+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Email from CIC that PR card renewal needs secondary review

Peace65

Nov 23, 2016
Hello
This forum is at times means of satisfaction and at other times depression !
But I would say its a great forum to direct to.My time line
Pr card renewal sent August 24 2015
File came back February 2016 for new photos as specification changed
Sent required photos next day
Processing started march 2016
Secondary review March 21 2016
My concern was why that long gap from August until Feburary for the document which was not even my mistake , it was just their photo specifications changed and we suffered and suffering until now :(

Peace65

Nov 23, 2016
Depenabil very well said statements , u finally solved my queries but does it mean that people like us who suffered with secondary review are also in the same boat for citizenship application which I am almost due :( . Spending 3 1/2 years continuously and not seeing aging parents for that long is really a painful situation :(

Kissyred

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
Hi guys
Was surfing online to find answer about my stressful situation and found out I am not alone. How sad that we have to go through this situation as some of us want to travel to visit our ageing parents. I certainly did not expect this
My timeline
Application send: March 2016
Started processing: June 2016
Secondary review: June 2016
I sent coloured copy of my passport July 2016

Congrats to all who got their new card.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Peace65 said:
Hello
This forum is at times means of satisfaction and at other times depression !
But I would say its a great forum to direct to.My time line
Pr card renewal sent August 24 2015
File came back February 2016 for new photos as specification changed
Sent required photos next day
Processing started march 2016
Secondary review March 21 2016
My concern was why that long gap from August until Feburary for the document which was not even my mistake , it was just their photo specifications changed and we suffered and suffering until now :(

Peace65 said:
Depenabil very well said statements , u finally solved my queries but does it mean that people like us who suffered with secondary review are also in the same boat for citizenship application which I am almost due :( . Spending 3 1/2 years continuously and not seeing aging parents for that long is really a painful situation :(

Caveat: I am not an expert. And, indeed, there are more than a few participants here who disagree with at least some of my observations. For example, more than a few appear to think that the Secondary Review process is relatively the same for all those SR'd, and thus, for example, the determination is essentially pursuant to a first-come, first-served procedure.

In contrast, I am certain that SR is a fact-based, criteria-driven process, and as such that what actually happens in the individual SR'd case is very specific to that case, since the facts and circumstances and history of the PR involved are very specific to that PR. That, for example, time lines in individual cases vary greatly.

A lot of what happens in the individual case is dependent on the reason why that individual was referred to SR. And those reasons vary from person to person. Most reasons are related to suspicions of misrepresentation, but not all. Doubt about compliance with the PR Residency Obligation does not appear to be the focus of SR, but many of those SR'd are indeed PRs who have, at the least, cut it close relative to complying with the PR RO.

I offer this background, which is largely a reminder, because what might be expected in the citizenship application process will likewise vary considerably from one PR to another, and this includes PR's who have recently been involved in SR when applying for a PR card. That is, the facts and circumstances in the individual PR's case matter. That is mostly what matters. So how it goes for one will depend on that PR's facts and circumstances, and how it goes for a different PR will depend on the facts and circumstances in that PR's particular case.

As I often say: It depends.

If the concerns IRCC had leading to SR have been resolved, that could actually have a positive impact on how things go in processing a citizenship application.

In contrast, if there are still outstanding concerns or doubts or questions, those concerns or doubts or questions are likely to still cause problems in processing a citizenship application.

Peace65 said:
Spending 3 1/2 years continuously and not seeing aging parents for that long is really a painful situation :(
Just because a PR has a PR card application in SR does NOT prohibit travel abroad.

So long as you have met the PR RO and have otherwise been playing by the rules, you should be able to visit your aging parents.

Yes, traveling abroad will be more inconvenient since a PR needs either a PR card or a PR Travel Document to return to Canada (generally, with exceptions). But a PR in SR should be able to apply for and obtain a PR TD while abroad. This is less convenient in some destinations around the world, but there have been enough anecdotal reports to show that qualified PRs can routinely obtain a PR TD in most parts of the world.

I would guess that more immigrants are practically precluded from visiting aging parents in the home country due to personal commitments and limited financial resources. By far. It is a big deal to go to a new country and make a life for oneself in that new country. It is a decision with profound consequences. And making that life in the new country can be challenging. Life can be hard enough for many just trying to get on their feet and be established. Jobs can often make it difficult to visit loved ones who are just in another province let alone alone another country.

In any event, if you have been in Canada three plus years, and playing by the rules, there should be no serious obstacle to visiting aging parents abroad and obtaining a PR TD for the trip back to Canada. Some inconvenience, yes, and be sure to take some proof of your time in Canada to submit with the PR TD application, but for legitimate PRs the difficulty of doing this tends to be greatly exaggerated.

Chrome

Star Member
Oct 21, 2016
Here's the updated list (ordered by secondary review referral date):

Dec 2015: tonymiz, Mrmr, rbrar14
Jan 2016: Osama912, bahaar, harshalp, KITG, KITJ, quari_gupta08
Feb 2016: vop, kwtangerine, clc70, NSL
Mar 2016: Chrome, Ramik, Brenttristan, bob27, peace65, jnasarat
Apr 2016: decent guy 3
May 2016: MatQue, Frank_vt1
Jun 2016: Chuk

Good luck to you all!

rbrar14

Star Member
Jul 21, 2016
Chrome said:
They haven't contacted you or asked for anything since then?
odd dates
application received july 1,2015
asked for passport coloured pics on dec 11.2015
now they again asked for coloured pics on dec 11,2016 and to fill client employment and family history info form and QUESTIONNAIRE: DETERMINATION OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS (8 pages form)Gave me 1 month to mail them. I am out country so its complicated for me and i have h&c grounds as to why im outta canada and i have to mail from another country and my days I think cut close to 730 so idk if i will get the card or not. no hope. .however this email came from vancouver, before it was nova scotia.

so can you guys please give me some serious advice as to what I can do ? In dec 11 2015 email they asked for 26 june 2010- 26 june 2015. I assumed i needed days since I landed first time. So my days are 726 when i calculated according to what proof they asked me for. so now will i lose my status even if i use my H&C documents and attach them along what they asked in this latest email of dec 11,2016?? I thought I had 738 days which was enough but it seems like I might be 4 days short cause of the misconception I did not realize I had when i was in canada last year when I applied before I left to another country

Chrome

Star Member
Oct 21, 2016
Ok Loulita.

Jun 2016: Chuk, Kissyred
Jul 2016: Loulita
[tr][td]

Chrome

Star Member
Oct 21, 2016
rbrar14 said:
odd dates
application received july 1,2015
asked for passport coloured pics on dec 11.2015
now they again asked for coloured pics on dec 11,2016 and to fill client employment and family history info form and QUESTIONNAIRE: DETERMINATION OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS (8 pages form)Gave me 1 month to mail them. I am out country so its complicated for me and i have h&c grounds as to why im outta canada and i have to mail from another country and my days I think cut close to 730 so idk if i will get the card or not. no hope. .however this email came from vancouver, before it was nova scotia.

so can you guys please give me some serious advice as to what I can do ? In dec 11 2015 email they asked for 26 june 2010- 26 june 2015. I assumed i needed days since I landed first time. So my days are 726 when i calculated according to what proof they asked me for. so now will i lose my status even if i use my H&C documents and attach them along what they asked in this latest email of dec 11,2016?? I thought I had 738 days which was enough but it seems like I might be 4 days short cause of the misconception I did not realize I had when i was in canada last year when I applied before I left to another country
Sorry to hear that. I think it's better to consult a professional about your case.

rbrar14

Star Member
Jul 21, 2016
Chrome said:
Sorry to hear that. I think it's better to consult a professional about your case.
Thanks for your comment.
I cant really do that since im not in canada and it wouldnt help in my opinion

Kissyred

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
Hi Chrome, thank you for adding me to the list.
I can now sadly see how long will I have wait for my new card based on what the timeline you guys have. And worst, as a nightmare if they need more documents. This is my second renewal and it wasn't like this on my first.
It is very sad to feel stock in a foriegn country,,, there is that option of getting PRTD if we want to travel but the checklist is impossible to complete and based on our 3 phone calls to IRCC there is no guarantee that you will get one.
We also message and called our MP but all they can say is that our file is in second review and there is no time frame as to when the card will be approve.
Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Chrome

Star Member
Oct 21, 2016
Traveling without a valid PR card is really risky especially for applicants like us waiting for a secondary review.

I hope processing times will be much faster going forward.

gauri.gupta08

Aug 6, 2013
I travelled a few times to Dubai while my card was under secondary review. On my way back, I always had to fly to NYC first, then another short flight to Buffalo and finally a rental car ride into Toronto. Never faced an issue at the border. Told them I had already applied for renewal, showed them my PR landing doc and passport.

It's expensive and inconvenient to travel this way, but an available option for sure!

VraiVie

Star Member
Jun 6, 2015
Chrome said:
Ok Loulita.

Jun 2016: Chuk, Kissyred
Jul 2016: Loulita
[tr][td]
Hi i wold like to know how we can avoid secondary review and what extra docs we should send to prove further our residency. I have been in canada for almost 1600 days in past 6 years.Any answer is much appreciated. Thank you

danhass

Sep 21, 2010
US
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
gauri.gupta08 said:
I travelled a few times to Dubai while my card was under secondary review. On my way back, I always had to fly to NYC first, then another short flight to Buffalo and finally a rental car ride into Toronto. Never faced an issue at the border. Told them I had already applied for renewal, showed them my PR landing doc and passport.

It's expensive and inconvenient to travel this way, but an available option for sure!
But this is really hard for 99.9% of us. I don't know how you could fly to NYC.

US is very strict on transit, let alone using its territory for some personal convenience.

First of all, you have to have a transit visa in order to transit through US, unlike every other country on earth as far as I know, which is even harder to get than a visit visa.

Second of all, if you try to get transit or visit visa with the intent of "I wish to land in US, then cross the border by car or by foot, because my canadian PR card is expired" the US consulate will laugh you off. There's no way you're going to get a visa based on that.

If you used an existing visit or student visa for this "unstated" purpose, you're on very shaky grounds.

So I'm wondering, how exactly were you able to enter US for this specific purpose?