+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enter Canada with 20 days left on Vistor visa

K3nda

Oct 3, 2018
Nova Scotia
Hi everyone,

So my partner and I are submitting a sponsorship app but I intend to go back home and see my family for a few weeks and use my vistor visa to come back but it expires by the end of May would that be an issue ? The CIC website says it’s ok as long as it’s still valid at the time of entry but could the immigration at the airport deny entry for the fact that there’s only 20 or less days left on the visa ? Note that I can’t apply for a new one from my home country because I can’t show any ties to it.
And will I also need a return ticket to my home country ?

Thank you

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi everyone,

So my partner and I are submitting a sponsorship app but I intend to go back home and see my family for a few weeks and use my vistor visa to come back but it expires by the end of May would that be an issues ? The CIC website says it’s ok as long as it’s still valid but could the immigration at the airport deny entry for the fact that there’s only 20 or less days left on the visa ? Note that I can’t apply for a new one from my home country because I can’t show any ties to it.
And will I also need a return ticket to my home country ?

Thank you
If you're submitting a PR application as common-law then hope you're able to prove at least 12 months of continuous cohabitation. A break of a 'few weeks' might reset the common-law clock.

The officer at the POE will determine whether or not you're allowed back into the country and for how long. You would want to bring evidence of ties to your home country (but you don't have these ties). This might lead to either being denied entry (considering how long you've already stayed so far in Canada) or a limited stay.

You will need a return ticket to board the flight. Airlines may not allow you to board with a one-way ticket traveling on a TRV.

IMO, you must reconsider your decision to leave Canada to meet your family

K3nda

Oct 3, 2018
Nova Scotia
If you're submitting a PR application as common-law then hope you're able to prove at least 12 months of continuous cohabitation. A break of a 'few weeks' might reset the common-law clock.

The officer at the POE will determine whether or not you're allowed back into the country and for how long. You would want to bring evidence of ties to your home country (but you don't have these ties). This might lead to either being denied entry (considering how long you've already stayed so far in Canada) or a limited stay.

You will need a return ticket to board the flight. Airlines may not allow you to board with a one-way ticket traveling on a TRV.

IMO, you must reconsider your decision to leave Canada to meet your family

Thank you for your answer but we are married and I can show my ties to Canada, the app would be in process, my trip would be around 3 weeks only would that still be an issue or a risk ?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thank you for your answer but we are married and I can show my ties to Canada, the app would be in process, my trip would be around 3 weeks only would that still be an issue or a risk ?
Have you submitted your spousal PR app as an inland applicant?

K3nda

Oct 3, 2018
Nova Scotia
As you're probably aware, submitting an inland spousal PR application comes with the risk of not being allowed back into Canada if the applicant travels abroad

I am, but I read in this forum that short period only can be allowed if the PA has a valid visa and travel document.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I am, but I read in this forum that short period only can be allowed if the PA has a valid visa and travel document.
It does not matter if someone went abroad for a day or a month, there is always a risk of not being allowed back in.

For your inland PR application, you are expected to stay with your partner at the same Canadian address while your application is being processed.

A visit of three weeks abroad is too long + you do not have any ties to your home country to demonstrate if you're asked at the POE.

If you're allowed back in then great. If you're denied entry then you will need to submit a new spousal PR application (outland).

It's your call

K3nda

Oct 3, 2018
Nova Scotia
It does not matter if someone went abroad for a day or a month, there is always a risk of not being allowed back in.

For your inland PR application, you are expected to stay with your partner at the same Canadian address while your application is being processed.

A visit of three weeks abroad is too long + you do not have any ties to your home country to demonstrate if you're asked at the POE.

If you're allowed back in then great. If you're denied entry then you will need to submit a new spousal PR application (outland).

It's your call

What if we postpone the application and I go ? With a non active application and less than a month left on a vistor visa would there be an issue to come back ?

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
What if we postpone the application and I go ? With a non active application and less than a month left on a vistor visa would there be an issue to come back ?
No one can tell you for sure, but by leaving you are putting yourself at risk of being refused entry. You could be perfectly fine and have no issues, but the chances of refusal are greater than 0%....there is a chance you could be refused entry. Everything can also be perfectly fine, it is up to you if you want to take a risk. If you get refused then you can apply outland.

Reactions: Bryanna

K3nda

Oct 3, 2018
Nova Scotia
Thank you both for answering . I called CIC and what she suggested is postponing the app and said that as long as you have a valid visa you’re more likely to be granted entry just be prepared for questions about the short trip since i stayed for 3 months in Canada and will leave for a month and come back. So I will have a return ticket and a proof of funds, what else can I get to make sure I have the required documents? Marriage certificate? Job offer ?

I’m aware that no one can guarantee anything but I could use some help to at least increase my chances for the second visit just so I can be prepared
Thanks again