+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering canada few days before TRV expiry date

Armiti

Apr 30, 2018
Hello,

My mom has a visitor visa in an old passport.The visa will expire on may 2019.My questions:

1-Can she entre to canada with 4 months valid visa and extend her stay here?

2-The valid visa is in old passport but she got her new passport.Is this visa accaptable?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hello,

My mom has a visitor visa in an old passport.The visa will expire on may 2019.My questions:

1-Can she entre to canada with 4 months valid visa and extend her stay here?

2-The valid visa is in old passport but she got her new passport.Is this visa accaptable?
1. Yes. How long she will be allowed to stay will depend on the CBSA officer at the port of entry.

2. It is acceptable. She must travel with both passports

Armiti

Apr 30, 2018
Thank you.
Can I extend her visa for 6 monthes more when she is in canada?
(if officer at airport let her to stay only 4 months)

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thank you.
Can I extend her visa for 6 monthes more when she is in canada?
(if officer at airport let her to stay only 4 months)
Sure you can try to apply to extend although of course no guarantee of approval or a 6 month extension. Should apply 30 days before expiry of initial authorised stay and whilst application is being processed would be on an implied status pending a decision.

Doublesjayy

Jan 15, 2019
Hi,

I have similar situations here.
I’m here in Canada as student.
And,

I have a vaild multiple-TRV and Study permit that both will expired on April 30, 2019.

Although, I will go back home on March ,and return to Canada and arrived on April 27, 2019.

Ps. I applied for PR and Open-work permit.
(While waiting for processes)
And, I’ll come back with my child and my partner which is, they both Canadian Citizen who was born in Canada.

“Questions

1. Will I have any problems about that ??
2. Can I return to Canada ??
3. Can I return while waiting for processing time.
4. ,and before my visa will expired in a few days.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019
Hi Guys,

I need some information on below
My Canada Visa expires on June 2019 and i got stamping till April 25th 2019 ( hand written) as i have came to canada in Oct 2018.. i have work permit till Sept 2019. can i stay in canada? until september2019 (or) do i need to return to india before April 25th 2019?
please reply ...

Zebra123456

Aug 1, 2019
Hi

Could you please help me understand a situation almost the same.

I have previously visited Canada on a TRV visa, my uncle wants me to visit him again.

My visa is expiring on the 11th Oct 2019 , a day before my old passport expires. (I have a new passport too now), so I just have two months of visa left from now.

Can I visit him for the second time, on this 10th August & come back on 10th September? That is almost a month before my TRV.

Will I have any issues? At the airport here or at POE?

I am just a little anxious now because I don’t know if the immigration officer will say No, this is not Ok. I don’t even need 6 months extension, because I am coming back a month before my TRV expires, but can I go with no problem?

hessamkojouri

Nov 16, 2019
Dear Sir/Madam,
My mom has a visitor visa and it will expire on late november 2019. Also expire date of her passport is same. The questions is: when is the deadline for entry into canada and how long can she stay there.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Dear Sir/Madam,
My mom has a visitor visa and it will expire on late november 2019. Also expire date of her passport is same. The questions is: when is the deadline for entry into canada and how long can she stay there.
If her passport is expiring within the next few weeks, she has little chance of even being allowed to board the plane. Status is not granted beyond passport expiry, so even if she is able to come to Canada, CBSA could very well refuse entry if they suspect she will overstay beyond November.

hessamkojouri

Nov 16, 2019
If her passport is expiring within the next few weeks, she has little chance of even being allowed to board the plane. Status is not granted beyond passport expiry, so even if she is able to come to Canada, CBSA could very well refuse entry if they suspect she will overstay beyond November.
Thank you for your reply. let me explain more. As I said before, the expire date of her passport and visa are same both on late November. she wants to travel to Canada on early July and she has decided to take new passport because she think it is better to has a new passport with 5 years validity. Hence, I want to know, is it possible for her to travel to Canada with new passport and the visa that is valid untill last November which is sticking on old passport ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for your reply. let me explain more. As I said before, the expire date of her passport and visa are same both on late November. she wants to travel to Canada on early July and she has decided to take new passport because she think it is better to has a new passport with 5 years validity. Hence, I want to know, is it possible for her to travel to Canada with new passport and the visa that is valid untill last November which is sticking on old passport ?
A new passport is something you should have mentioned in the first post.

She can travel with both passports prior to the TRV expiry.

Nick~Nick

Dec 20, 2013
My parents super visa is expiring in Sep 2024 and old passport in Oct 2024. They applied and got the new password. They want to come to Canada in end of March. Can they travel in end of March, tho visa will expire in next 5 months and old password in 6 months ?