+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enough proofs to show cohabitation for a year? And some other questions!

V_

Star Member
Feb 26, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico (Chile)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 4th 2016
Doc's Request.
August 30th 2016: Police Cert from Canada
Nomination.....
SA June 23rd 2016. CSQ: app. received June 30th 2016, CSQ received August 22nd 2016
AOR Received.
AOR1 none, AOR2: August 17th 2016
File Transfer...
On Ecas: July 15th 2016
Med's Done....
Upfront: Feb 19 th 2016
Hi all!

Still in the process of preparing our files for the common law sponsorship, and I have few questions. I'm Canadian and my partner is from Chile.

I'm positive that we have good quality proofs to show the evolution of our relationship (almost 6 years), but I'm worried not having enough proofs to show our continuous cohabitation for a year in Chile (Jan 2014 to Jan 2015). We have:

- A one year rental lease under the name of my partner. He was the one responsible for the lease, but my name appears on the contract as his partner.

-Some receipts of payments of common expenses from the building under my partner's name

-Some letters from the bank for my partner with our address on it.

On my side, I just have 2 letters from friends mailed to me to this address and my cell phone contract showing the address.

1) Would all this be enough evidence?

2) I have seen on this forum some countries that are labelled as more "at risk" than other ones. Do you guys think that Chile is one of them? Chileans don't need a visa to come to Canada as tourists.

3) What are the general criterias for a sponsor to be approved? What are they looking at a part of the financial means?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
What you have is pretty good proof of cohabitation. The letters used as proof of cohabitation should ideally include the envelopes to show they were mailed to that address; if they are official documents or bills, the address on the letter is good enough. Do you have utility bills with both names on them, or one utility under your name, one under your partner's? In addition, you need two statutory declarations from family members or friends attesting that your relationship is genuine. They should also include that they know you two lived together for one year as a couple. The landlord or a neighbour could also write a letter or affidavit stating they know you two were living together for one year.

Generally if a country's citizens do not need a visa to enter Canada, that means CIC is less likely to suspect a marriage of convenience.

V_

Star Member
Feb 26, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico (Chile)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 4th 2016
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SA June 23rd 2016. CSQ: app. received June 30th 2016, CSQ received August 22nd 2016
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
canadianwoman said:
What you have is pretty good proof of cohabitation. The letters used as proof of cohabitation should ideally include the envelopes to show they were mailed to that address; if they are official documents or bills, the address on the letter is good enough. Do you have utility bills with both names on them, or one utility under your name, one under your partner's? In addition, you need two statutory declarations from family members or friends attesting that your relationship is genuine. They should also include that they know you two lived together for one year as a couple. The landlord or a neighbour could also write a letter or affidavit stating they know you two were living together for one year.

Generally if a country's citizens do not need a visa to enter Canada, that means CIC is less likely to suspect a marriage of convenience.
Thanks a lot for your answer! We do have utility bills from the appartment, but unfortunately, they don't have either name on it, as it only mentions "to the occupant". I was planning to sent them anyway, explaining the situation in a letter.

Do we NEED to send two statutory declarations from family members or friends attesting that our relationship is genuine? I haven't seen anywhere that is was mandatory. I think we have plenty of proofs to show our relationship is genuine and I wasn't planning of sending any since we lived for the continuous year in Chile and now we live together in Canada (not completed a whole year yet in Canada).

Thanks again!

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
V_ said:
Thanks a lot for your answer! We do have utility bills from the appartment, but unfortunately, they don't have either name on it, as it only mentions "to the occupant". I was planning to sent them anyway, explaining the situation in a letter.

Do we NEED to send two statutory declarations from family members or friends attesting that our relationship is genuine? I haven't seen anywhere that is was mandatory. I think we have plenty of proofs to show our relationship is genuine and I wasn't planning of sending any since we lived for the continuous year in Chile and now we live together in Canada (not completed a whole year yet in Canada).

Thanks again!
You definitley need at least 2 notized letters from friends, family, landlord etc testifying that they know you have both lived together for a year.

It's ok if you have lived in 2 differnt places in 12 months. so long as they together form 12 months, and you can prove that using the contracts or leases from each place, you'll be fine.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
V_ said:
Do we NEED to send two statutory declarations from family members or friends attesting that our relationship is genuine? I haven't seen anywhere that is was mandatory.
Are you applying outland? If so you need to go by the country specific guide, for Chile is here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3908e.pdf

This guide does NOT require 2 stat declarations from friends/family, so for you they would be optional to include.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You can use letters or affidavits from family, friends, or your landlord to bolster your evidence that you have lived together for one year.

V_

Star Member
Feb 26, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico (Chile)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 4th 2016
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Yes, Rob is right. I forgot to mention that we are applying Outland, even though we currently live together in Canada.

So the letters from friends/family would in that case be optional, but could be added as evidence.

I appreciate all the help! Thanks!