+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Email from CIC that PR card renewal needs secondary review

ken2015

May 28, 2015
I am the senior citizen on this forum in terms of "time line" :), I have applied in August 2014 & my e-case status is still showing "In process" with following information:-

1.We received your application for a permanent resident card on August, 2014.
2.We started processing your application on January, 2015.
3.We sent you a letter on January, 2015. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

I have not received any letter or email asking any additional documents yet. Unfortunately I didn't call "Call Center" a single time for follow up since I am not in Canada, though my family is staying in Canada & are citizens, just wondering what to do, should I relinquish PR & apply for visit visa. I have American visa & I can go by road but since I am working outside Canada, I could not stay there, any advise, appreciated.
Ken

hbsk786

Apr 28, 2014
Hi Ken,
August & September Applications all received PRs mine was September I picked up this week from CIC office you can do 2 things
1. Authorize your family and let call your family to speak to the call center agent they will give correct status
2. You can enter from US see your family check your status directly by you and go and when your card reached you can come again from US

Better you enter from Buffalo with your family on border they will not ask too many question you can enter by your own car or taxi
Hope this information useful

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
it seems very much true that intentionally they are building up backlog and harassing people otherwise how possible that each week they clear or look only 2 days for files now they are working on files of June 5 and waiting period reach to 176 calendar days and if you will apply for urgent then 99% your file will they will throw to secondary review and you have to wait for 12 or 13 months.

alire_za

Nov 18, 2011
I just check status on CIC and found my application approved.my time line:
Apply on Nov25, 2014
secondary review email on feb 25,2015
Approved :Nov 6,201
No urgent requested
Good luck to every one

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
alire_za said:
I just check status on CIC and found my application approved.my time line:
Apply on Nov25, 2014
secondary review email on feb 25,2015
Approved :Nov 6,201
No urgent requested
Good luck to every one
So secondary review took 12 months

Windspout

Nov 10, 2015
Share my timeline:
CIC Received: Nov 07, 2014
Secondary Review: Feb 16, 2015
Approved: Oct 02, 2015
Mailed: Nov 05, 2015

Furthermore, I had submitted ATIP request about my application.
According to the GCMS record, I believe no one had opened my application from February to September.
So if you got secondary review, you have to wait or submit an urgent request

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Windspout said:
Share my timeline:
CIC Received: Nov 07, 2014
Secondary Review: Feb 16, 2015
Approved: Oct 02, 2015
Mailed: Nov 05, 2015

Furthermore, I had submitted ATIP request about my application.
According to the GCMS record, I believe no one had opened my application from February to September.
So if you got secondary review, you have to wait or submit an urgent request
What do your GCMS notes state...if ok could you post them (omit private/personal data). Does it indicate the reason for SR?

Windspout

Nov 10, 2015
Msafiri said:
What do your GCMS notes state...if ok could you post them (omit private/personal data). Does it indicate the reason for SR?
No reason. Only one note is same with the status on their website. "We sent you correspondence on February 16, 2015. If you have not yet provided ........"

ButtercupO.o

May 4, 2014
Chennai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2012
File Transfer...
15-08-2013
Passport Req..
26-09-13
VISA ISSUED...
05-05-13
LANDED..........
02-06-2014
Hi,

Anyone know how long they will take to complete the secondary review??

Bubbles1307

Nov 14, 2015
My timeline

-We received your application for a permanent resident card on October 27, 2014.
-We started processing your application on February 10, 2015.
-We sent you a letter on February 10, 2015. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
-Your request for a permanent resident card was approved on September 23, 2015. Your Permanent resident card will be mailed to you or if quality assurance is required, made available for you to pick up at a CIC office.

If i receive my card on december as the CIC call center agent told me, my processing time will be 1 year and 2 months. (one of the longest ones compared to some of the cases i read on this forum)

Yesterday (nov 13 2015) I received a letter to present myself to the Montreal office with my passport, my landing document, and ID card and my expired PR card. Although the letter says "to verify your eligiliity" so is kind of confusing. The CIC call center agent confirmed me before i received this letter that on september-october they sent my card to print so I dont know if i will have my card at the Montreal office or by mail.

Some highlights about my application.

-I did not have the 730 days when i sent my application (october 2014) My 730 days were fulfilled on december 2 2014. So when they started to process my application i already had the RO. (reason to call me for an interview to see if i left the country after i submitted my application)

-I was border line with the days of absence if i did my count well i was at 30 days before reaching the limit of 1090 day (i guess this is the right number) (possible reason of why they send my app for SR)

-I forgot to put the address where i stayed when i made my landing (possible reason of why they send my app for SR)

-Instead of certifying the copies of my passport i certified the translated pages (since I come from a spanish speaking country)(possible reason of why they send my app for SR)

-I added my boarding pass and copy of flight ticket of the day i came here (and decided to stay) since at the airport the officer didnt stamp my passport. (another reason to send a file to SR since they have to verify with customs). It seems that adding files that are not related to what they ask can slow the process and you application can end on SR.

So in conclusion i recommend according to my experience

-Make as less mistakes and omissions possible so double check everything you do.
-Not adding any documents that are not related to the application package. Im pretty sure they have like a "standard file" and everything that doesnt fit that standard its sent automatically to SR) (My mom and my sister didnt have any of these problems they sent their renewals after me and they received their pr cards before me)
-Make sure to have all the needed stamps. This has become optional to officers so you do need to ask them to stamp your passport.
-Having the 730 days and verify your count of absence days.
-Fill in all addresses where you have received any correspondence.
-Wait patiently. I think if we just sent more documents like urgent processing or personal letters (like a CIC call center suggested me once) the process will take even longer since they have to look for your file to add the new document to it.

The process for citizenship is kind of similar (my other sister also did it) so if you already have all this in order your application for citizenship should be fine.

Sorry i wrote a long post but i hope it helps people to understand the process by sharing our experiences.

Arshie77

Mar 28, 2015
ButtercupO.o said:
Hi,

Anyone know how long they will take to complete the secondary review??
My timeline as follows,
We received your application for a permanent resident card on December 22, 2014.
We started processing your application on March 5, 2015.
We sent you a letter on March 5, 2015. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
Your request for a permanent resident card was approved on October 29, 2015. Your Permanent resident card will be mailed to you or if quality assurance is required, made available for you to pick up at a CIC office.
Your Permanent Resident card was sent by mail on November 9, 2015

Just wait.. i called cic in June coz i never received the letter, i think lost in mail, did'nt receive any query for further documents.

Stay put it took me 8 months , good luck all.

behsuz

Nov 3, 2012
My mother's timeline:

- We received your application for a permanent resident card on December 12, 2014.
- We started processing your application on March 2, 2015.
- We sent you a letter on March 2, 2015. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
- Your request for a permanent resident card was approved on October 26, 2015. Your Permanent resident card will be mailed to you or if quality assurance is required, made available for you to pick up at a CIC office.
- Your Permanent Resident card was sent by mail on November 9, 2015.

systems

Nov 24, 2014
Hi Everyone,
Wanted to share the Good News !!

I received my renewed PR Card.

Applied last year in Sept
Secondary review email in Feb
Approved in Nov
Called to collect PR at the CIC office.
Some basic questions asked and PR was handed.

So as I read from on this forum as well, the new time line for secondary review seems to be around 1 year .
Thanks.