+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada with COPR (and expired PR card) through land border

BogusApplicant

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
I became landed immigrant in Jan 2018, and lived in Canada until July 2022 (3.5 years). In July 2022 I moved to the USA for work on non-immigrant visa.
My citizenship application is in progress and I will likely receive it in the next 6 months.
However, my PR card is expiring in Feb-2023 and I will not get my oath invite before it expires.

Now, my question is, after my PR card expires, can I freely enter Canada with just my COPR? I believe I need to be outside for 3 years before I fail to meet residency obligation.
Can this entry be casual or does it have to be with intent to stay in Canada?
Can I enter multiple times with COPR without applying for PR card?

The reason is, I will need to be in Canada to take my oath of citizenship. Will I have trouble travelling to Canada with a expired PR?
The official CIC website does not list COPR as a valid document to enter Canada.

Thanks in advance

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
I became landed immigrant in Jan 2018, and lived in Canada until July 2022 (3.5 years). In July 2022 I moved to the USA for work on non-immigrant visa.
My citizenship application is in progress and I will likely receive it in the next 6 months.
However, my PR card is expiring in Feb-2023 and I will not get my oath invite before it expires.

Now, my question is, after my PR card expires, can I freely enter Canada with just my COPR? I believe I need to be outside for 3 years before I fail to meet residency obligation.
Can this entry be casual or does it have to be with intent to stay in Canada?
Can I enter multiple times with COPR without applying for PR card?

The reason is, I will need to be in Canada to take my oath of citizenship. Will I have trouble travelling to Canada with a expired PR?
The official CIC website does not list COPR as a valid document to enter Canada.

Thanks in advance
You should be able to enter through the land border with your expired card but I'll just renew it if I was you. You can come in one weekend and apply for a renewal and leave. Put the address of a trusted person and you can either pick it up or have it shipped.

BogusApplicant

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
You should be able to enter through the land border with your expired card but I'll just renew it if I was you. You can come in one weekend and apply for a renewal and leave. Put the address of a trusted person and you can either pick it up or have it shipped.
Thanks for the response. The reason why I've not applied for PR renewal is that I've declared in my Citizenship application that I'm living in the US, and the application has my US address. Would I be able to apply for PR card by travelling to Canada temporarily, and using a different address?

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
Thanks for the response. The reason why I've not applied for PR renewal is that I've declared in my Citizenship application that I'm living in the US, and the application has my US address. Would I be able to apply for PR card by travelling to Canada temporarily, and using a different address?
I think you can but maybe others can comment.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
You can't be 'living' at two different addresses on the same days. While there may be different individuals looking at your citizenship and PR renewal processing, the system they will access is the same.

Reactions: BogusApplicant

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Why can't someone be living at two different addresses on the same days?
To uniquely identify a person (legal concern). You don't put 2 addresses on your driver's license, do you?

Reactions: BogusApplicant

BogusApplicant

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
You can't be 'living' at two different addresses on the same days. While there may be different individuals looking at your citizenship and PR renewal processing, the system they will access is the same.
That was the reason why I didn't apply for renewal.
Do you think I can just use my copr to enter Canada multiple times?also to note, I will have to use my Indian passport and US drivers license as ID at the PoE.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you think I can just use my copr to enter Canada multiple times?also to note, I will have to use my Indian passport and US drivers license as ID at the PoE.
Not sure about COPR but you can use the expired PR card if you go through a land border by non commerical vehicle such as walking.

Reactions: armoured

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
If space are available, I probably would!
You're not allowed to do so with any government agency. Trust me. Some people got arrested for not having a fixed address on their driver's license. It's a law in Canada.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Not sure about COPR but you can use the expired PR card if you go through a land border by non commerical vehicle such as walking.
The expired PR card is better just because it has a picture, really - the main thing is that CBSA needs to confirm that the PR-number-such-and-such is the same person. They can do it with either, in theory, but PR card (even expired) a better bet.

Also that copr is more fragile and best to leave it at home if possible.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Would probably depend on how long you are outside Canada. Plenty of threads dealing with this issue.