+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employer Contract binding

k3vzz

Star Member
Feb 16, 2019
When I went to ask for my BC PNP Documentations to my employer, they are only willing to give it to me if I sign a paperwork stating I will stay with the organization for atleast one year and if I leave I will have to pay one paystub.
Is it legal for a nonprofit organization to do so?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
When I went to ask for my BC PNP Documentations to my employer, they are only willing to give it to me if I sign a paperwork stating I will stay with the organization for atleast one year and if I leave I will have to pay one paystub.
So firstly it's perfectly okay for an employer to ask you to stay for one year, but they can't legally enforce it. You should remind them that slavery in Canada has been abolished, you're free to leave at any time. That being said, it's normal for a company to ask you to stay for a certain period, but that's referred to as a "promise".

A penalty of one pay stub for leaving or leaving early sounds illegal, but I'm not 100% sure, it depends on how they structured the contract and if you're working as a contractor.

Just the sound of this is a big red flag by the way.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Get a consult with a BC employment lawyer.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
A company or non-profit is under no obligation to support your nomination through the BC PNP program. Your employer could have just said no. Consult a lawyer.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Don't even consult a lawyer. Why are you wasting your time with this company? The fact they're making these demands which at least most Canadians I know would never agree to makes this sound like not good people.

Get a different job.