trip to the US next week. (My PR card is processing). Will I be able to come back using the RTD, refugee claim decision, valid wirk permit and my confirmation of PR? Please help!

First of all, confirmation of pr is not valid for travel as it says on that piece of paper (It is typed there). They always say that you should inform the immigration of officer during the PR interview that you have a scheduled trip so he/she can issue you Permanent Resident Travel Document (IMM 5529) so you can take it with you in your travel. You need this document..check out the link

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5529ETOC.asp

Secondly, You need to understand that you are NOW OFFICIALLY A permanent resident (under the refugee category). PR card should be carried all the time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
key78 said:
First of all, confirmation of pr is not valid for travel as it says on that piece of paper (It is typed there). They always say that you should inform the immigration of officer during the PR interview that you have a scheduled trip so he/she can issue you Permanent Resident Travel Document (IMM 5529) so you can take it with you in your travel. You need this document..check out the link

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5529ETOC.asp

Secondly, You need to understand that you are NOW OFFICIALLY A permanent resident (under the refugee category). PR card should be carried all the time.
You can actually re-enter Canada from the US using your COPR only provided you enter via a US/Canada land border. Not possible if you're flying.

key78

Star Member
Aug 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
You can actually re-enter Canada from the US using your COPR only provided you enter via a US/Canada land border. Not possible if you're flying.
I heard they changed the laws of using CORP when crossing borders by car.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
key78 said:
I heard they changed the laws of using CORP when crossing borders by car.
Nope - not yet.

key78

Star Member
Aug 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Nope - not yet.
do you have any links that show the CORP is okay to use to cross US-Can borders for in-Canada protected person (PR person)?

Lasso

Aug 15, 2016
I need to leave Canada and I do not have a permanent resident card. Can I later return to Canada without a PR card?
Canada’s entry requirements are changing
Permanent residents (PR) of Canada must carry and present their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada, or travelling to Canada on any other commercial carrier. If you do not carry your PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to board your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.
It is your responsibility to ensure that your PR card is still valid when you return from travel outside Canada, and to apply for a new PR card when your current card expires.

Returning by private vehicle

There are other documents you can use to enter the country.
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

When you return to Canada, apply for a PR card if you plan to travel outside Canada again.

Some examples of private vehicles include, but are not limited to: a car, truck, motorcycle, or recreational vehicle that you own, borrow, or rent. It is a vehicle not available for public use.

Returning by commercial vehicle: airplane, bus, train, or boat

You must apply for a permanent resident travel document. Otherwise you may not be able to travel to Canada.

You can apply for a PR card when you return to Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10

key78

Star Member
Aug 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lasso said:
I need to leave Canada and I do not have a permanent resident card. Can I later return to Canada without a PR card?
Canada’s entry requirements are changing
Permanent residents (PR) of Canada must carry and present their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada, or travelling to Canada on any other commercial carrier. If you do not carry your PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to board your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.
It is your responsibility to ensure that your PR card is still valid when you return from travel outside Canada, and to apply for a new PR card when your current card expires.

Returning by private vehicle

There are other documents you can use to enter the country.
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

When you return to Canada, apply for a PR card if you plan to travel outside Canada again.

Some examples of private vehicles include, but are not limited to: a car, truck, motorcycle, or recreational vehicle that you own, borrow, or rent. It is a vehicle not available for public use.

Returning by commercial vehicle: airplane, bus, train, or boat

You must apply for a permanent resident travel document. Otherwise you may not be able to travel to Canada.

You can apply for a PR card when you return to Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10
Thank you Lasso and as I said before a permanent resident travel document is a must. Someone needs to make sure he or she all the required documents especially if they are not Canadian citizens yet.

belch

May 9, 2017
Hi guys,

Hi! Was it hard to get US visa using your RTD?

AAMM_2015

Feb 17, 2016
Hi guys,

Hi... I'm looking at the replies here and I got surprised. Who said you cannot enter Canada with the refugee travel document? What is the purpose of it then (if this was true)!?
Did you consult official source?

jado_r

Nov 29, 2017
Hi guys,

Sorry to dig in old thread but it could be helpful to others.
My personal experience as following:
1- applied for Refugee Claim in land
2- 3 months later received my NOD then applied for PR
3- applied for RTD and received it

Now here is the tricky part, the RTD says clearly you need to show the CBSA officer a mean of residency proof accompanying the RTD.
so I started an online search campaign and here is what I found:
1- until 2012 there was a paper issued by CIC called "Protected Person Status Document PPSD" after receiving the NOD, and that PPSD will be recognized by CBSA officer as a proof of residency --- but after 2012 the IRB system got connected with CIC and cic killed the PPSD since they can now verify your NOD electronically.
2- between 2012 till 2015; the CBSA is still looking for proof of residency in this case a copy of the NOD along with the RTD should do the job, since the NOD information is published on CBSA system at all point of entries
If you feel not comfortable enogh you can apply for Verification of Status (VOS) which takes less than 6 months to issue and carry it as CIC recognized mean of residency.
3- 2017 as there is no official announcement but yet many friends reported that RTD alone was enough to board a flight and re-enter Canada.

Its safe to say that you can re-entrr Canada with your RTD alone, however keep a copy of your refugee claim (IMM1442B with photo) and your notice of decision NOD on all trips just in case.

**Note* replacement to lost NOD can always be issued by IRB, but replacement to lost original Refugee Claim (IMM1442B) can never be made, that CIC paper can never be reissued if lost, and you need to keep it for life just in case CIC changed any procedure 20 years from now with retro-effect, Save the original and hold a copy.

**Note* RTD can never ever ever be renewed nor replaced while outside canada, lose it (god forbid it) and you lost your way back to Canada for good. While you are outside that blue book is more important than your life.

Personally after speaking to an MP's assistant in this regard he advised that even with all these facilities I should refrain from traveling outside before receiving my PR Card or at least PR status, because during PR application process there is a background check which consists of multiple levels, one of them is revalidating authenticity of your documents and your story, while travelling outside repeatedly could raise a flag against your need for protection since you have ties to another country.

End of story; I didn't received my PR yet (but received an online letter 8 days ago stating my application is leaving CPC to Etobicoke for appointment) and I didn't leave Canada not once since I entered before applying for refugee even though I extracted the RTD for emergencies- simply its unjustified risk to travel without valid PR card.

I have a question outside the subject of this thread
What will happen in the PR appointment in Etobicoke, what is the process, when I will get my appointment, all related questions... I don't wnat to change the subject of this thread but if anyone could redirect me to the right thread for these questions. I will appreciate that

YoYo81

May 22, 2018
Guys, I couldn't figure out from your exchange posts !!!
Is it possible to enter back Canada with RTD only as the PR still in process or not ?

szaib002

Star Member
Jan 28, 2018
You should be fine. Reentering in Canada with the RTD should be enough. Carry your notice of decision nd COPR with you.