+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entrance refused Due to unrecognized college

Shennan R

Feb 22, 2018
Hi everyone,

I have been trying to locate a thread similar to my situation but unable to find. While WES recognized my degrees as being equivalent to Canadian degrees of the same level, the agent decided not to recognize them as they were not delivered by a recognized institution by the Canadian government.
Is this a normal occurrence? I am a little bit irratited that WES list isn’t updated appropriately. Shouldn’t they have been able to advise me not to go to the next step?

Raz0r

Jul 9, 2017
Hi everyone,

I have been trying to locate a thread similar to my situation but unable to find. While WES recognized my degrees as being equivalent to Canadian degrees of the same level, the agent decided not to recognize them as they were not delivered by a recognized institution by the Canadian government.
Is this a normal occurrence? I am a little bit irratited that WES list isn’t updated appropriately. Shouldn’t they have been able to advise me not to go to the next step?
Pardon me if I am wrong, but are you saying that WES-Canada assessed your educational credentials without any issues and your Consultant is not accepting the same??

Shennan R

Feb 22, 2018
Pardon me if I am wrong, but are you saying that WES-Canada assessed your educational credentials without any issues and your Consultant is not accepting the same??
Correct! It was accepted by WES but then rejected by the agent by the immigration department.

Varunaimar

Jan 25, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-05-2018
IELTS Request
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
20-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2019
Correct! It was accepted by WES but then rejected by the agent by the immigration department.
Please show your agent the list of official institutions permitted by IRCC to issue ECA. WES will be in that list.

dks2323

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Have you hired an agent to do your express entry stuff and he/she told you this....or are you doing it yourself....because this is weird and I dont think this ever happened to anyone...

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
I hired an agent who was responsible for everything. I thought it strange as well.
I've never heard of this happening either and I would be very suspicious of that agent (when you say agent, I assume you mean a consultant that you hired and paid to assist you with the application process - you have to be careful with wording, because 'agent' normally refers to the Canadian government immigration agents who assess and approve/decline our applications once submitted)...

Can you do the process yourself? Consultants are not always the best way to go, especially when they are giving you incorrect information or trying to take advantage of you...

Last edited:

OdinNguyen

Mar 30, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please elaborate 'agent by the immigration department'. I am very confused now. WES is in the CIC list, why CIC agent refused WES certificate?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Sorry, this is a bit confusing. Let me see if I understand correctly.

You have applied for PR under express entry through a consultant. You had a profile, received an ITA, and submitted a complete eAPR (application for permanent residence) under one of the programs: FSW, CEC or FST.

You had an ECA done by WES for your foreign (non-Canadian) degree.

The visa officer who assessed your application refused your application because your educational program was not delivered by an institution recognized by the Canadian government. This is what you have been told by your consultant.

Do you have a copy of the refusal letter? There is something wrong here, but it is difficult to figure out what without seeing the exact words in the letter.

Shennan R

Feb 22, 2018

You have applied for PR under express entry through a consultant. You had a profile, received an ITA, and submitted a complete eAPR (application for permanent residence) under one of the programs: FSW, CEC or FST.

The visa officer who assessed your application refused your application because your educational program was not delivered by an institution recognized by the Canadian government. This is what you have been told by your consultant.

Do you have a copy of the refusal letter? There is something wrong here, but it is difficult to figure out what without seeing the exact words in the letter.
Yes I have a copy of the refusal letter but I am having challenges posting it. Your post sums up my situation perfectly! Sorry for the confusion everyone.
Below is the email my agent sent me once the refusal was received.

While WES recognized your degrees as being equivalent to Canadian degrees of the same level, the agent decided not to recognize them as they were not delivered by a recognized institution by the Canadian government.

Hence the agent decided that your punctuation was not sufficient to grant you permanent residence.

Shennan R

Feb 22, 2018
I've never heard of this happening either and I would be very suspicious of that agent (when you say agent, I assume you mean a consultant that you hired and paid to assist you with the application process - you have to be careful with wording, because 'agent' normally refers to the Canadian government immigration agents who assess and approve/decline our applications once submitted)...

Can you do the process yourself? Consultants are not always the best way to go, especially when they are giving you incorrect information or trying to take advantage of you...
My consultant used the term agent thus why I used it but agent does refer to the individual that processed my application at the immigration department. At this point I’ve spent to much money to redo this process only to get the same result. The consultant fees doubled my costs! I just want to know if my situation is common.

Shennan R

Feb 22, 2018
Please elaborate 'agent by the immigration department'. I am very confused now. WES is in the CIC list, why CIC agent refused WES certificate?

This is why I’m on this site. Trying to confirm if this is a common occurrence or a rare one. Shouldn’t I have been advised not to proceed by WES?

Shennan R

Feb 22, 2018

Yes I have a copy of the refusal letter. This sums it up perfectly! Sorry for the confusion everyone!

Shennan R

Feb 22, 2018
I am having challenges uploading the letter. Below is the message from my consultant notifying me of the rejection.
While WES recognized your degrees as being equivalent to Canadian degrees of the same level, the agent decided not to recognize them as they were not delivered by a recognized institution by the Canadian government.

Hence the agent decided that your punctuation was not sufficient to grant you permanent residence.