+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Email from CIC that PR card renewal needs secondary review

iFox

Apr 22, 2017
jayagoyal said:
pr card is sent for secondary review in december 2016, i ordered case specific details whoch i received today it shows in comments at bottom that
"case received at Hamilton IRcc for GOA PRD TRIAGE PHASE 2".
can anyone tell me what does it mean and how much time it takes..

thanks
this means that your PR card application requires further investigation as per triage criteria. Check out page 49 of this thread. No idea on the timing though.

iFox

Apr 22, 2017
It seems that they work hard on applications sent for secondary review.

I sent a copy of my passports help for the past 5 years (with whole bunch of entry-exit stamps including GCC) early February and received my new PR Card on April 4th.

just FYI my timeline is below

1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on December 15, 2016.
2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on January 9, 2017.
3. We started processing your application on January 10, 2017.
4.We sent you correspondence on January 18, 2017. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.
5. Your Permanent Resident card was sent by mail on March 31, 2017.

xtreme75

Apr 22, 2017
Hello Fellow Forum Members
We (Myself, wife and daughter) applied for a PR Renewal on Feb 11 2017, and received an acknowledgement of case file being received along with an email on April 21 2017, for the following documents:

"For the purposes of determining if you have upheld the residency obligations in meeting the requirements for a Permanent Resident Card and in accordance with Section 28 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, please provide us with proof of your residency in Canada for the period FEBRUARY 11, 2012 to FEBRUARY 11, 2017. Please submit a copy of the following documents dated within the period specified above:

Complete pages (including blank pages) of your passport(s)/travel document(s) held in the last 5 years. Ensure all pages are in colour and are clearly legible.
AND
Personal immigration entry/exit record or movement certificate issued by the countries where you have travelled
."

We haven't set foot outside Canada since 26th Dec 2014 accumulating 775 days in total continuous stay in Ontario. We submitted all relevant documents (bills, tax assessments, lease copies and coloured passport pages with a complete history of our previous travels) still being asked to re-submit the colored copies of the passports. My questions are:

1- Is this normal procedure?
2- Any insights into obtaining travel records from UAE, Pakistan, Mauritius, London, Singapore and Malaysia would be highly appreciated.
3- Should I submit e-ticket print outs for countries that I can not obtain travel history from?
4- Should I be worried or be proactive about anything in particular to avoid further delays.
4- Any other heads up or suggestions please do share. Thanks!

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
Received PR card by mail on 21 Apr.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
xtreme75 said:
Hello Fellow Forum Members
We (Myself, wife and daughter) applied for a PR Renewal on Feb 11 2017, and received an acknowledgement of case file being received along with an email on April 21 2017, for the following documents:

"For the purposes of determining if you have upheld the residency obligations in meeting the requirements for a Permanent Resident Card and in accordance with Section 28 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, please provide us with proof of your residency in Canada for the period FEBRUARY 11, 2012 to FEBRUARY 11, 2017. Please submit a copy of the following documents dated within the period specified above:

Complete pages (including blank pages) of your passport(s)/travel document(s) held in the last 5 years. Ensure all pages are in colour and are clearly legible.
AND
Personal immigration entry/exit record or movement certificate issued by the countries where you have travelled
."

We haven't set foot outside Canada since 26th Dec 2014 accumulating 775 days in total continuous stay in Ontario. We submitted all relevant documents (bills, tax assessments, lease copies and coloured passport pages with a complete history of our previous travels) still being asked to re-submit the colored copies of the passports. My questions are:

1- Is this normal procedure?
2- Any insights into obtaining travel records from UAE, Pakistan, Mauritius, London, Singapore and Malaysia would be highly appreciated.
3- Should I submit e-ticket print outs for countries that I can not obtain travel history from?
4- Should I be worried or be proactive about anything in particular to avoid further delays.
4- Any other heads up or suggestions please do share. Thanks!
Some overall observations:

No need to panic. While your situation is non-routine, for obvious reasons, and this could mean a significant delay in processing your PRC applications, this request may be no more than random quality control. If you promptly make a responsive submission, this could be NO problem, and mean no more than a short delay.

Even if this is not a random quality control check, but rather derives from concerns about your history and extended absences from Canada, if you are able to make a reasonably responsive submission, there is a good chance that will resolve concerns and the delay will be minimal or relatively short (compared, say, to many of those bogged down in a lengthy Secondary Review which can go on for many months, beyond a year for some).

That noted, since you have been outside Canada more than in Canada, there is a significant risk of a more probing, in-depth Residency Determination. This could mean not just a longer delay, but being required to more substantively prove your actual presence in Canada during the times you report being in Canada.

Thus, it is important to indeed be proactive, but even more so to be as specifically responsive to this request as possible. I personally know little about obtaining record of movement or travel records from other countries. But you should follow up and do your best to provide what you can as soon as you can. I address this a little more in response to the particular question you posed.

"1- Is this normal procedure?"

No. It is non-routine. It is, however, relatively common for any PR who has spent more time outside Canada than in Canada, thus raising the possibility it would be reasonable to infer the PR was outside Canada any days for which the PR does not affirmatively prove presence inside Canada (for any days not definitively shown to be present in Canada it is, of course, reasonable to infer the PR was where the PR usually was, as in outside Canada).

The reasons why should be obvious, since your circumstances are far from routine. Most PRs settle in Canada permanently within the first year or two. A few push it beyond two years, approaching three or even more. Those who push it beyond two years, and especially so if it goes longer, should anticipate having to more fully prove their presence.

Not a problem so long as you have objective evidence to show actual presence. Obviously, just showing date of entry and claiming no exit will not suffice. How much more proof than that will be needed depends on a lot of factors and circumstances particular to the individual PR, that is, it depends on the specifics of your individual case.

It is not clear when you landed and became PRs, but it appears you have been PRs at the least since February 11, 2012 (given the request for records going back to that date), and thus for more than five years. Your overall immigration history is a relevant consideration. While being in Canada at least 730 days cures any previous, unreported breach of the PR Residency Obligation, that history is still taken into consideration, at the least relative to assessing the veracity of the PR's reporting and the PR's credibility in general.

Regarding additional documents submitted with application:

It appears you submitted additional documents when you made the application. There has been virtually no reliable confirmation doing this helps, or helps much anyway. In contrast, there has been ample reporting to indicate the contrary, that submitting additional information or documentation with the application not only fails to make much if any difference, it does not preclude being formally required to submit the same documentation later. (Among possible exceptions, my sense is that when making an application relying on H&C reasons to, in effect, waive a breach of the PR Residency Obligation, it might indeed help to add a supplemental page prominently asserting the H&C case, explaining it, and including key supporting documents, not a lot of documents, but some key documents supporting the H&C reasons.)

"2- Any insights into obtaining travel records from UAE, Pakistan, Mauritius, London, Singapore and Malaysia would be highly appreciated."

Hopefully others here can offer some information about how to go about this. Best I can offer is to start by making inquiries to the respective embassies here in Canada.

Similar requests have been more commonly reported and discussed in the conference here about citizenship. Especially relative to the UAE. Might be worth posting a new topic in the Citizenship conference, specifically titled: "How to get travel records for UAE, Pakistan, Mauritius, London, Singapore and Malaysia?"

Submit what you can. Explain why for what you do not submit. If you can obtain alternative evidence of dates of travel for countries you cannot provide a record of travel from, submit a reasonable amount of that evidence, with an explanation. Make a concerted effort to be responsive to the request . . . in other words, do not easily give up trying to get and submit the requested records.

"3- Should I submit e-ticket print outs for countries that I can not obtain travel history from?"

Yes, probably a good to submit any objective evidence/documentation you have which tends to verify the information you submitted to IRCC, especially as to travel dates. Do not go overboard. Do not do a document-dump. But some key documents corroborating your reported travel history, and corroborating stamps in passports, can indeed help.

That said, it is NOT likely these will help your case much. e-tickets evidence trips made but do not prove there were no other trips. I assume you accurately reported all the trips made. IRCC is undoubtedly attempting to verify that there were no other, unreported trips made.

In particular, proof of those trips will only verify your absences from Canada prior to December 26, 2014.

In contrast, my guess is IRCC is not challenging where you were prior to December 26, 2014. IRCC is probably concerned (if this is not merely a quality control check) you may have been absent since December 26, 2014. That is, if this is rooted in actual concerns about your travel history, IRCC is more likely focused on verifying your claimed presence between December 26, 2014 and the date of your PRC application, and thus is mostly looking for any indications you may have failed to report travel since the end of 2014.

"4- Should I be worried or be proactive about anything in particular to avoid further delays."

Some delay is inevitable. It is a non-routine case.

Unlike submitting additional documents with the application itself, which again does not appear to help, submitting a reasonable amount of additional documents in response to a request like this is probably a good idea, particularly if you cannot submit any of the records of movement requested.

But again, do not go overboard. Do not do a document dump.

Remember, quality is far more important than quantity. Focus on key documents that actually and directly show what it is you are trying to show (be that proof of particular travel or proof of being personally engaged in specific activities in Canada). A huge pile of what is often called passive evidence can be more distracting than helpful.

Particularly at this stage, unless the correspondence includes a request for other supporting documents (however that might be worded), focus mostly on being responsive to what is requested. You can submit alternative evidence to what is requested, but be strategic about what you add to your response. Be sure there is a specific reason for including particular evidence.

Being further proactive: Gathering documentation beyond what is submitted.

This is just in case. May not be necessary. But better prepared than unprepared. Probably a good idea to begin gathering as much documentation and other evidence to show you have been living and present in Canada these past 28 months. No need to dump all this on IRCC now (again, unless the correspondence includes a request for other supporting documents, or such). But you might want to get started gathering as much evidence as you can. Even testimonials from family, neighbours, friends, or even leaders in a Church, Mosque, or Synagogue who know you and can attest to interaction with you personally. (Avoid testimonials which assert over-generalizations -- specific instances, with reference to particular numbers (such as number of interactions) or dates within realistic, truthful ranges of time, tend to show actual presence, whereas broad generalizations purporting to cover whole periods of time are obviously, on their face, less credible.) Maintain banking and other transaction records. And so on. Just in case.

"4- Any other heads up or suggestions please do share."

There are good odds this is just a bump in the road. That this is not a reason to worry about a lengthy delay let alone crashing altogether (assuming, of course, you have in fact been living and present in Canada for the last 28 months now).

But you should nonetheless take it seriously and be diligent in responding, including making a concerted effort to provide the record of movement from as many of the countries as you can. This might demand a concerted effort on your part.

The less effort you put into making a responsive submission, the greater the risk of longer delays and, perhaps, an overt challenge to your accounting of presence in Canada.

Please return and report on how things go. This forum depends a lot on shared experience. Over the years, CIC and now IRCC have been increasingly less transparent. Your input could provide important insights for others.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
xtreme75 said:
4- Any other heads up or suggestions please do share.

An additional, final heads-up:

Again, this may be a relatively common quality control check and nothing to be concerned about at all, at least not beyond needing to make a reasonably responsive submission.

BUT, but, given your immigration history, and the extended absences in particular, an IRCC officer might have serious concerns. It is thus important to take this seriously even if it turns out to be no more serious than a random or relatively routine check.

If there are real concerns underlying this request, however, in addition to looking for any indications of travel during periods of time you claim to not have traveled, it is highly likely that IRCC will also be looking for any indication you have or have had some travel documents which have not been disclosed or presented to IRCC. This can be indicated by anomalies or incongruities identified in passport stamps versus other travel records, particularly apparent omissions.

If you have omitted, in what you have previously submitted, any in anyway potentially relevant travel documents, now is the time to be forthcoming with those. Along with an honest explanation for why they were not previously submitted.

Few things derail a PR TD, PR card, or citizenship application any faster and more seriously than suspicions rooted in what someone at IRCC perceives to be indications of undisclosed travel documents.

My guess is this issue, suspicion that the PR has not fully disclosed and presented all travel documents, is among the concerns populating more than a significant percentage of Secondary Review cases.

xtreme75

Apr 22, 2017
Thank you for the detailed response "dpenabill" - I am going to start contacting the relevant consulates from Monday and have already taken out their numbers and email addresses. Will keep updating as things progress. Thanks again!

jadeja

Oct 6, 2011
hi

I sent my PR card renewal application two weeks ago and it is received by case processing centre.

I haven't neither received any email so far nor online case status check shows no result.

May I please know how long does cic takes to update case status to " received application."

One more thing I didn't write name on photograph envelope, does it mean refusal? I'm the only applicant in that package.

thanks

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
Hi friends,

I need to renew my PR, what is the best way to calculate the 2 years in the last 5 years? Excel or an online website?

Thank you

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Whocares said:
Hi friends,

I need to renew my PR, what is the best way to calculate the 2 years in the last 5 years? Excel or an online website?

Thank you
Your brain, paper and pencil..

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
Friends, need some clarifications as I prepare for my PR Card renewal-
1) related to Questions 19 and 21. Should the address during travel be included in Qs 19? Or is Q19 only of places you have actually lived? Some other place I remember reading as address history to include places where we have been for at least 6 months, not sure where. Please let me know.
2) For Q21 travel history -as an example for From date 2-Aug-2012 and TO date 3-Aug-12 - number of days absent should be entered as 1 or 0? when we calculate difference it is 1 but I understand both these days I was present in Canada so shouldn't the absence be 0 days.
Please let me know,Thanks

xtreme75

Apr 22, 2017
Hello forum members
It has been an uphill task (almost impossible) trying to get travel history from all the countries we visited, the only consulates that have been helpful have been the Malaysian and Mauritius consulates, that too they have just attested the stamp copy pages saying that these are genuine stamps. Whereas London is wip, Pakistan consulate very rudely denied any such process exists (shouldn't have expected for it to exist in the first place), but most importantly the country of our stay UAE has issued a complete entry/exit record from the day we first entered there to date, which a friend of mine was able to get done from T3 at the airport, but guess what the entries and exit records for 3 of our trips do not match the country we came in from or travelled to. So for example we travelled to Karachi, Pakistan but the travel history shows as travelled to Kuwait Sad and similar errors for 2 other trips - apparently its a "human error" and for these records to be corrected one has to be present in person with their original passport.
Question is would this be a major issue when submitting the travel history to CIC, or should I attach a cover letter highlighting the mistake on their part and attach as proof of travel the relevant passport pages, credit card statements used in that country and travel tickets? Any insight much appreciated. Thanks.

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
xtreme75 said:
Hello forum members
but guess what the entries and exit records for 3 of our trips do not match the country we came in from or travelled to. So for example we travelled to Karachi, Pakistan but the travel history shows as travelled to Kuwait Sad and similar errors for 2 other trips - apparently its a "human error" and for these records to be corrected one has to be present in person with their original passport.
What does this mean? Who gave this travel history?

bpjeee

Star Member
May 30, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2009
Doc's Request.
Aug 2009
Med's Done....
Nov 2010
Passport Req..
April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
June 2011
LANDED..........
July 2011
Greetings all,

My request for PR Card Renewal was received in CIC on 27th Feb 2017. Today I have received and email from them stating as follows:

This refers to the application(s) for a Permanent Resident Card that you filed with this office. The purpose of this letter is to advise you that a preliminary review of your application has been completed and additional information is required before our final review can be completed. We will endeavor to finalize your application as soon as possible.

For the purposes of determining if you have upheld the residency obligations in meeting the requirements for a Permanent Resident Card and in accordance with Section 28 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, please provide us with proof of your residency in Canada for the period 2012-02-17 TO 2017-02-22. Please submit a copy of the following documents dated within the period specified above:

q Complete pages (including blank pages) of your passport(s)/travel document(s) held in the last 5 years. Ensure all pages are in colour and are clearly legible.

My question - is this normal or is this a secondary review. they have not requested for entry exit stamp verifications.

Thanks in advance

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
bpjeee said:
For the purposes of determining if you have upheld the residency obligations in meeting the requirements for a Permanent Resident Card and in accordance with Section 28 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, please provide us with proof of your residency in Canada for the period 2012-02-17 TO 2017-02-22. Please submit a copy of the following documents dated within the period specified above:

q Complete pages (including blank pages) of your passport(s)/travel document(s) held in the last 5 years. Ensure all pages are in colour and are clearly legible.
[/i]
I'm sorry, this isn't any help to you, but that's a fascinating request, as the proof requested doesn't (necessarily) have anything to do with what they're trying to prove.

Take, for example, a French citizen who got Canadian PR, and has been living in Spain for the last five years. Their passport would have no stamps in it, indicating that they hadn't been present elsewhere - there wouldn't be Canadian stamps (PR), there wouldn't be French stamps (citizen), and there wouldn't be Spanish stamps (European citizen) - yet that person would certainly not have met the Canadian residency requirement.

They may, of course, ask for different proofs from different nationalities/different doubts.

Reactions: bpjeee