+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entered Canada via US with expired PR card

Apr 14, 2022
Hi everyone,

I entered Canada via US land border with expired PR card. My PR card expired in 2010. The border officer questioned me a lot on my reasons not fulfilling RO. Finally he said he was not satisfied my reasons but he would not issue me removal order now and let me in. He asked me to renew my PR card within 30 days so as to let IRCC to review my case. He didn't issue any document to me, but I saw the officer kept typing on his computer about what I said. Looks like recording my case officially.

I would like to ask if anyone has similar experience? Shall I really go to renew PR card now to let them investigate my case? Or I better wait till 2 years later to renew my PR card?

Also when I go to apply BC ID card, the staff said if I have expired PR card, I cannot apply BC ID card. Even though I showed her my landing paper, the staff still said not ok.
Could anyone advise me how could I apply BC ID card? Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

I entered Canada via US land border with expired PR card. My PR card expired in 2010. The border officer questioned me a lot on my reasons not fulfilling RO. Finally he said he was not satisfied my reasons but he would not issue me removal order now and let me in. He asked me to renew my PR card within 30 days so as to let IRCC to review my case. He didn't issue any document to me, but I saw the officer kept typing on his computer about what I said. Looks like recording my case officially.

I would like to ask if anyone has similar experience? Shall I really go to renew PR card now to let them investigate my case? Or I better wait till 2 years later to renew my PR card?

Also when I go to apply BC ID card, the staff said if I have expired PR card, I cannot apply BC ID card. Even though I showed her my landing paper, the staff still said not ok.
Could anyone advise me how could I apply BC ID card? Thanks!
I assume you don't meet the residency requirements.

How long have you been outside of Canada? If you were to renew your PR card now, what would be your H&C argument for doing so?

I can't comment on the BC ID card. I'm sure someone else will.

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
I do not have recent experience with getting an ID in BC (was able to get mine with landing paper days after original landing) but their website makes clear what the requirements are. I would agree that it would be difficult for a PR who has not been compliant with RO and who doesn’t have a valid PR card to be able to get an ID.

https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/visit-dl-office/Pages/Accepted-ID.aspx

Depending on your timeline, when did you originally land, how much time have you spent in Canada in the last five years from date of return, what was the reason for noncompliance with RO?, I would recommend caution in any further interactions. The CBSA may not have reported you but detailing your responses in the system could certainly be used in the future if not compliant.

Apr 14, 2022
I assume you don't meet the residency requirements.

How long have you been outside of Canada? If you were to renew your PR card now, what would be your H&C argument for doing so?

I can't comment on the BC ID card. I'm sure someone else will.
Thanks for your reply.

I was not in Canada in the past 5 years indeed, to take care my ill parents in India.

I'm afraid if I renew now, my PR status may be revoked, so I want to wait 2 years, but I'm not sure if I can ignore the officer's request.

Apr 14, 2022
I do not have recent experience with getting an ID in BC (was able to get mine with landing paper days after original landing) but their website makes clear what the requirements are. I would agree that it would be difficult for a PR who has not been compliant with RO and who doesn’t have a valid PR card to be able to get an ID.

Depending on your timeline, when did you originally land, how much time have you spent in Canada in the last five years from date of return, what was the reason for noncompliance with RO?, I would recommend caution in any further interactions. The CBSA may not have reported you but detailing your responses in the system could certainly be used in the future if not compliant.
Thanks for your reply.

I somehow search icbc website which mentioned landing paper is also acceptable that's why I tried. Do you mean that I should not apply for BC ID card now?

I don't meet RO currently, so I want to wait till 2 years to renew my PR card. I just wonder if the comments in system will affect my PR renewal 2 years later even if I meet RO by then.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I don't meet RO currently, so I want to wait till 2 years to renew my PR card. I just wonder if the comments in system will affect my PR renewal 2 years later even if I meet RO by then.
They will not affect it if you have met the residency obligation at that time. (Note, apply with at least a small buffer of days over the 730 minimum, just to avoid longer processing)

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
I'm afraid if I renew now, my PR status may be revoked, so I want to wait 2 years, but I'm not sure if I can ignore the officer's request.
Do you mean that I should not apply for BC ID card now?

Getting through the border (with issues likely documented in system) may have been because the guard wanted to be lenient; applying for a PR card when you have only a couple of days in 5 years is a recipe for disaster. You may get lucky and have H&C approved, but a denial is a reasonable result. I would not apply for PR card, have any interactions with CBSA, and definitely not leave Canada until you are firmly back in compliance with RO.

Regardless of what the guard requested, you are not required to apply for a PR card at this point. It may be more difficult over the next couple of years, but there is no requirement that you have one.

Last edited:
Reactions: asaeed100

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks for your reply.

I somehow search icbc website which mentioned landing paper is also acceptable that's why I tried. Do you mean that I should not apply for BC ID card now?

I think it's hard to get IDs in BC with only an expired PR card (and COPR years ago obtained at landing).

How about your BC Medical? Are you able to use it? (heard others have issue with that as well. If so, you may want to get private emergency health insurnace ...just in case)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

You can use landing documents only if you landed recently. Unfortunately OP is going to find that getting ID, health card, etc. becomes much more difficult without a valid PR card. Sounds like the CBSA agent didn’t want to fill out the paperwork themselves and they got very lucky.

Apr 14, 2022
I think it's hard to get IDs in BC with only an expired PR card (and COPR years ago obtained at landing).

How about your BC Medical? Are you able to use it? (heard others have issue with that as well. If so, you may want to get private emergency health insurnace ...just in case)
I haven't apply the medical yet... will try though.

Apr 14, 2022
Thanks for the replies. I think I will stay here for 2 years and then apply to renew my PR card.

I just hope to have the BC ID card, so that I can buy a home here and settle down

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the replies. I think I will stay here for 2 years and then apply to renew my PR card.

I just hope to have the BC ID card, so that I can buy a home here and settle down
Unfortunately you may need to delay plans. All comes with the risk of not meeting RO and trying to reenter Canada.

Reactions: YVR123

Eusufzai

Oct 30, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
Doc's Request.
12-12-2013
Nomination.....
24-07-2015
AOR Received.
02-12-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
13-01-2016
Med's Request
13-01-2016
Med's Done....
06-02-2016
Interview........
Waived
I haven't apply the medical yet... will try though.
Hello LoveCanada2019

Greetings! Would you mind to let us know when did you receive PR card and when you first landed in Canada. How long did you stay within the 5 years period of your PR Card validity period.

Best regards,

Eusufzai

Apr 14, 2022
Hello LoveCanada2019

Greetings! Would you mind to let us know when did you receive PR card and when you first landed in Canada. How long did you stay within the 5 years period of your PR Card validity period.

Best regards,

Eusufzai
I first landed Canada around 2005, probably stay few months during my PR valid period...