+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligibility as Sponsor for Spouse Sponsorship

Janix

Star Member
Dec 19, 2014
Eligibility as Sponsor for Spouse Sponsorship

As Specified in the Sponsor Eligibility on the CIC web site:

"prove that you have sufficient income to provide basic requirements for your spouse or common-law partner’s dependent children. To do this, you must provide documents showing your financial resources for the past 12 months. This requirement applies only when dependent children who have dependent children of their own are included on the application."

I am a Permanent resident here in Canada and just Landed last September 2014.
I've been working in a company as web developer for almost 3 months.
And within a couple months from now I'm planning to petition my partner from my country.

Do you think guys i'm still eligible for sponsoring my partner since I can't provide the documents showing my financial resources for the past 12 months? I am only working for a few months. (tho there's a disclaimer that this requirement applies only when dependent children who have dependent children of their own are included on the application.)

I just want to confirm this...

Thanks in Advance!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Does your partner have a dependent child who also has a child? And you are sponsoring your partner's grandchild? If not, that provision does not apply to you.

Janix

Star Member
Dec 19, 2014
canadianwoman said:
Does your partner have a dependent child who also has a child? And you are sponsoring your partner's grandchild? If not, that provision does not apply to you.
No she doesn't have one,..
I've also read that sponsor financial requirement is an annual income document,
But i am only working for a few months here.
What document can i provide for the annual income?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Write an explanation of why you do not have an Option C (you haven't filed an income tax return yet in Canada). Then show proof of your income - from the last few months in Canada, then I would include up to the last year from your previous country of residence. You could include the income tax return from the last year from that country as well, if it is in English or French (if you would have to get it translated, I would not bother).

CIC wants to see that the sponsor and applicant will be able to support themselves once both are in Canada. The fact you have a job is good evidence that you will be able to do so.

Janix

Star Member
Dec 19, 2014
canadianwoman said:
Write an explanation of why you do not have an Option C (you haven't filed an income tax return yet in Canada). Then show proof of your income - from the last few months in Canada, then I would include up to the last year from your previous country of residence. You could include the income tax return from the last year from that country as well, if it is in English or French (if you would have to get it translated, I would not bother).

CIC wants to see that the sponsor and applicant will be able to support themselves once both are in Canada. The fact you have a job is good evidence that you will be able to do so.
Oh i see...
that sounds good :)
Thank you so much!