+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada for the first time after getting Permanent Residence Visa, how to apply for PR card

nitman325

Apr 15, 2018
Hi, my wife and I are residing in Dubai presently and have received our Permanent Residence visa stamped on our passports. We are planning to enter Canada in May, in order to apply for the PR card, although we will be returning back to Dubai after 4 days.

Can some one please advise what the procedure will be for application of the PR card ? Where and when is the application to be submitted ?

As we are returning back to Dubai after a few days, how can we receive the PR card ? Is there any other procedure to be completed in this case ?

Hoping for a quick reply..cheers

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi, my wife and I are residing in Dubai presently and have received our Permanent Residence visa stamped on our passports. We are planning to enter Canada in May, in order to apply for the PR card, although we will be returning back to Dubai after 4 days.

Can some one please advise what the procedure will be for application of the PR card ? Where and when is the application to be submitted ?

As we are returning back to Dubai after a few days, how can we receive the PR card ? Is there any other procedure to be completed in this case ?

Hoping for a quick reply..cheers
The application for PR cards is done automatically as part of the landing procedure. You only need to supply an in-Canada residential address for them to be delivered to. Then they can be couriered to you by the recipient.

nitman325

Apr 15, 2018
The application for PR cards is done automatically as part of the landing procedure. You only need to supply an in-Canada residential address for them to be delivered to. Then they can be couriered to you by the recipient.
Thanks for your reply...so can I assume that the PR card application is done at the arrival airport in Canada? Do we need to visit any other visa office in Canada for this purpose?
Also, I read somewhere that we need a COPR in order to travel to Canada. Is this mandatory as we have not received this alongwith our PR visas.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks for your reply...so can I assume that the PR card application is done at the arrival airport in Canada? Do we need to visit any other visa office in Canada for this purpose?
Also, I read somewhere that we need a COPR in order to travel to Canada. Is this mandatory as we have not received this alongwith our PR visas.
Your PR card application is done by CBSA/IRCC at the time of landing. You need to do nothing.
You absolutely need to have your COPR documents when you travel to Canada for landing. Am IM-1 visa only gets you on the aircraft. The COPR is the actual landing document. You can't land without it or it is past the expiry date. If they have not arrived, you will need to track them down and/or contact IRCC.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would suggest getting a SIN card when you arrive since you are here for 4 days. If you have the time why not. The SIN# will allow you to work when you finally settle in Canada. You can't apply for health cards until you move to Canada permanently.

nitman325

Apr 15, 2018
Your PR card application is done by CBSA/IRCC at the time of landing. You need to do nothing.
You absolutely need to have your COPR documents when you travel to Canada for landing. Am IM-1 visa only gets you on the aircraft. The COPR is the actual landing document. You can't land without it or it is past the expiry date. If they have not arrived, you will need to track them down and/or contact IRCC.
Hi.thanks for making it clear..I had a look once again for the COPR and we have found the certificates now. However, I have a query on this. On the COPR we have, no Canadian address is mentioned. Is this normal? Assume we have to provide a valid address once we land? Also, it says "Not valid for travel" on the certi. Strange, as I thought this was necessary for landing procedures ? Appreciate some clarification on this please ?

nitman325

Apr 15, 2018
Would suggest getting a SIN card when you arrive since you are here for 4 days. If you have the time why not. The SIN# will allow you to work when you finally settle in Canada. You can't apply for health cards until you move to Canada permanently.
Hi thank you for your response. Could you kindly explain what a SIN card is and how/where we can apply for it ? Is it something we can apply for and receive immediately or can we apply for it when we move to Canada permanently ?

harpreethwalia

Star Member
Dec 27, 2017
Hi.thanks for making it clear..I had a look once again for the COPR and we have found the certificates now. However, I have a query on this. On the COPR we have, no Canadian address is mentioned. Is this normal? Assume we have to provide a valid address once we land? Also, it says "Not valid for travel" on the certi. Strange, as I thought this was necessary for landing procedures ? Appreciate some clarification on this please ?
You need to make sure your application is in progress first. Check my post for this same query.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-card-query-help-needed.554345/

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
That is correct. You can't travel based on the COPR alone. This is why you are issued the IM-1 visa in your passport. That is your travel document.
Address is collected at the time of landing. You must present both copies of the COPR document to CBSA. They will retain one, with the photo on it, for PR card creation and return the other signed copy to you. You must keep it safe, exactly as it is. No lamination for example.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi thank you for your response. Could you kindly explain what a SIN card is and how/where we can apply for it ? Is it something we can apply for and receive immediately or can we apply for it when we move to Canada permanently ?
Social Insurance Number. You need that to work legally. You apply for it either in the airport, if possible, or at a Service Canada office near where you are staying. You need your CoPR for this. Get it as soon as you can. SIN cards are no longer being issued. You will receive a sheet of paper with the details of the allocated SIN on it.

nitman325

Apr 15, 2018
Social Insurance Number. You need that to work legally. You apply for it either in the airport, if possible, or at a Service Canada office near where you are staying. You need your CoPR for this. Get it as soon as you can. SIN cards are no longer being issued. You will receive a sheet of paper with the details of the allocated SIN on it.
Thanks so much for the explanation

nitman325

Apr 15, 2018
That is correct. You can't travel based on the COPR alone. This is why you are issued the IM-1 visa in your passport. That is your travel document.
Address is collected at the time of landing. You must present both copies of the COPR document to CBSA. They will retain one, with the photo on it, for PR card creation and return the other signed copy to you. You must keep it safe, exactly as it is. No lamination for example.
Thank you very much