+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Email from CIC that PR card renewal needs secondary review

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
This post is in response to a mix of queries which are not precisely about referrals to Secondary Review. It warrants remembering that not all non-routine PR card application processing is Secondary Review, and on the other hand, that SR is not necessarily focused on the Residency Determination (assessment of compliance with the PR Residency Obligation).

Overall: no need to overthink things!

For purposes of responding to items in the application, and for responding to requests for additional documentation or information, there is no need to overthink things. Use common sense. Respond to the item or request in the way that, to your best grasp and understanding, is responsive to what is being asked, being honest and forthright, trying to genuinely answer what is asked with your best understanding of what a complete and accurate answer is for you in your circumstances.

Sure, sometimes explanations are called for. But it is usually better to keep the explanations to a minimum unless the situation truly demands an explanation.

Keep it simple. As simple as you can. And direct. To the point.

IRCC is mostly looking for the information itself. Not explanations for the information. Not reasons or qualifying commentary.

IRCC will figure things out. Insinuations to the contrary are grossly exaggerated in forum discussions. Sure, IRCC is a bureaucracy and it will get things wrong sometimes . . . but they tend to get things wrong a lot more often when things are complex, convoluted, subject to explanation.

As long as what you submit is truthful, not evasive, not misleading or deceitful, IRCC will assess and apply the rules appropriately (with rare exceptions). If your submission is not precisely what IRCC was looking for, IRCC will still sort it out. The key is that the raw information is there, and is accurate (truthful).

Moreover, NO NEED TO WORRY about the big thing, that is, about losing PR status so long as you are IN CANADA, staying in Canada and are not a lot short of being in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation and have not made any significant material misrepresentations (to CIC, IRCC, or CBSA, ever).

Worst case scenario for the PR settled and living in Canada, even one who has really been cutting-it-close: a delay in getting the PR card.

mats said:
Friends, need some clarifications as I prepare for my PR Card renewal-
1) related to Questions 19 and 21. Should the address during travel be included in Qs 19? Or is Q19 only of places you have actually lived? Some other place I remember reading as address history to include places where we have been for at least 6 months, not sure where. Please let me know.
2) For Q21 travel history -as an example for From date 2-Aug-2012 and TO date 3-Aug-12 - number of days absent should be entered as 1 or 0? when we calculate difference it is 1 but I understand both these days I was present in Canada so shouldn't the absence be 0 days.
Please let me know,Thanks
Again, keep it simple . . . unless there really is something not so simple about your situation. Most of us have a "home," at least a primary home (even if, for example, one is in a position to have secondary addresses), and that is our address. Even when we are traveling. A resident of Toronto continues to be a resident of Toronto even when he is spending a week or two in Montreal . . . or in Paris.

Not so simple arises if we leave our "home" as such, as in we terminate the lease or sell it or simply move out, and do not promptly establish ourselves in another address which becomes "home."

Not so simple arises if we maintain a "home" but we spend so much time elsewhere, someone might say we are actually living at that elsewhere.

As noted, no need to overthink these things. And no advantage in overplaying the keeping a "home" in Canada card either. IRCC figures out more than many give them credit.

Just be sure to be honest, forthcoming, and between items 19 and 21 honestly let IRCC know where you were when.

Personally I tend to go with address history by the month . . . so if I was staying elsewhere a month or more, that is my address for that month (or however long). If I was boarding somewhere for more than a month but keeping my "home" where my longterm residential address is (a genuine one, not that of a family member or friend), I might add a brief explanation about boarding at such and such an address, from this date to that date, just to be upfront that I was away from home for that lengthy period of time.

Lots and lots of people fudge the home address stuff. NOT a good idea.

In the past it probably did help. For some, it may still help, some, just some. For most, NO, IRCC sorts out the information, enough of it anyway, and those fudging home address information to make it look like they are in Canada more, or have stronger ties to Canada, no, it looks like what it is, like store fronts in a bad American 50s western movie.

In the meantime . . .
"I remember reading as address history to include places where we have been for at least 6 months"

I am not sure what this is about. But to be clear, what IRCC wants to know is where a person was actually living. There is no technical duration of minimum days in this. No need to report every hotel one stayed at. But look at the items in the application, they go from specific day to specific day (YYYY-MM-DD). That's a clue.

Honestly let IRCC know where you were when.

Number of days outside Canada in travel history:

Count the days in-between. Days partially in Canada (date of exit, and date of return) count as in Canada.

So, travel history From date 2-Aug-2012 and TO date 3-Aug-12 gives zero days outside Canada.

Remember: dates of entry into other countries, as stamped in the passport, are NOT a record of date the PR exited Canada. Remember to report actual date of exit (and that means date flight scheduled to depart even if the plane sat on the tarmac well past midnight before leaving).

xtreme75 said:
Hello forum members
It has been an uphill task (almost impossible) trying to get travel history from all the countries we visited, the only consulates that have been helpful have been the Malaysian and Mauritius consulates, that too they have just attested the stamp copy pages saying that these are genuine stamps. Whereas London is wip, Pakistan consulate very rudely denied any such process exists (shouldn't have expected for it to exist in the first place), but most importantly the country of our stay UAE has issued a complete entry/exit record from the day we first entered there to date, which a friend of mine was able to get done from T3 at the airport, but guess what the entries and exit records for 3 of our trips do not match the country we came in from or travelled to. So for example we travelled to Karachi, Pakistan but the travel history shows as travelled to Kuwait Sad and similar errors for 2 other trips - apparently its a "human error" and for these records to be corrected one has to be present in person with their original passport.
Question is would this be a major issue when submitting the travel history to CIC, or should I attach a cover letter highlighting the mistake on their part and attach as proof of travel the relevant passport pages, credit card statements used in that country and travel tickets? Any insight much appreciated. Thanks.
Remember, IRCC is mostly trying to verify information, to identify whether and to what extent the PR's account can be relied upon to be complete and accurate.

So, again, no need to overthink these things. Ultimately IRCC is looking to see whether this information verifies you were abroad when you reported your were abroad, and that it does not otherwise indicate being abroad some time when you reported you were in Canada.

Sure, it is OK to briefly provide some clarification, such as that exit on such a date was in route to (name actual destination). But no need to get bogged down in the weeds about these things . . . key is that the information is consistent with your reporting being abroad during that time.

Main thing is to be responsive to what IRCC actually requested.

bpjeee said:
Greetings all,

My request for PR Card Renewal was received in CIC on 27th Feb 2017. Today I have received and email from them stating as follows:

This refers to the application(s) for a Permanent Resident Card that you filed with this office. The purpose of this letter is to advise you that a preliminary review of your application has been completed and additional information is required before our final review can be completed. We will endeavor to finalize your application as soon as possible.

For the purposes of determining if you have upheld the residency obligations in meeting the requirements for a Permanent Resident Card and in accordance with Section 28 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, please provide us with proof of your residency in Canada for the period 2012-02-17 TO 2017-02-22. Please submit a copy of the following documents dated within the period specified above:

q Complete pages (including blank pages) of your passport(s)/travel document(s) held in the last 5 years. Ensure all pages are in colour and are clearly legible.

My question - is this normal or is this a secondary review. they have not requested for entry exit stamp verifications.

Thanks in advance
"Normal?" It is not routine. But even that, in itself, does not mean much.

See my long, long responses to xtreme75 above (in previous posts).

There is a good chance this is merely random quality control screening.

It could be a minimal level inquiry for a more formal Residency Determination.

To what extent you might have cause to worry depends on whether you otherwise have reason to worry . . . and of course you should know whether you have reason to worry.

My impression is that what is quoted is either not complete or precisely accurate. No matter. If you can discern that the request is specifically for a full copy of all passports and other travel documents, and is not a request for "proof of your residency in Canada for the period 2012-02-17 TO 2017-02-22" in addition to that, this is probably no big deal, but is indeed just (1) to verify you are in Canada (so you respond to it promptly), and (2) to scrutinize your passport pages looking for anything inconsistent with what you reported in the application.

If a fair reading of the correspondence is otherwise, that they are indeed asking you for additional "proof of your residency in Canada for the period 2012-02-17 TO 2017-02-22" (in addition to your passport and other travel documents), that would indicate a more robust Residency Determination request . . . albeit this usually comes in a form asking for specific information and particular documents.

In any event, if it is the former (which seems more likely), no big deal so long as you submit the full copies of passport/travel documents, and those have nothing in them which will contradict what you have reported.

Non-routine but relatively normal (one might key). Just be sure to submit what is requested promptly.

Reactions: bpjeee

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
dpenabill said:
Again, keep it simple . . . unless there really is something not so simple about your situation. Most of us have a "home," at least a primary home (even if, for example, one is in a position to have secondary addresses), and that is our address. Even when we are traveling. A resident of Toronto continues to be a resident of Toronto even when he is spending a week or two in Montreal . . . or in Paris.

Not so simple arises if we leave our "home" as such, as in we terminate the lease or sell it or simply move out, and do not promptly establish ourselves in another address which becomes "home."

Not so simple arises if we maintain a "home" but we spend so much time elsewhere, someone might say we are actually living at that elsewhere.

As noted, no need to overthink these things. And no advantage in overplaying the keeping a "home" in Canada card either. IRCC figures out more than many give them credit.

Just be sure to be honest, forthcoming, and between items 19 and 21 honestly let IRCC know where you were when.

Lots and lots of people fudge the home address stuff. NOT a good idea.

Hi dpenabill ,
Thanks for the reply. I can understand when you stay at some place for a month or so while travelling. I would like some clarifications about the going back landing, I came back and took a rental suite. SO, my address from the time I left after landing( about 7 months), and came back is the foreign address. Right or wrong?
Secondly, my wife came a 6 months after I took up the rental suite. so this 7 +6 months for my wife is the foreign address? Or from the day I took the rental suite, can she mention that as her address?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
mats said:
. . . I can understand when you stay at some place for a month or so while travelling. I would like some clarifications about the going back landing, I came back and took a rental suite. SO, my address from the time I left after landing( about 7 months), and came back is the foreign address. Right or wrong?
Secondly, my wife came a 6 months after I took up the rental suite. so this 7 +6 months for my wife is the foreign address? Or from the day I took the rental suite, can she mention that as her address?
I cannot answer for you. Do not trust anyone who purports to be able to do that. You know where you have been actually living.

Again, keep it simple. A person's home address is their home address. It is where they are actually living.

IRCC is mostly concerned that the individual provide truthful, accurate, and complete information, so that IRCC can discern from that information where the individual was, and when. And to be able to assess the quality or veracity of that information in context with all the other relevant information.

Paying rent for a particular place of abode is only one factor. Where one actually is living is the more important factor.

A person can take a dozen rental suites in a dozen different countries (if they can afford it). That would say nothing at all about where they actually lived.

Where and when, where one was actually living, when. That's what mostly counts. Whether one was renting or owned or staying in a brother's basement for free, those are corroborating details, relevant, but mostly relevant to the extent they explain and evidence the real information, the real information being where one was actually living, when.

It is NOT about what one can say. It is about truthfully reporting information about where one was actually living, when.

If it is not so simple:

Sure, if it is not simple, a person can make a supplemental submission which clarifies. Still keep it as simple as possible. Main focus is on being truthful, accurate, and complete, letting IRCC know where and when.

In my original PR application, for example, for multiple periods of time in my life I spent lengthy time periods boarding at addresses different from my home address . . . for example, while I was at university when I was younger and boarding in dormitories . . . for another example, when much older for many years I had a secondary, recreational address in a country different than my home country, and I would spend months at a time there. In the address history I listed my home addresses, but I also included a supplemental submission which detailed the dates and addresses at which I was boarding or staying, so that I was clearly and accurately informing CIC where I was physically living for all the months of my life (I was already an old man when I applied for PR, so I had to declare four decades of prior addresses and work history).

Reminder: While more than a few have slipped things by CIC and IRCC in the past, many more than that have failed to slip things by CIC and it is getting harder and harder to slip things past IRCC. In any event, listing one's address in a formal application to the Canadian government is not like using an address for a bank account.

It is not about what address a person can use. It is about truthfully declaring information about where one actually lives.

stephhhhh

Mar 2, 2013
Hello everyone!

So I just received my ATIP and it says on the last thread: FILE REFERRED TO CSU TRIAGE CRITERIA 1 COL T1 PRC SYD

Anyone knows what does that mean?

Thanks

Ramik

Star Member
Aug 23, 2016
stephhhhh said:
Hello everyone!

So I just received my ATIP and it says on the last thread: FILE REFERRED TO CSU TRIAGE CRITERIA 1 COL T1 PRC SYD

Anyone knows what does that mean?

Thanks
Hello Steph,

I got my ATIP back in October and it had the same information. When I called sometime in March, the agent on the phone told me that my file has been sent to Windsor where the PR processing head office (I always thought it was in Sydney NS). She told me that they have a back log of 8-10 months since the date it has been sent to (which was in August). Luckliy for me, I just got a call 3 weeks ago (mid april) from IRCC telling me that my PR has been approved.

My suggestion for you, while your file might not be exactly the same as mine, I would give them a call and know exactly where your file is and it is just a matter of time until you get your PR card.

Good luck!

stephhhhh

Mar 2, 2013
I just called today again... They barely wanted to check my file as I called last week. The agent said I have to call once a month at this point. She advised that it's probably going to take another 4 to 5 months.... Very frustrating as always.... I just want to get the citizenship asap so this would never happen again.

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
I just sent my application for PR renewal. I included additional documents, tax returns, copy of my passport (some stamps translated), entry exit to other countries. How long should I wait? The online processing time system mentions that it will take 66 days as they are now working on 20 Feb applications.

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
I just sent my application for PR renewal. I included additional documents, tax returns, copy of my passport (some stamps translated), entry exit to other countries. How long should I wait? The online processing time system mentions that it will take 66 days as they are now working on 20 Feb applications.
what about rental agreements and medical records cbsa records . everything depends on visa officer and procedur they follow. did u apply yourself or through agent

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
what about rental agreements and medical records cbsa records . everything depends on visa officer and procedur they follow. did u apply yourself or through agent
Rental agreements are mentioned in my tax returns (I am not working). I did not apply through agent, I even did my own immigration application in the past. Indeed, it all depends on the visa officer.

Rainl

May 16, 2017
Hi Guys,
Hope someone could help me here.
My file was transferred to local office after the second review.
I just received an email from them to request me to explain a trip because there is a record show I entered Canada at airport on Dec 10, 2014.
I don't know why there is such a record. I didnot go anywhere cross border in 2014. There are no exit stamps on my passport.
And I can prove that it could not be me to appear at the airport on Dec 10, 2014.
Can I just reply to them by providing the supporting document to prove this record is not correct?
But how could this happen?
Because of this error, I have waited a long time for my PR card.
Is it possible to investigate and remove this wrong record from my file?
I am very mad at this...
Hope could get some advise from you.
Thanks

Praz

Oct 25, 2016
Hey guys,
-CIC received my PR renewal application July 14 2016
-AOR Aug 18 2016

No updates at all since then.

Until now! PR card was sent by mail May 16 2017. Received my card today. So damn relieved.

The information and discussions in the forums of this site helped me immensely to get through the wait. Thank you all.

capnamerica

May 23, 2017
Sent PR card application in March, got AOR last week, and same day about 15 minutes later, received secondary review notice asking for scan of passports and entry/exit details from every country I've been to.
1. I am an American (visa exempt) and traveling to Europe in June. Will I have any issue re-entering with my US passport and show evidence of a pending PR application? ....note that I have about 15 entries into Canada with a very legacy PR status, but stated myself (and was) a visitor to Canada at those times
2. I have traveled to a lot of countries, including some hopping around Europe. How can I get entry/exit from a dozen or so countries? I have only entered/exited Canada from the US, shouldn't my US entries/exits be enough evidence to prove residency requirements?

Additionally- they are requesting a response with this information within 30 days, however it doesn't look like ANY country returns entry/exit details that quickly

Last edited:

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How can I get entry/exit from a dozen or so countries
I have bad news for you.

You have to ask the EMBASSY of each of those countries to Canada where you could request such info. They will provide you with the names and emails but be prepared that not all of those institutions will answer your request. However, if they do not answer you can always show CIC that you tried (keep your printed out emails with requests).

And , of course, those institutions will not be able to provide you with the info within those 30 days (some will). So, you will mail to CIC whatever you got + emails with requests, and provide CIC with a note that you tried and this is what you got. Ask them if they want anything that could come after their due date :), or suggest they could extend those 30 days.

Usually, they are happy with what they got.

Last edited: