+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Engineering Association Most Friendly to Internationally-Educated and Experienced Engineers

Alamat

Apr 3, 2020
After researching the Canadian job market for jobs in engineering (electrical in particular), I have noticed that many of the jobs require 'Professional Engineering designation or eligibility for registration'. So it is highly advantageous for an engineering graduate to become an Engineer-in-Training (EIT) or Member-in-Training (MIT) at one on Canada's Provincial Engineering Associations. However, graduating from a non-Canadian university can make the process of becoming an EIT both expensive and lengthy, as the majority of applicants get assigned multiple exams as part of their education assessment.

The upside here is newcomers who have not yet received any job offers are free to register with any provincial association they want. So the question here is: which provincial is most friendly to engineers with international credentials and experience?

I believe this question can be further broken down two sections:

1- Which association is least likely to assign a large number of technical exams as a part of their education assessment process?

2- Which association is most likely to accredit foreign experience towards the 4 years required to become a P. Eng.? (note that, at best, only 3 years of non-Canadian experience can be accredited)

Many members explain the difficulties they faced with POE (Ontario). Are these difficulties specific to PEO, or can one face them with say APEGA or APEGS? For people who went through this process, what do you advise? Which Association do you recommend?

Beeba

Jun 20, 2019
Hello Alamat,
I have a same query and your guidance on this matter would be much appreciated.