+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada as a tourist with Latvian residence card.

Jevyyy

Jan 5, 2021
Hey there,

Does anyone know if it's possible to enter Canada as a tourist with Latvian residence card only, without showing passport? Or will they ask for passport anyway?

My whole family is Latvian, but my mom switched to Russian passport for retirement purposes over 3 years ago. With the current situation between Russia and Ukraine I'm worried that she won't be allowed to enter Canada. Does anyone know if this is the case and if Latvian residence card can be used instead of Russian passport?

Thanks,
Jev

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hey there,

Does anyone know if it's possible to enter Canada as a tourist with Latvian residence card only, without showing passport? Or will they ask for passport anyway?

My whole family is Latvian, but my mom switched to Russian passport for retirement purposes over 3 years ago. With the current situation between Russia and Ukraine I'm worried that she won't be allowed to enter Canada. Does anyone know if this is the case and if Latvian residence card can be used instead of Russian passport?

Thanks,
Jev
1. She needs a valid passport, if it is Russian, she will need a TRV (visitor visa) Holders of Latvian passports require an ETF to travel to Canada.

Reactions: Jevyyy

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hey there,

Thanks,
Jev
A residence card is not a travel document, so no. She won't even be allowed to board the plane without showing a valid passport.

I assume OP's mom had to have renounced her Latvian citizenship to gain Russian citizenship since Russia does not recognize this dual citizenship case.

There are currently no prohibitions for Russian passport holders to apply for Canadian visas at the moment.

Reactions: Jevyyy
Sep 3, 2022
j'ai fait une demande de visa touristes afin de prendre part a un furum. Mai a ce jour, la date du furum est dépassée et j'ai toujours pas encore obtenu mon visa. J'aimerais savoir malgré le faite que la date du furum soit dépassée est-il possible que je puice obtenir mon visa ? Pour rapel, la biométrie a déjà été faite

Sep 3, 2022
I have a problem and I would like some help please I have applied for a tourist visa in order to take part in a furum. May to date, the date of the furum has passed and I still have not yet obtained my visa. I would like to know despite the fact that the date of furum has passed, is it possible for me to obtain my visa? As a reminder, biometrics has already been done