+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligibility for 3-year PGWP with 1-year Post Graduate Program

NVA004

Star Member
Nov 4, 2023
It is right there. The site used to say that two programs taken back to back within two years were eligible for 3 year PGWP. That has been taken out and replaced with combining the length of the two programs.
It never said that this had been the same since long, nothing has changed officially on the site I had referenced some earlier blogs for u as well that don’t infer anything that you are relying upon.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It never said that this had been the same since long, nothing has changed officially on the site I had referenced some earlier blogs for u as well that don’t infer anything that you are relying upon.
I don’t read blogs. I only reference IRCC. Anyways most people who took two one year programs expected a 3 year PGWP which is not longer an option. There are so many threads on this forum of people getting 3 year PGWP after taking two one year courses. Now IRCC has stating combining only.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/3-pgwp-validity.691060/

Last edited:
Reactions: xhinaza

NVA004

Star Member
Nov 4, 2023
I don’t read blogs. I only reference IRCC. Anyways most people who took two one year programs expected a 3 year PGWP which is not longer an option.
IRCC has never said the thing you are saying before, your analysis is not based upon proof hence it is your opinion only, then people should not be guided by opinions here please do your own research and take advise from professionals before making any decisions.

NVA004

Star Member
Nov 4, 2023
I don’t read blogs. I only reference IRCC. Anyways most people who took two one year programs expected a 3 year PGWP which is not longer an option. There are so many threads on this forum of people getting 3 year PGWP after taking two one year courses. Now IRCC has stating combining only.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/3-pgwp-validity.691060/
Again the discussion you are referring is inconclusive and in the same people are apprehensive wether they will receive 3 years PGWP.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
IRCC has never said the thing you are saying before, your analysis is not based upon proof hence it is your opinion only, then people should not be guided by opinions here please do your own research and take advise from professionals before making any decisions.
It used to be on the IRCC under operational bulletins - program stacking. The link for “length of PGWP” is there but is now broken. Of course cannot get screenshot now because site is changed. But if you do a search on this forum, many people assumed that two one year programs = 3 year PGWP, and the updated changes highlighting length of program tells me that IRCC has changed internal guidelines. So expect that people will not get 3 year PGWP for two programs. People will have to apply for PGWP with two programs and find out what length they get. So until someone posts on the forum within the next year posts on the forum that they got a 3 year PGWP, we will not know. I will not comment further.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program.html#s6

Reactions: xhinaza

NVA004

Star Member
Nov 4, 2023
It used to be on the IRCC under operational bulletins - program stacking. The link for “length of PGWP” is there but is now broken. Of course cannot get screenshot now because site is changed. But if you do a search on this forum, many people assumed that two one year programs = 3 year PGWP, and the updated changes highlighting length of program tells me that IRCC has changed internal guidelines. So expect that people will not get 3 year PGWP for two programs. People will have to apply for PGWP with two programs and find out what length they get. So until someone posts on the forum within the next year posts on the forum that they got a 3 year PGWP, we will not know. I will not comment further.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program.html#s6
This assumption has only been changed by you recently not finding anywhere what you are trying to infer.

Dec 18, 2023
Good morning guys, I double-checked and found this link from IRCC: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.<b>

It stated that 1+1 programs = 3 years PGWP. It's a little bit confusing, but I think we are still safe. Why don't they say 1 + 1 = 3 years PGWP in every sites? Anw, 1+1=3 years PGWP is fair because we also study 2 years like people studying 2 year programs, so why are we treated differently, right?

NVA004

Star Member
Nov 4, 2023
Good morning guys, I double-checked and found this link from IRCC: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.<b>

It stated that 1+1 programs = 3 years PGWP. It's a little bit confusing, but I think we are still safe. Why don't they say 1 + 1 = 3 years PGWP in every sites? Anw, 1+1=3 years PGWP is fair because we also study 2 years like people studying 2 year programs, so why are we treated differently, right?
Totally Bro nothing has changed from earlier guidelines.

Jan 25, 2024
Hey guys, just want to ask some questions about the 1-year master’s program cause I got an offer recent days.

If my program start at 1st September, will it be eligible to get a 3-year PGWP?

The details about this policy are not showed yet, so it makes me kinda worry.

Now I need to choose, keeping this offer or asking the university to change it into a 2-year program. It’s hard to make a decision.

Really need some suggestions, thanks a lot

Dickie Yan

Jan 26, 2024
Hey guys, regarding the 1+1=3 years PGWP, no body is concerning the processing. There is a time limit of 180 days to apply the PGWP after the first 1-year graduate-level program completed. However, if the student is still in studying the second graduate-level program in the second year, how could he/she apply the PGWP within the 180 days? Is there anyone know the process rules? I did not find it on IRCC website.

NVA004

Star Member
Nov 4, 2023
Hey guys, regarding the 1+1=3 years PGWP, no body is concerning the processing. There is a time limit of 180 days to apply the PGWP after the first 1-year graduate-level program completed. However, if the student is still in studying the second graduate-level program in the second year, how could he/she apply the PGWP within the 180 days? Is there anyone know the process rules? I did not find it on IRCC website.
Brother if you are still studying you are on student visa or student visa extension, PGWP is applied after you finish your studies.

Reactions: Dickie Yan

thisisauser

Nov 23, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa

Keep in mind that particular page you're linking to was last updated on 2021-12-16. Case in point, it doesn't say anything about curriculum licensing programs and how they are no longer eligible for PGWP, even though we know that rule is going to be in effect as of Sep 1.

It will take some time for IRCC to update all the relevant pages (and publish new ones) to match the new rules. I'd give it at the very least another month before major content gets updated.