+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entries missing

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Some people have reported that some of their CBSA entries are missing. How is it going to affect their citizenship application?

When CBSA does not record exits then how will missing entry will have any impact?

Please someone explain

vinaypuri

Jan 1, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
Some people have reported that some of their CBSA entries are missing. How is it going to affect their citizenship application?

When CBSA does not record exits then how will missing entry will have any impact?

Please someone explain
Depending upon the officer mood, you have a probability to get RQed.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
vinaypuri said:
Depending upon the officer mood, you have a probability to get RQed.
How will the person get RQ? When CBSA does not record exit then how will missing entry count? How will they know that the entry is missing? Can you give an example?

aed

Oct 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
How will the person get RQ? When CBSA does not record exit then how will missing entry count? How will they know that the entry is missing? Can you give an example?
Hi Sam, the worst thing you could do is omit some trips because CBSA record is missing entries. CIC can (and they did in the past) request the boarding agency reports from other countries e.g. US, UEA etc. Also, if you have entry/exit stamps from other countries in your passport that will be pretty much a huge clue to CIC. There was a recent case of citizens who lied in their applications. CIC cross-checked the border agencies reports and the truth came out. The family had their citizenships revoked and was slapped with a CIC fees bill of 63K.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
aed said:
Hi Sam, the worst thing you could do is omit some trips because CBSA record is missing entries. CIC can (and they did in the past) request the boarding agency reports from other countries e.g. US, UEA etc. Also, if you have entry/exit stamps from other countries in your passport that will be pretty much a huge clue to CIC. There was a recent case of citizens who lied in their applications. CIC cross-checked the border agencies reports and the truth came out. The family had their citizenships revoked and was slapped with a CIC fees bill of 63K.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I was just trying to understand how the things work because people have reported that they are missing some entries and how missing entries will affect their application.

My 2 cent advise to everyone in the forum is that never lie to the application because all the govt agencies have access to all records.
Just try to enter all the details as accurate as possible and in case, some issue happens like RQ, you can work on it by gathering proofs however, if you lie on your application and CIC asks you for a proof then there would be no way for you to produce the proof and in that case, it will create a huge problem.

So, simple thing is that CIC and Canada wants honest citizens and things with truth will always lead to a good start and future.

aed

Oct 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
So, simple thing is that CIC and Canada wants honest citizens and things with truth will always lead to a good start and future.
True. Very true. :)

coolifrs

Star Member
Sep 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aed said:
They can look at your bank activities, credit cards, etc.

Always declare everything.

OrangeCup

Star Member
Feb 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
I travel a lot for work and that's why I ordered CBSA report to verify all the entries are there. It turns out 3 entries are missing, but I have the stamps for each entry back in the country in my passport, so this is is exactly what I wrote in my cover letter for application:

"I have ordered CBSA reports to verify for myself that all the entries are correct. Unfortunately, after close examination of the report, I have noticed that the following entries are missing in the report, but are supported by stamps in my passport: MMDDYY, MMDDYY, MMDDYY".

I am applying next month, so we'll see how it goes. Nothing I can do at the moment about these.The way I look at it is: I am not hiding the trip and I have passport stamps to proof the entry back into the country. be honest about the case and explain anything that's not perfectly clear.

vinaypuri

Jan 1, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ditto, I had same case except I didn't have any stamps. I applied based on the spreadsheet of travel I maintained, I got RQed two months after the test/interview. ATIP said judge is not satisfied :(.

OrangeCup said:
I travel a lot for work and that's why I ordered CBSA report to verify all the entries are there. It turns out 3 entries are missing, but I have the stamps for each entry back in the country in my passport, so this is is exactly what I wrote in my cover letter for application:

"I have ordered CBSA reports to verify for myself that all the entries are correct. Unfortunately, after close examination of the report, I have noticed that the following entries are missing in the report, but are supported by stamps in my passport: MMDDYY, MMDDYY, MMDDYY".

I am applying next month, so we'll see how it goes. Nothing I can do at the moment about these.The way I look at it is: I am not hiding the trip and I have passport stamps to proof the entry back into the country. be honest about the case and explain anything that's not perfectly clear.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aed said:
I agree it's important to never lie in CIC applications however the CIC will not order reports from other countries. They will make you do it when and if they issue an RQ. It's the applicant's job to show they've met the qualifications for citizenship and the CIC won't do your job for you.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I was just trying to understand how the things work because people have reported that they are missing some entries and how missing entries will affect their application.

My 2 cent advise to everyone in the forum is that never lie to the application because all the govt agencies have access to all records.
Just try to enter all the details as accurate as possible and in case, some issue happens like RQ, you can work on it by gathering proofs however, if you lie on your application and CIC asks you for a proof then there would be no way for you to produce the proof and in that case, it will create a huge problem.

The CIC will not punish you for the shortcomings of the CBSA reporting system. They are aware that there are sometimes missing entries.

You're right that it's important to be honest on applications*, but it's not true that all govt agencies have access to all records. Agencies only have access to their own records because of privacy concerns. The CIC only has access to CIC records. The CIC requires your permission to access your CBSA records (hence the checkbox on the application.)

The CIC is not in the business of punishing or passing moral judgements on applicants. They are in the business of seeing whether applicants have met the qualifications for immigration or citizenship. If an applicant presents a lot of contradictory information or certain specific triggers, they will ask for more information in the form of RQ. This is not because they assume the person is a bad person (bad people have a right to citizenship as long as they meet the qualifications), but because they want to see if the applicant has met the qualifications.

The CIC doesn't have access to banking, financial, educational, tax, work or border records. They make the applicant get it, or they ask for permission (in the case of CBSA reports).

*The one exception to being honest is if an applicant came to Canada as a refugee and traveled back to their home country at any point. If that is the case, it's important to talk to a refugee lawyer before sending that information to the CIC because one's right to remain in Canada could be at risk.

BobyM

Star Member
May 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
One of my entry stamps was missing in my passport, so I took the corresponding ticket and boarding pass with me. The interviewer seemed happy to see the boarding pass and the ticket and made a note of it in my application. He didn't have my CBSA report at the time of interview. I got my oath letter a few days later, so I am assuming that if you can clarify all the entries and exits at the time of interview, they wouldn't even bother requesting CBSA report.

OrangeCup said:

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
eileenf said:
The CIC will not punish you for the shortcomings of the CBSA reporting system. They are aware that there are sometimes missing entries.

You're right that it's important to be honest on applications*, but it's not true that all govt agencies have access to all records. Agencies only have access to their own records because of privacy concerns. The CIC only has access to CIC records. The CIC requires your permission to access your CBSA records (hence the checkbox on the application.)

The CIC is not in the business of punishing or passing moral judgements on applicants. They are in the business of seeing whether applicants have met the qualifications for immigration or citizenship. If an applicant presents a lot of contradictory information or certain specific triggers, they will ask for more information in the form of RQ. This is not because they assume the person is a bad person (bad people have a right to citizenship as long as they meet the qualifications), but because they want to see if the applicant has met the qualifications.

The CIC doesn't have access to banking, financial, educational, tax, work or border records. They make the applicant get it, or they ask for permission (in the case of CBSA reports).

*The one exception to being honest is if an applicant came to Canada as a refugee and traveled back to their home country at any point. If that is the case, it's important to talk to a refugee lawyer before sending that information to the CIC because one's right to remain in Canada could be at risk.
Great! You seem to have a tremendous knowledge. Thank you for such a detailed explanation.

poison

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
April 2010
LANDED..........
July 2010
My case somewhat resonates with this thread. Following are my details:

* Became a permanent resident in July 2010.
* Traveled a lot to the US however most of the trips were day trips (less than 24 hours) during the weekends.
* Applied for citizenship in Nov 2013.
* Received acknowledgement and discover Canada guide in late Jan 2014.
* Received test invite in June 2014.
* Appeared and cleared test in July 2014.
* Officer asked me to provide entry and exit records between Canada and USA for the 3 years tenure.
* (Relocated from Vancouver to Toronto after test - informed CIC and they told me that they will keep my file at Vancouver location but will provide oath date in Toronto)
* Contacted CBSA (on Canadian side) and CBP (on US side) for releasing records of movement.
* CBSA completed the request. CBP (under FOIA) said processing is going to take 18 months!!!
* Sent CBSA records and copies of the itineraries for all overnight trips to the US, to Vancouver office - Oct 2014.
* Awaiting Oath..!

I am not sure whether CIC is going to come back to me asking that I "specifically" need to provide records from CBP USA or will they be okay with CBSA records. Now its a wait and watch game as there is nothing that I can do. I called CIC call center to know about my file and all that the agent was able to tell me was "Sir, your file is in process and is at Vancouver location", that's it..!

Is there anyone out here going through similar experience as myself?

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you a US citizen? If not you can apply for an i94.

If you are a US citizen, you have to wait until the FOIA comes through. I know personally that it's frustrating. i got my FOIA report of border crossings 3 months after I got my citizenship (and it's not like my citizenship was processed quickly...) As a pretest RQ recipient, at the interview I showed the officer that I'd contacted my congressperson, called the FOIA helpline and however many other things. She had the CBSA report and wasn't that worried about it. She said it supported my stated absences. But it's good to show that you've done your due diligence. You are not responsible and won't be punished for the actions of the US government.

I have read that others applied for urgent FOIA. First request will be denied unless you are on the cusp of death. Appeal is usually approved.