+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Emigrating from The United States

brosef77

Apr 30, 2011
Hello, let me start off with this forum has been very informative and beneficial to my endeavor to immigrate to Canada. A little backround on myself:

I am a US citizen.
I am currently a university student.
I plan to apply in 2012 after i receive my degree.
No Canadian education.
No Canadian work experience.

I have a few simple questions if anyone has the time to help:

My girlfriend is a Canadian, she is basically my reason for emigrating. We will not be common law partners at the time of my emigration. I am curious as to how difficult it is for a US citizen to immigrate to Canada? I speak/write basic French and have about 1 year of work experience in my current field(I am an Accountant). What is the process i must follow? Any tips, advice or tricks I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.
-Joesph

PS,
how long does the whole process take?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to look into what immigration class you might qualify under. According to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list you would not be able to apply as a skilled worker unless you have a job offer. Most provincial nominee programs also need a job offer. Quebec skilled worker doesn't need a job offer but is your gf in Quebec? If not, it would not make sense to apply there.

If you go to Canada as a visitor, you could see if you can get a job offer. If you get one, as an accountant, it should not be hard for you to get a 3 year work permit under NAFTA, see http://www.canadavisa.com/nafta-temporary-work-permit-canada.html During that time, you would qualify as common law partners and your gf could sponsor you. Through spousal sponsorship through the US, you should have your PR in no more than a year. The employer could also sponsor you through a provincial nominee program.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is illegal to work while you are visiting. Interviewing for jobs while on visitor status is not illegal as far as I know. Still, you probably shouldn't announce it when you go through passport control that you are coming to look for a job.

You could also since you are a student look into a 1 year open work permit: http://www.bunac.org/usa/workcanada/

brosef77

Apr 30, 2011
Yes, I meant interviewing. And that is a GREAT suggestion, I was reading on CIC's website and saw that I needed a job offer, I was unsure if job seeking while visiting would get me deported and banned for 5 years haha. Do I have to tell potential employers I'll be requiring sponsorship? Do I need the sponsorship? Or can I just apply for the visa when they have given me an offer of employment?

By the way, I appreciate the help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you go for a NAFTA visa, I already posted a link somewhere above, you just need a job offer for one of the occupations on their list (Accountant) and then you can go to the border with your $150 and get your work permit on the spot. As far as I know, that is how it works anyway. Being able to get a NAFTA work permit is a good thing because if you weren't, you would need the employer to do a lot of paperwork for you if you were to get a work permit.

brosef77

Apr 30, 2011
Well it appears NAFTA is the best route to go with. It really simplifies this process. I guess its a perk of being North American :)

I appreciate your advise, thanks a lot