+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Email from CIC that PR card renewal needs secondary review

asif007

Dec 8, 2016
Ramik said:
Hi Asif007,

I would say yes but again you must have all your papers to show that you are living in Canada and a valid visa to the U.S then you are good to go. Also, its very important to have completed your 730 days R.O and have all the documents that show that you have applied for a renewal for a PR. In both times that I have crossed the border to the U.S and back to Canada I was never asked anything except the usual stuff (do you have any tobacco or alcohol etc) and they only checked my PR and when I told them that it was in the renewal process they gave me the nod of "I understand". So to answer your question, yes you should be okay but always prepare proof if you need to be asked to provide it

hope this helps!
Thanks a lot for clarification. How do you cross the border? Do you take a taxi or take a car rental? Or do you just walk across? Do taxi drivers pass through border without hassles? If you take car rental, it is easy to return it in Canada?

Ramik

Star Member
Aug 23, 2016
asif007 said:
Thanks a lot for clarification. How do you cross the border? Do you take a taxi or take a car rental? Or do you just walk across? Do taxi drivers pass through border without hassles? If you take car rental, it is easy to return it in Canada?
Thats the tricky part, one time I went with my car. The other time, my friends rented a car from Canada and then returned it the next day. I don't believe that you can take a taxi as this will be considered as commercial vehicle. Your only option is that you must drive and cross the border. Leave your car at the airport and then come back and drive it back to Canada. or simply ask someone from Canada to come and pick you up from the U.S

About rental cars from the U.S I'm not sure so you will have to call and ask them.

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
I would like to know how many in this SR group had RQ? I am guessing that not many had the RQ. If so, what is the criteria for RQ? Is it just minimum days like less than 800? Is there anyone who had 1000 plus days residence in Canada and still got RQ? Thanks for the inputs.

brent16

Feb 17, 2016
Hello guys. I've just called the IRCC this afternoon. He said my card was mailed yesterday and it's on the way. How thankful I am after 13 months of uncertainty. Wishing everybody will get their cards soon. I'll let you know once I rcv my card.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
mats said:
I would like to know how many in this SR group had RQ? I am guessing that not many had the RQ. If so, what is the criteria for RQ? Is it just minimum days like less than 800? Is there anyone who had 1000 plus days residence in Canada and still got RQ? Thanks for the inputs.
To be clear, there is more than one "group" involved in SR referrals.

In any event, there is an obvious correlation between cutting the PR Residency Obligation close (such as less than 900 days presence in Canada, and especially less than 800 days) and the risk of Secondary Review, but what tends to be glossed over or dismissed is the import of the fact that most of these are PRs who reported (in the PR card application) presence in Canada for at least 730 days.

Those who report less than 730 days presence will be assessed for H&C reasons.

Those who report at least 730 days claim they have met the PR RO.

So an inquiry into whether or not the latter (those reporting 730+) actually met the PR RO necessarily entails an inquiry into whether the PR made MISREPRESENTATIONS as to their time in Canada and out of Canada.

Thus, among the cutting-it-close PRs, there are at least two groups: those who cut-it-close but who are more or less clearly well-settled permanently in Canada versus those who IRCC might perceive as not-so-settled in Canada. Most indications are that the former tend to have a significantly shorter and less problematic SR timeline (see reports by tom94063 for example), while in contrast there is a higher risk of problems and a much longer timeline for the latter, for those who circumstances or history might lead IRCC to perceive they are not so well settled in Canada.

Otherwise, there are undoubtedly many, many factors which can affect whether or not a PR card application will be referred to SR, and affect how it will go when referred to SR. There can be and often is a widely different impact for one PR in SR than there is for another. See, for example, above discussions regarding those who have minimal problems traveling abroad without a PR card versus those for whom the risk of travel abroad appears to be too high to take.

Many of the criteria are undoubtedly easy to guess: discrepancies between reported travel dates and the CBSA travel history; historical RO concerns; PRs with multiple Travel Documents; suspicious address, telephone number, or employer; pattern of absences in conjunction with other information indicating lack of real permanent residence in Canada . . . any of these tend to raise the potential for misrepresentation, which in and of itself can lead to loss of PR status. Additionally, suspicion that the PR is residing abroad while the application is pending tends to increase the risk of SR and the risk of problems in SR.

In any event, yes, there have been sporadic, isolated reports of some PRs reporting a lot more time in Canada nonetheless being referred to SR. Remember, SR can also be about suspected criminality or security issues (and as to the latter, more time abroad tends to elevate the risk of a security concern), and it can be about suspected misrepresentation some time in the past, in any previous CBSA or IRCC transaction (all the way back to the individual's first application to obtain any status in Canada).

rbrar14

Star Member
Jul 21, 2016
mats said:
I got RQ

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
rbrar14 said:
Hi Brar,And how many days of Residence did you have in Canada? Did you live or travel to Middle East?

rbrar14

Star Member
Jul 21, 2016
mats said:
Hi Brar,And how many days of Residence did you have in Canada? Did you live or travel to Middle East?
Hello, this is my situation.
application received july 1,2015
asked for passport colored pics on dec 11.2015
now they again asked for coloured pics on dec 11,2016 and to fill client employment and family history info form and QUESTIONNAIRE: DETERMINATION OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS (8 pages form)Gave me 1 month to mail them. I am out country so its complicated for me and i have h&c grounds as to why im outta canada and i have to mail from another country and my days I think cut close to 730 so idk if i will get the card or not. however this email came from vancouver, before it was nova scotia.

In dec 11 2015 email they asked for 26 june 2010- 26 june 2015. I assumed i needed to provide days since I landed first time till the last time I was in canada aka the day I applied which was june 27 2015. So my days are 726 when i calculated according to what proof they asked me for. so now will i lose my status even if i use my H&C documents and attach them along what they asked in this latest email of dec 11,2016?? I thought I had 738 days which was enough but it seems like I might be 4 days short cause of the misconception I did not realize I had when i was in canada last year when I applied before I left to another country

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
brent16 said:
Hello guys. I've just called the IRCC this afternoon. He said my card was mailed yesterday and it's on the way. How thankful I am after 13 months of uncertainty. Wishing everybody will get their cards soon. I'll let you know once I rcv my card.
Congrats. When did ur application go into RQ?

brent16

Feb 17, 2016
Here's my Timeline:

Nov. 06, 2015 - sent application
Feb. 23, 2016 - ack rcpt of app
Feb. 24, 2016 - started processing
Mar. 03, 2016 - secondary review

Dec. 05, 2016 - sent specific enquiry
Dec. 08, 2016 - Can't access ECAS anymore. Last status viewed "in process".
Dec. 15, 2016 - got a reply on my specific enquiry: card sent for production

Dec. 20, 2016 - PR card sent by mail
Dec. 21, 2016 - still no access on ecas.

I don't have an RQ quasar81.

NSL

Sep 13, 2016
brent16 said:
Here's my Timeline:

Nov. 06, 2015 - sent application
Feb. 23, 2016 - ack rcpt of app
Feb. 24, 2016 - started processing
Mar. 03, 2016 - secondary review

Dec. 05, 2016 - sent specific enquiry
Dec. 08, 2016 - Can't access ECAS anymore. Last status viewed "in process".
Dec. 15, 2016 - got a reply on my specific enquiry: card sent for production

Dec. 20, 2016 - PR card sent by mail
Dec. 21, 2016 - still no access on ecas.

I don't have an RQ quasar81.
Hi brent16,
You may try to access using your UCI# instead. It works for me.