+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering canada few days before TRV expiry date

Ganny

Star Member
Apr 30, 2014
My parents TRV visa is expiring in August. Can they enter Canada a couple of weeks before the TRV expiry date and stay in Canada for 6 months without applying for a new visa or extension? Will they be questioned at port of entry if the return ticket date is past the visa expiry date? Please advise. Thanks.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
1. Yes

2. No.

Visa = document for entering, or being admitted to, Canada
A visa is not tied to their presence or length of stay in Canada

Reactions: Ganny

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
My parents TRV visa is expiring in August. Can they enter Canada a couple of weeks before the TRV expiry date and stay in Canada for 6 months without applying for a new visa or extension? Will they be questioned at port of entry if the return ticket date is past the visa expiry date? Please advise. Thanks.
When do their passports expire? Is the passport expiry date the same as the TRV expiry date? Or do they have new passports?

Ganny

Star Member
Apr 30, 2014
Thanks for the replies. Their passports expire in 2 years. So no issues regarding that.
(They got their TRVs up until the end of my previous work permit date hence the difference in dates).

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks for the replies. Their passports expire in 2 years. So no issues regarding that.
(They got their TRVs up until the end of my previous work permit date hence the difference in dates).
I had missed it. You had mentioned it in the other thread.

The TRV will help only to board the flight. The length of their stay will be determined by the officer at the POE

Ganny

Star Member
Apr 30, 2014
I had missed it. You had mentioned it in the other thread.

The TRV will help only to board the flight. The length of their stay will be determined by the officer at the POE
Thanks again for your response. Is there any chance that the officer at POE will determine the length of the stay for shorter than 6 months (considering the visa expiry or other reasons).

In that case, I could still file an extension after they arrive here, I believe.
Please let me know if there are any chances they might have to leave the country before 6 months.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks again for your response. Is there any chance that the officer at POE will determine the length of the stay for shorter than 6 months (considering the visa expiry or other reasons).
A shorter stay could be due to any reason. It's difficult to say. It won't be because of the TRV expiry date because your parents' passports are valid for two years i.e. well after the TRV expiry.

In that case, I could still file an extension after they arrive here, I believe.
Yes, they can apply to extend their stay

Ganny

Star Member
Apr 30, 2014
A shorter stay could be due to any reason. It's difficult to say. It won't be because of the TRV expiry date because your parents' passports are valid for two years i.e. well after the TRV expiry.

Yes, they can apply to extend their stay
Great. Thank you.

Ganny

Star Member
Apr 30, 2014
Hi Bryanna, thanks for your assistance so far.

I recently spoke to an immigration consultant friend who explained my case to his fellow lawyers/consultants and got some negative answers. Apparently, they believe my parents may be either questioned at the Delhi immigration or at the POE regarding why they are visiting close to expiry and may be denied entry. I refuse to believe it as the CIC site doesn't say so..

I have booked their return tickets few days less than 6 months and planning to provide a letter explaining in case the officer asks that I shall be renewing their visa if the need be.

Questions.
1. Can Delhi immigration deny them boarding their flight citing visa expiry reason?
2. If the officer at POE provide a visitor record with exit date, can I apply for extension when they are here.
(even if the visitor record is only until the visa expiry date. Is there a minimum no. of days before an extension be applied)
3. If they are not given a date and allowed to stay for 6 months, do I still need to extend their visas?
(considering they are not planning to leave the country and return during their stay)

Your response will be relieving.

bonitaellada

Jul 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Bryanna, thanks for your assistance so far.

I recently spoke to an immigration consultant friend who explained my case to his fellow lawyers/consultants and got some negative answers. Apparently, they believe my parents may be either questioned at the Delhi immigration or at the POE regarding why they are visiting close to expiry and may be denied entry. I refuse to believe it as the CIC site doesn't say so..

I have booked their return tickets few days less than 6 months and planning to provide a letter explaining in case the officer asks that I shall be renewing their visa if the need be.

Questions.
1. Can Delhi immigration deny them boarding their flight citing visa expiry reason?
2. If the officer at POE provide a visitor record with exit date, can I apply for extension when they are here.
(even if the visitor record is only until the visa expiry date. Is there a minimum no. of days before an extension be applied)
3. If they are not given a date and allowed to stay for 6 months, do I still need to extend their visas?
(considering they are not planning to leave the country and return during their stay)

Your response will be relieving.
Earlier this year I have travelled with a visa that was about to expire (6 days before expiry). I didn't have any issues. The officer at the POE told me next time you want to visit, you need to apply for a new visa.
And she stamped 6 months stay.

Ganny

Star Member
Apr 30, 2014
Earlier this year I have travelled with a visa that was about to expire (6 days before expiry). I didn't have any issues. The officer at the POE told me next time you want to visit, you need to apply for a new visa.
And she stamped 6 months stay.
That's good news. Thanks for the reply.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
It's unfortunate when immigration consulates give incorrect information. Little knowledge is dangerous!

You cannot 'renew' their TRVs/visitor visas. They can only apply to extend their authorized stay when they are in Canada.

For new TRVs, they would need to apply from scratch to a visa office outside Canada, preferably when they return to India where their ties are the strongest.

I do NOT recommend giving a letter that states they will apply for new TRVs. It would imply that they have weak ties to return to India. On the contrary, they could carry evidence of their strong ties to India (property ownership, employment/ retirement pension renewal/ business, dependent family members + finances for their visit, etc).

Questions.
Airline officials will check to see if your parents have valid visas to travel to Canada.

Your parents must travel with both passports. Airline officials will probably handwrite (or sometimes not write) VIOP in the new passport i.e. 'Visa In Old Passport'.

As your parents have valid passports with validity longer than 6 months, the airline officials cannot stop them from boarding the flight.

Your parents could carry a copy of the IRCC rules. Here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/visa-validity-expiry-dates.html

All going well, your parents will be allowed to stay for 6 months i.e. no handwritten date in the passport or no visitor record.

Typically, extensions must be applied about 30 days/or even few days before the visitor status expires.

Not if they plan to return home before the 6 months are up

Ganny

Star Member
Apr 30, 2014
It's unfortunate when immigration consulates give incorrect information. Little knowledge is dangerous!

You cannot 'renew' their TRVs/visitor visas. They can only apply to extend their authorized stay when they are in Canada.

For new TRVs, they would need to apply from scratch to a visa office outside Canada, preferably when they return to India where their ties are the strongest.

I do NOT recommend giving a letter that states they will apply for new TRVs. It would imply that they have weak ties to return to India. On the contrary, they could carry evidence of their strong ties to India (property ownership, employment/ retirement pension renewal/ business, dependent family members + finances for their visit, etc).

Airline officials will check to see if your parents have valid visas to travel to Canada.

Your parents must travel with both passports. Airline officials will probably handwrite (or sometimes not write) VOIP in the new passport i.e. 'Visa In Old Passport'.

As your parents have valid passports with validity longer than 6 months, the airline officials cannot stop them from boarding the flight.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/visa-validity-expiry-dates.html

All going well, your parents will be allowed to stay for 6 months i.e. no handwritten date in the passport or no visitor record.

Typically, extensions must be applied about 30 days/or even few days before the visitor status expires.

Amazing! Thanks Bryanna!

Ganny

Star Member
Apr 30, 2014

Your parents must travel with both passports. Airline officials will probably handwrite (or sometimes not write) VIOP in the new passport i.e. 'Visa In Old Passport'.

Sorry, missed asking this one question. Does all this apply even on their second visit?
(Again, I was told the first visit they can be allowed to enter but not on their second visit.)

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Sorry, missed asking this one question. Does all this apply even on their second visit?
(Again, I was told the first visit they can be allowed to enter but not on their second visit.)
It applies to any visit/ any entry until the validity of their TRVs

Reactions: Ganny