+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligibility for 3-year PGWP with 1-year Post Graduate Program

qweeeen

Jan 22, 2024
I'm enrolled in a 1-year postgraduate program at Humber and will graduate in April 2024 with a Certificate of Achievement. According to recent changes for international students, it states: "Graduates of master’s and other short graduate-level programs will soon be eligible to apply for a 3-year work permit"

Can anyone confirm if I'm eligible for the 3-year PGWP based on this change?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I'm enrolled in a 1-year postgraduate program at Humber and will graduate in April 2024 with a Certificate of Achievement. According to recent changes for international students, it states: "Graduates of master’s and other short graduate-level programs will soon be eligible to apply for a 3-year work permit"

Can anyone confirm if I'm eligible for the 3-year PGWP based on this change?
I doubt it. You are not in a graduate level program. Most graduate level courses in Canada are at university. These programs usually require a degree only for admission.

Jan 22, 2024
I doubt it. You are not in a graduate level program. Most graduate level courses in Canada are at university. These programs usually require a degree only for admission.
But after the PhD and masters, it says 'other short graduate-level programs'. What other short-graduate level programs exist? As far as I know, a post-graduate certificate is a short graduate-level program.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
But after the PhD and masters, it says 'other short graduate-level programs'. What other short-graduate level programs exist? As far as I know, a post-graduate certificate is a short graduate-level program.
Will have to wait and see but given the rules about masters/Phd programs not needing letter of attestation and only having SOWPs for masters/phd students, I don’t know if IRCC is going to allow 3 year PGWP to college programs. University programs, maybe but who knows.

SasaBasi

Star Member
Apr 12, 2023
You are correct. I don't know why everyone insists that graduate certificates are not graduate level programs. The big question is when this will be implemented. We need to know so that we decide whether to extend study permit or apply pgwp

Jan 22, 2024
You are correct. I don't know why everyone insists that graduate certificates are not graduate level programs. The big question is when this will be implemented. We need to know so that we decide whether to extend study permit or apply pgwp
Idk, but everyone's saying college diplomas/certificates won't be included bc it's not a graduate level

SasaBasi

Star Member
Apr 12, 2023
They wont. Those are the reasons why they put a cap and restriction
From the web:

Short graduate-level programs in Canada are usually diplomas or certificates that can be completed in less than one year, or one or two full-time semesters, after a bachelor’s degree

What other definition exists??

SasaBasi

Star Member
Apr 12, 2023
Idk, but everyone's saying college diplomas/certificates won't be included bc it's not a graduate level
So according to them, what are short graduate level programs that are not masters& PhD? Short literally refers to two years or less. Graduate level literally means "after" the bachelor's degree

Reactions: Tanyeah

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
From the web:

Short graduate-level programs in Canada are usually diplomas or certificates that can be completed in less than one year, or one or two full-time semesters, after a bachelor’s degree

What other definition exists??
That definition is not from IRCC website

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
So according to them, what are short graduate level programs that are not masters& PhD? Short literally refers to two years or less. Graduate level literally means "after" the bachelor's degree
They are called "College Programs" According to the release today. Read red highlight, I dont see Certificate and Diplomas in a press.

Those pursuing master’s and doctoral degrees, and elementary and secondary education are not included in the cap. Current study permit holders will not be affected.

IRCC will allocate a portion of the cap to each province and territory, who will then distribute the allocation among their designated learning institutions. To implement the cap, as of January 22, 2024, every study permit application submitted to IRCC will also require an attestation letter from a province or territory. Provinces and territories are expected to establish a process for issuing attestation letters to students by no later than March 31, 2024.

In the weeks ahead, open work permits will only be available to spouses of international students in master’s and doctoral programs. The spouses of international students in other levels of study, including undergraduate and college programs, will no longer be eligible.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Reactions: Naturgrl

SasaBasi

Star Member
Apr 12, 2023
They are called "College Programs" According to the release today. Read red highlight, I dont see Certificate and Diplomas in a press.

Those pursuing master’s and doctoral degrees, and elementary and secondary education are not included in the cap. Current study permit holders will not be affected.

IRCC will allocate a portion of the cap to each province and territory, who will then distribute the allocation among their designated learning institutions. To implement the cap, as of January 22, 2024, every study permit application submitted to IRCC will also require an attestation letter from a province or territory. Provinces and territories are expected to establish a process for issuing attestation letters to students by no later than March 31, 2024.

In the weeks ahead, open work permits will only be available to spouses of international students in master’s and doctoral programs. The spouses of international students in other levels of study, including undergraduate and college programs, will no longer be eligible.
Can't two words refer to the same thing. They are both "College programs" and short graduate level programs. The key is in the word " short".Give me an example of a " short graduate level program" that is not a masters or a PhD

Jan 22, 2024
Can't two words refer to the same thing. They are both "College programs" and short graduate level programs. The key is in the word " short".Give me an example of a " short graduate level program" that is not a masters or a PhD

I want to know the same, what's a short graduate-level then