+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employment History - Reference Letter for company no longer exists & Proof for Short time work

wendy_

Dec 6, 2017
Background:

I received the invitation for the CEC(Canadian Experience Class).

Work History:

Job A: Sep 19, 2016 - Nov 10, 2016 (Less than 2 months)
Job B: Dec 19 , 2016 - Mar 19 , 2017 (3 months)
Job C: Apr 26, 2017 - present (10 months so far)

Questions:

1. Job A is not up to NOC standards. I have no paperwork other than my pay stubs. I paid my tax suing those pay stubs. There is no way I can get any more proper paperwork or reference letter from this company. Should I still mention it in my work history? Or should I list this period as unemployed in my personal history? I don't want mis-present anything. This job is not up to NOC standards. I am unable to obtain any document other than my pay stubs. And I am still eligible for CEC without using this period as part of my employment time.

2. Job B. I was laid off when this company shut down. I managed to track down the company co-owner and he agreed to provide a reference letter. How should this reference letter be since the company no longer exists? Should it still include the original company letter head. telephone, email? Should it also explain that the person signing the letter co-owned the company?

3. Job C. I have worked remotely for 6 months during this period. Should this be specifically mentioned in my reference letter, since in my personal history, the residence during that 6 months is in a different province?

Thank you all so much. Please let me know if there is any more information needed to clarify my situation.

Last edited:

msmahmood

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If i were you, I would decline this Invitation and only mention Job C under "Work Experience".
Job A and Job B can be mentioned in personal history when you are applying for Residency after getting the ITA.

wendy_

Dec 6, 2017
If i were you, I would decline this Invitation and only mention Job C under "Work Experience".
Job A and Job B can be mentioned in personal history when you are applying for Residency after getting the ITA.
Thanks for your input.

I have already finished my upfront medical examiners two weeks ago. Also, I have obtained police certificate from my home country.
If I am to decline this offer, can I still use these documents?

Also, if I mention a job experience in my personal hostory not to score points, simply to present things accurately, am I not required to provided the same document for the work experience that actually give me points?

Thanks again!

Reactions: msmahmood

wendy_

Dec 6, 2017
Just to clarify, I already received an invitation. It is based on Job B and Job C.

msmahmood

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your input.

I have already finished my upfront medical examiners two weeks ago. Also, I have obtained police certificate from my home country.
If I am to decline this offer, can I still use these documents?
I know PCC is valid for 6months, but medical is actually linked to the application. I would give CIC a call about this that you want to decline the invitation but you have already done medical, what should be the next step?

Also, if I mention a job experience in my personal hostory not to score points, simply to present things accurately, am I not required to provided the same document for the work experience that actually give me points?
Correct, personal history you are not required to provide proof unless you are specifically asked for it later on in the application, and if you are, it wouldn't be a reference letter with jobs responsibilities etc, it would just be to confirm you worked there. I don't know of anybody asked to provide proof for personal history though, it just simply isn't relevant if you are not claiming that experience.

Reactions: wendy_

wendy_

Dec 6, 2017
I know PCC is valid for 6months, but medical is actually linked to the application. I would give CIC a call about this that you want to decline the invitation but you have already done medical, what should be the next step?
Thank you so much for your answer. This has been great help! The part about the personal history is exactly I was looking for!

I will likely to provide details about my situation of Job B in the letter of explanation and keep this invitation.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Background:

I received the invitation for the CEC(Canadian Experience Class).

Work History:

Job A: Sep 19, 2016 - Nov 10, 2016 (Less than 2 months)
Job B: Dec 19 , 2016 - Mar 19 , 2017 (3 months)
Job C: Apr 26, 2017 - present (10 months so far)

Questions:

1. Job A is not up to NOC standards. I have no paperwork other than my pay stubs. I paid my tax suing those pay stubs. There is no way I can get any more proper paperwork or reference letter from this company. Should I still mention it in my work history? Or should I list this period as unemployed in my personal history? I don't want mis-present anything. This job is not up to NOC standards. I am unable to obtain any document other than my pay stubs. And I am still eligible for CEC without using this period as part of my employment time.

Not sure what you mean by "not up to NOC standards." Do you mean it is skill level C or D? In that case, it is not eligible, you should not list it in your profile; you should only list it in your personal history, no documents required. Of course you do not claim to be unemployed when you were in fact employed, that would be misrepresentation; no idea why you would even think that is a good idea : )

2. Job B. I was laid off when this company shut down. I managed to track down the company co-owner and he agreed to provide a reference letter. How should this reference letter be since the company no longer exists? Should it still include the original company letter head. telephone, email? Should it also explain that the person signing the letter co-owned the company?

Same as any other reference letter, except obviously not on letterhead. Just explain it in the letter.

3. Job C. I have worked remotely for 6 months during this period. Should this be specifically mentioned in my reference letter, since in my personal history, the residence during that 6 months is in a different province?

Yes, of course.

wendy_

Dec 6, 2017
Thanks a lot for your reply. I will list Job A in my personal history. I was considering labeling unemployed because I won’t be able to obtain more documents to prove it other than the pay stubs.

msmahmood

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much for your answer. This has been great help! The part about the personal history is exactly I was looking for!

I will likely to provide details about my situation of Job B in the letter of explanation and keep this invitation.
Yeah i can see that working, it would help if with a reference letter from Job B, you can also provide some sort of proof that the person who issued you the letter was in-fact owner of the company.

wendy_

Dec 6, 2017
Yeah i can see that working, it would help if with a reference letter from Job B, you can also provide some sort of proof that the person who issued you the letter was in-fact owner of the company.
Would a business registration record work? I think it is public information on government website. No idea of an official way to get it.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Would a business registration record work? I think it is public information on government website. No idea of an official way to get it.
Doesn't have to be official, just print the web page.

classico33

Jul 4, 2023
hey! hope you're well :) I know it's been while - but did you end up getting your PR? did you have to specify that you worked remotely for Job C? was this within canada? and did this remote experience from a canadian company count towards points for your PR as canadian experience?