+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entered Canada with Travel Document on H&C grounds. Safe to apply for PR Card?

PrincessLuna

Jan 3, 2013
Hi,
I got a Travel document issued on H&C grounds (being removed as a minor). I have re entered Canada and am now in BC.

I have not yet applied for a PR card as I am unsure whether I will be deported for not meeting the residency requirements.

Some people say I can apply for a PR card based on the fact that I got a TD and some say it is risky as the officer dealing with the PR card may overlook that and just refuse me due to residency requirements.

What should I do and what about the SIN card?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can use your travel document to get your SIN card at any location of service Canada

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/proof.shtml

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Based on having been granted a TD, you can apply for a PR card now but be aware that in order to meet the residency requirements, you should still stay in Canada for 2 years straight now.

PrincessLuna

Jan 3, 2013
Leon said:
Based on having been granted a TD, you can apply for a PR card now but be aware that in order to meet the residency requirements, you should still stay in Canada for 2 years straight now.
Thanks for your reply.

But I have 2 concerns.

1) Is there a risk of having to go through an appeal process because the officer denies issuing a PR card based on the residency requirements not being met despite getting a TD?

2) Is the PR card even necessary as it is supposed to be only for traveling? Will it serve me any purpose as I can't get out of Canada for 2 years. If it is only for travelling, doesn't applying for one seem like I have the intention of travelling and hence breaching the residency obligation.

I have no reason to travel and have no intention of leaving anytime soon.

I am concerned because the application for for the PR card asks for details about the residency obligation but does have any space to fill in H&C grounds like the form for TD had.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. It shouldn't be if you got a TD. They may however drag your application on forever but if you are not going to travel, that's fine.

2. If you are going to stay in Canada anyway, you don't really need the PR card. If you find that you need it in the next couple of years, you could always apply for it.

metaliza

Aug 29, 2013
To: PrincessLuna

I was taken out of Canada when I was a minor also and have not fulfilled my residency obligations either, how were you able to get a travel document? what steps did you take to get it? I'd really appreciate it if you could somewhat tell me what steps I can take to get there. Please help

Thank you!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
metaliza said:
To: PrincessLuna

I was taken out of Canada when I was a minor also and have not fulfilled my residency obligations either, how were you able to get a travel document? what steps did you take to get it? I'd really appreciate it if you could somewhat tell me what steps I can take to get there. Please help

Thank you!
You can start reading her story from her old posts here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/profiles/PrincessLuna-u377604.html;sa,showPosts;start,30