+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) processing times

aed

Oct 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi. First, I apologize for the length of this post. I am wondering if anybody here knows anything about eTA (electronic Travel Authorization) processing times for visa-exempt nationals. I am aware that obtaining eTA usually takes several minutes, but unfortunately this doesn't seem to be my parents' case. As their representative, I applied for both eTA's on January 20. In the eTA application, CIC makes inquiries about any health conditions that require medication on a daily basis. In case of my parents that would be a well-controlled hypertension. On January 22, I received a request from CIC for a medical questionnaire for my parents. It was a page-long questionnaire focusing mainly on tuberculosis and kidney problems, which my parents don't suffer from. I filled the questionnaire and submitted it the same day. Since then, nothing. Did anyone experience a similar delay? I am a bit concerned as my parents are planning to travel this May. They bought the tickets way back in September. We weren't even aware they would need an eTA at that time. Perhaps I should mention that my parents have travelled to Canada before (a month-long stay at our place 2 years ago), so it's not their first visit. They're both retired with sufficient funds, and have never been denied entry to Canada, or convicted of any crime etc. They also always purchase a medical coverage. Any input will be much appreciated!

blnh

Feb 13, 2016
Hello there. The length of time for me from online application to decision was 49 days. I would like to ask you how you received the medical questionnaire for your parents. I had applied for an ETA too(26th Dec '15), only to get a refusal based on the fact that I had not handed in a medical questionnaire. The only correspondence I got from them was asking me to open a "MYCIC" account in order for me to upload documents(29th Dec'15) and that was the last I heard from them until the refusal today(13th Feb).

Chris-jay

Feb 18, 2016
Just wondering if you have received an update on this?

I applied for mine just over 2 weeks ago, a week later I got asked to fill in the medical questionnaire which I did that day. On my account it says that they have received my response but haven't read it. My initial application was over 2 weeks ago.

Blnh, you have to send your medical questionnaire form back within 10 days of being asked otherwise you automatically get rejected. You get an email asking you to create a gckey account which you then have to link your ETA application too and then respond to where you asked.

aed

Oct 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chris-jay said:
Just wondering if you have received an update on this?

I applied for mine just over 2 weeks ago, a week later I got asked to fill in the medical questionnaire which I did that day. On my account it says that they have received my response but haven't read it. My initial application was over 2 weeks ago.
My dad's eTA was approved on Feb 12. I received the medical questionnaire request on Jan 22. Still waiting for my mom's eTA. ::)

aed

Oct 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
blnh said:
Hello there. The length of time for me from online application to decision was 49 days. I would like to ask you how you received the medical questionnaire for your parents. I had applied for an ETA too(26th Dec '15), only to get a refusal based on the fact that I had not handed in a medical questionnaire. The only correspondence I got from them was asking me to open a "MYCIC" account in order for me to upload documents(29th Dec'15) and that was the last I heard from them until the refusal today(13th Feb).
Hi Blnh. Sorry to hear about the refusal. I apologize for my late reply. Within 72 hours of your eTA application submission, you should have received an email (at the email address you provided in your application) from CIC:

"Status: Pending – Client action required
eTA number: XXXXXXXXX
Passport number: XXXXXXXXX

A review of your Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) application is underway. In order for Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to continue processing your application, we need some documents from you.

Do not submit your documents by email. To submit your documents, you will need to create or log into your secure MyCIC account at XXXXXXXX. CIC will request documents from you through this account.

Once you have created or logged into your MyCIC account, you will need to link your eTA application to your account by clicking on the “Link eTA application to this account” button.

For future visits to your MyCIC account, go to XXXXXXXX. Select the “Continue to GCKey” button and enter your GCKey user ID and password.

During the review of your file, you are not considered to hold a valid eTA. As such, you should not plan or undertake any travel to Canada until you are advised otherwise."

Once you link your eTA application to MyCIC account, you can access the request letter that CIC sent you. In my parents' case, it was a short letter requesting a medical questionnaire. CIC provided me with the download link for the form. You were expected to upload the questionnaire within 10 days. I would just apply for eTA again and explain the situation in the application form. In the meantime, you can create MyCIC account and once you receive an email from CIC, you can link the application to your MyCIC account. Then, when you receive the request for the questionnaire, you can upload it via MyCIC account. Hope that helps.

Chris-jay

Feb 18, 2016
aed said:
My dad's eTA was approved on Feb 12. I received the medical questionnaire request on Jan 22. Still waiting for my mom's eTA. ::)
Thanks, so it's looking like a wait time of around a month then?

aed

Oct 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chris-jay said:
Thanks, so it's looking like a wait time of around a month then?
I hope so. It's been a month for my mom and the eTA is still not here. But for my dad, it was roughly a month.

Chris-jay

Feb 18, 2016
aed said:
I hope so. It's been a month for my mom and the eTA is still not here. But for my dad, it was roughly a month.
Thanks, hopefully neither of us have to wait much longer.

aed

Oct 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chris-jay said:
I must admit I am a bit surprised one has to wait that long for eTA. I mean it takes longer than TRV... On the other hand, regular eTA's get approved within minutes. I guess it's a new thing and the processing times have not been established yet.

Chris-jay

Feb 18, 2016
aed said:
I must admit I am a bit surprised one has to wait that long for eTA. I mean it takes longer than TRV... On the other hand, regular eTA's get approved within minutes. I guess it's a new thing and the processing times have not been established yet.
Yeah. I'm from the UK and there has been little to no warning of this. When booking my holiday I got quotes from 3 different places, 2 of those places I visited twice. Only on my last visit to a travel agents which I booked with was I told of it. I have family over in Canada and they never knew of it, I also know a Canadian who lives over here and they didn't know about it as well. For those visiting Canada from next month who don't know about it they could be in for a shock. It's ok if you arrive at the airport and your one of the ones who get it in a few minutes but if your one of the ones who don't then it could be the end of your journey. I know major airports here in the UK have a system in place for those who need to apply for last minute ESTA's for America, but I doubt they will for those visiting Canada and needing an ETA. What's worse is that it appears that you can only pay by credit card, debit card doesn't seem to be accepted, and that you have to do it online and as of yet travel agents can't do it for you, this leaves older generations in a more problematic position.

aed

Oct 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chris-jay said:
Yeah. I'm from the UK and there has been little to no warning of this. When booking my holiday I got quotes from 3 different places, 2 of those places I visited twice. Only on my last visit to a travel agents which I booked with was I told of it. I have family over in Canada and they never knew of it, I also know a Canadian who lives over here and they didn't know about it as well. For those visiting Canada from next month who don't know about it they could be in for a shock. It's ok if you arrive at the airport and your one of the ones who get it in a few minutes but if your one of the ones who don't then it could be the end of your journey. I know major airports here in the UK have a system in place for those who need to apply for last minute ESTA's for America, but I doubt they will for those visiting Canada and needing an ETA. What's worse is that it appears that you can only pay by credit card, debit card doesn't seem to be accepted, and that you have to do it online and as of yet travel agents can't do it for you, this leaves older generations in a more problematic position.
All points raised are valid. My folks booked their tickets in September. I stumbled upon the eTA requirement completely by accident. Imagine my surprise. One cannot board the plane without a valid eTA. That's it. For my parents that would be the end of their journey to Canada. And yes, they are those folk who are afraid to pay online with their credit card. So, go figure. Agh!

aed

Oct 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chris-jay said:
My mom's eTA has just been approved. So, the whole process took 3-4 weeks. Good luck!

aed

Oct 3, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chris-jay said:
Thanks. It looks like mine will be due in a week or two.
I'm sure. It may come through even faster. We had a long weekend here, so it seems like this delay between my folks' eTA's was due to that. :)

Chris-jay

Feb 18, 2016
aed said:
I'm sure. It may come through even faster. We had a long weekend here, so it seems like this delay between my folks' eTA's was due to that. :)
Hopefully. The delay may also put mine back a day or two.