+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Email from CIC that PR card renewal needs secondary review

Kuttykutty

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
You have to be in India to apply for PRTD. I have been waiting or 8 months and have some emergency to travel to India. Hence I have been exploring the PRTD Option. It is quite unpredictable! VFS Global India says the processing time is minimum 10 working days. Nut they can not guarantee any outcome. High Comm in Delhi says 32 business days to process. Don't know really what to do !!!

ken2015

May 28, 2015
My PR card renewal is under secondary review since Feb'2015 & currently I am outside Canada with expired PR card. I know that I may enter in Canada via USA since I have USA visa, my question is how easy to enter & what kind of question the officer may ask & what type of papers I have to carry to proof my residency. Further, may I enter on repeated basis or they allow me only one time.
Thanks in advance,

daisy178

May 21, 2015
I am in the same situation as ken2015 and also want to know what documents should I bring with me when I enter Canada via US?

behsuz

Nov 3, 2012
I recently entered Canada in my own car from US. At the border, I only showed my driver's license and my landing paper (confirmation of permanent resident). I was worried that she looks at the landing date and see that more than 6 years and passed, and maybe ask for a PR card, but she didn't. She only asked about what I have bought from US. However, a friend of mine told me to print all the documents that show I have already applied for renewal of my PR card. I had the documents, but were not necessary. According to CIC website, if you use non-commercial vehicles (like your own car or a friend's car), you only need your landing paper. Even bus companies ask for PR card. I am not sure about rental cars.

Tinaturner

Apr 30, 2015
Ok to bring this Forum back to its original subject,

Has anyone recently received his/her new PR after it was sent to Secondary Review ? if yes after how long ? and did he/she receive any other emails besides that the application is sent for Secondary Review ?

Regards

EastWest

May 29, 2015
My timeline for the "PR card" renewal
Applied: September 2014
Secondary Review: January 2015

No update since then!!

AJK_9

Jun 30, 2012
Hi

We have also given PR card for renewal and it's for SR, can we visit USA with expired PR card and enter Canada with same documents given with PR renewal, please advise

Thanks

Tinaturner

Apr 30, 2015
Is sending applications to secondary review , a new law in 2015 ? Were applications sent in 2014 or 2013 ever sent to secondary review ?

asdsd

May 31, 2015
Hi Guys....I just received my PR card (family of 3) after exactly one year. following is the timeline:
-PR achieved in Aug 2009
-Started living in Canada in April 2012
-Application sent for renewal in May 2014 (after completing 2 years + 1 month since Apr 2012)
-Card expired in Sept 2014
- Started processing in Oct 2014
- Received letter that application sent for secondary review in Nov 2014
-After that multiple calls/emails, but was just asked to be patient as secondary review can take any time. No additional documentation asked for.
- Exactly after one year (exact date!), I had called and they said it has been approved...and then received the cards in 10 days.

I am told and it matches my assessment that if you didn't start living in Canada immediately after achieving PR and do that just 2 years prior to expiry and apply for renewal (like I did I guess)....they are not sure of your intention continuing to live in Canada and hence just hold it as a "cooling off" period of one year. In this they must monitor if you have left Canada....I guess if you have for few days/weeks on vacation/emergency, it should be OK. After the cool off period, they just approve it. In my case I did not go anywhere and even applied for citizenship just before receiving approval of renewed PR cards....

So....unless you have issues with documentation (in which case you should receive a mail)....just chill and be patient for a year....I know it's frustrating to feel locked and not be able to travel....but it's the country's decision to ensure that people are serious of stayig in the country. You can always travel via US or obtain PRTD.

All the best....

asdsd

May 31, 2015
I forgot to mention one thing and remembered as I have been reading various posts, issues and suggestion.....one of the suggestion was to have a common representation to the govt authorities. I don't think it will work....I did that through 3 different routes in the last 6 months. Through my local MP (who by the way was extremely helpful in re-activating supervisa case for my parents), wrote emails/letters to minister of immigration....and then believe it or not, even wrote on Canadian PM's website......In the end just backed off and looked at the positive sides
- they didn't mention any documentation issue
- I can always travel via US as we all had US visa...yes it's inconvenient, but possible!

Guys don't worry....be happy!

Kuttykutty

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
@sdsd,
Thanks for the detailed updates.
Quite encouraging!
Is it possible to cross the border to Buffalo by road, take a flight to any other country and return to Buffalo and cross the border by road in a private vehicle? Has anyone done this? A lot of people share about traveling to US and returning. Kindly advise,..

Dreamszalone

Star Member
Oct 5, 2013
My timeline as below..

Also does anyone has experience how much time it takes for the decision once you submit the requested documents while the application is in Secondary review.

Application Submitted :- Nov 2014
Processing Started :- Mar 2015
No email or updated saying application went for Secondary review.
Letter from CIC received :- Dated April 20th 2015.
Responded the query with documents on May 18th 2015, CIC received on 19th May 2015.

So do you guys have any suggestion when I would hear from CIC regarding any decision.

Also I am not in Canada because of my job I had to travel and I am in US rite know.

Thanks

Tinaturner

Apr 30, 2015
It does not make sense to send an application to secondary review because someone did not live in canada directly after he/she did the landing ! The law says a person can renew the pr card if he/she lived in canada for 2 out of 5 years and this means ANY 2 years out of the 5 !

Hence I see no reason or sense in keeping the application on hold just for not living in canada right after the first or card was received !!!