+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligibility for 3-year PGWP with 1-year Post Graduate Program

Dickie Yan

Jan 26, 2024
Agreed that IRCC need some days to update all the pages. I also agreed with your view on this matter. Thanks.
Keep in mind that particular page you're linking to was last updated on 2021-12-16. Case in point, it doesn't say anything about curriculum licensing programs and how they are no longer eligible for PGWP, even though we know that rule is going to be in effect as of Sep 1.

It will take some time for IRCC to update all the relevant pages (and publish new ones) to match the new rules. I'd give it at the very least another month before major content gets updated.

Engineer85

Jun 9, 2023
I have a similar situation ^
Can i get PGWP if m programm 8m - 1yaer Ontario post Secondary Certificate in public DLI college on Main campus ???

Priyanka2010

Star Member
Jul 30, 2019
I am doing a 45 credits master's in law from McGill University which started in Aug 2023 and is a one year program. Will this be also eligible for 3 yrs pgwp? Also, will this apply to students already pursuing their degree or only effective Sept 2024 intake?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am doing a 45 credits master's in law from McGill University which started in Aug 2023 and is a one year program. Will this be also eligible for 3 yrs pgwp? Also, will this apply to students already pursuing their degree or only effective Sept 2024 intake?
We don’t know but there is a good chance that you will qualify for whatever rules were in place when you started your degree.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have a similar situation ^
Can i get PGWP if m programm 8m - 1yaer Ontario post Secondary Certificate in public DLI college on Main campus ???
Yes you should qualify for PGWP but would check your specific program and school and whether it qualifies for PGWP. I would check now and then would check when the province makes announcements about new police regarding international students.

Engineer85

Jun 9, 2023
Yes you should qualify for PGWP but would check your specific program and school and whether it qualifies for PGWP. I would check now and then would check when the province makes announcements about new police regarding international students.
It is Fanshawe College (DLI) on the main Campus in London. Length of the program from Sep 3 to Apr 30 2024, 30 weeks mention ( 1 Year post secondary Cercificate ) , Full time.
this is what is written on site: ''Electrical Techniques is a one-year Ontario college certificate program. Students will learn the foundational knowledge of electrical fundamentals and theories ....and so on .................''
But practically 8 months should be on March 3rd.
How u think, is it ok for PGWP , is it matters few days that not enough to make it 8 months??

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Not only for those you mentioned, 1-year certificate as well. but i am not sure if post-secondary included.
No, only Masters. Government changed their press release and operational bulletins to delete post grad programs. For about 12 hours it said post grad and PhD. PhD takes years.

• Graduates of master’s degree programs will soon be eligible to apply for a 3-year work permit. Under current criteria, the length of a postgraduation work permit is based solely on the length of an individual’s study program, hindering master’s graduates by limiting the amount of time they have to gain work experience and potentially transition to permanent residence.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2024/01/canada-to-stabilize-growth-and-decrease-number-of-new-international-student-permits-issued-to-approximately-360000-for-2024.html

Engineer85

Jun 9, 2023
No, only Masters. Government changed their press release and operational bulletins to delete post grad programs. For about 12 hours it said post grad and PhD. PhD takes years.

• Graduates of master’s degree programs will soon be eligible to apply for a 3-year work permit. Under current criteria, the length of a postgraduation work permit is based solely on the length of an individual’s study program, hindering master’s graduates by limiting the amount of time they have to gain work experience and potentially transition to permanent residence.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2024/01/canada-to-stabilize-growth-and-decrease-number-of-new-international-student-permits-issued-to-approximately-360000-for-2024.html
So , as of today , 1 academic Year post-secondary certificate allows to apply for PSWP for 1 year right?
(if College is DLI, full time , main campus) In my case in is Fanshawe College on main campus.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So , as of today , 1 academic Year post-secondary certificate allows to apply for PSWP for 1 year right?
(if College is DLI, full time , main campus) In my case in is Fanshawe College on main campus.
Yes. You are better to do a two year program to get 3 year PGWP if that is what you want.