+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment Start Date vs PGWP Issue Date

cecandconfused

Star Member
Dec 17, 2014
Hi everyone,

Quick question in regards to filling out EE. Under the work history, it asks the Start Date of your employment and I've put in my start date, which was June 1st 2013.
I did not receive my PGWP until Nov 15th 2013, so I was working under my Student Work Permit till Nov. 15th 2013.

Should I input June 1st 2013 as the Start Date or Should I input Nov. 15th 2013?

I don't want CIC accusing me of misinterpretation in any case. I called CIC and unfortunately the agents on the phone have not been trained about filling out EE profile at all.

Any thoughts? Appreciate it.

cecandconfused

Star Member
Dec 17, 2014
cecandconfused said:
Hi everyone,

Quick question in regards to filling out EE. Under the work history, it asks the Start Date of your employment and I've put in my start date, which was June 1st 2013.
I did not receive my PGWP until Nov 15th 2013, so I was working under my Student Work Permit till Nov. 15th 2013.

Should I input June 1st 2013 as the Start Date or Should I input Nov. 15th 2013?

I don't want CIC accusing me of misinterpretation in any case. I called CIC and unfortunately the agents on the phone have not been trained about filling out EE profile at all.

Any input on this?

john1818

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cecandconfused said:
Hi everyone,

Can I apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class before I complete the one-year work experience, since it will take time for CIC to process my application?

No, you must meet all requirements for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class at the time you create an Express Entry profile.

You must:

plan to live outside the province of Quebec,
have at least one year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada within the last three years before you apply (academic internships, co-op placements and part-time work during your studies do not count),
have gained your experience in Canada with the proper work authorization,
meet the required language levels needed for the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill level of your job for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening) and
create a profile on the Express Entry system.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=675&t=6

So, to answer your question. Your work start date should be the "Nov 15th 2013"