Entering Canada Prior PR card expiry but after 5 years from landing

ferry-1978

May 21, 2014
Hi everyone,

here is my timeline :

received PR: May-2015
soft landing for 22 days: 20-July-2015

PR card expires on: 15-Sep-2020.

Will i be allowed to enter Canada on 01-Sep-2020?

Note:
1. I did not meet the RO of 730 days. The days I spent in Canada so far is 150 days.
2. My last entry to Canada was on 22-July-2018 and I stayed for 3 weeks.
3. I own a home in Canada as a proof of loyality that one day I would like to come and live in.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As a PR you would still be entitled to enter the country but given you will have failed the residency obligation there is a chance that you could be reported leading to your PR status being revoked.

Should you enter without being reported then you need to stay put for 2 plus years without attempting to renew your card plus you cannot sPonsor anyone during this time. If you attempt either of these things before resetting your RO that could also start the process to revoke your PR status.

Owning a home does not really give any benefit given you failed the residency obligation which was your PR commitment, not owning any property.

Last edited:
Reactions: ferry-1978

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Even if you are let in it doesn’t seem that plan on remaining so do you have a longterm plan if you actually want to return to Canada. The expiry date on your PR card is relaventbbut you must have lived in Canada for 730 days 5 years from your landing date.

Reactions: ferry-1978

ferry-1978

May 21, 2014
As a PR you would still be entitled to enter the country but given you will have failed the residency obligation there is a chance that you could be reported leading to your PR status being revoked.

Should you enter without being reported then you need to stay put for 2 plus years without attempting to renew your card plus you cannot sPonsor anyone during this time. If you attempt either of these things before resetting your RO that could also start the process to revoke your PR status.

Owning a home does not really give any benefit given you failed the residency obligation which was your PR commitment, not owning any property.
Thanks you Bs65 for you kind attention and reply.

I read a previous reply of you to a similar question and the following was your answer:

"quote
1)The 730 days in the initial 5 years is determined from your landing date not the issue of the PR card so you need to be back in October 2019 not November.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-card-expiry-less-than-730-days-can-i-enter.657933/
unquote"

So, can you please reconfirm if I will be allowed to enter Canada after the five years of landing date but before the expiry date of the PR card?

Note: I understand that I am gambling the chance for my PR status being revoked but let me take this chance as my situation right now is the same i.e. even if I go Canada today, I might be reported because I won't be abel to meet the RO.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks you Bs65 for you kind attention and reply.

I read a previous reply of you to a similar question and the following was your answer:

"quote
1)The 730 days in the initial 5 years is determined from your landing date not the issue of the PR card so you need to be back in October 2019 not November.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-card-expiry-less-than-730-days-can-i-enter.657933/
unquote"

So, can you please reconfirm if I will be allowed to enter Canada after the five years of landing date but before the expiry date of the PR card?

Note: I understand that I am gambling the chance for my PR status being revoked but let me take this chance as my situation right now is the same i.e. even if I go Canada today, I might be reported because I won't be abel to meet the RO.
Yes you can enter if you are a PR. Do you have a spouse and children who are living in the house? Have you been in touch with CRA to determination whether you are a resident for tax purposes and filing your taxes if you don’t have family living in the house. If you do have a spouse living in your home they can sponsor you if you get reported and lose PR.