Entering Canada as a Visitor before officially landing as a PR

jamesls1

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
Calgary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello!

Is it possible to visit Canada from the UK and activate my PR / do the landing process at a later date (when I return a few months later) or does it have to be when I land first time?

I have a UK passport and will obtain an eTA.

Thanks!

jamesls1

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
Calgary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ok thank you.

Can I request to enter Canada as a visitor at all or will they force me to land there and then?

The reason I ask is because I won't have an address for them to send the card to and I have to come back to the UK for personal reasons.

wstrn24

Feb 23, 2017
London, ON
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ok thank you.

Can I request to enter Canada as a visitor at all or will they force me to land there and then?

The reason I ask is because I won't have an address for them to send the card to and I have to come back to the UK for personal reasons.
In the old days, you can obtain the PR card at the airport when you enter the border, which means you need to apply it before hand. Not sure if they are still doing this... newcomers obviously wouldn't have a Canadian address...

jamesls1

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
Calgary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So does anyone know and can help me? Can I visit Canada as a visitor and delay my landing til another time? Thanks! Any help will be really appreciated.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Why is this a problem just complete your landing, declare goods to follow, get your SIN , open your bank account if not already done from UK then apply for your PR card when you come back later as you cannot apply from outside Canada.

You do not need to apply for your PR card on landing if you do not have an address, many people do not have an address on initial landing and apply later. You will need to get a PRTD to board a plane as and when you decide to come back to settle but that should be no issue to get at all.

As you know your COPR has limited validity so you will kick yourself if anything unexpected happens and you cannot make it back. After all once landed you can stay away for near 3 years and still meet the residency obligation if you stay the following 2 years without leaving.

Get the landing over with would be what I would do as opposed to even thinking about any visitor option which is possibly not an option , although I do not know,once your COPR has been issued and is in the system.

Last edited: