+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

End objective = perm resident. Currently have no status.

tamaramoore

Oct 31, 2012
Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that the following is the best way to approach my fiance's current situation. (I am a Canadian citizen by birth, living in Montreal with my fiance for six months now.)

Situation = My fiance entered Canada with a Working Holiday Visa on Sept 10, 2011. On April 20, 2012 my fiance submitted an application to the Quebec Gov for a Quebec Selection Certificate under the Independent Worker category. On Sept 9, 2012 my fiance's Working Holiday Visa expired. My fiance thought he had implied status until a decision was made regarding his Quebec Selection Certificate. On Oct 22, 2012 my fiance received the Quebec Selection Certificate application back in the mail as denied due to being incompatible with the category applied for.
Currently, my fiancee has no status.

Is it best for him to apply for restoration of status (to ask to be granted a Visitor Visa via an application from within Canada)?

We are planning to be married within the next two months. Once we have our marriage certificate I will be applying to sponsor him via an inland spousal sponsorship.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Apply for a restoration of status as a visitor before 3 months have passed since he went out of status. Write as grounds that you are about to get married and will be filing for sponsorship.

When you apply inland, send a visit visa extension request and request for open work permit to be granted upon first stage approval along with your application. That way, his visit status will be tied to his application and he will lose no time getting the open work permit once you get first stage approval.