+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) processing times

Chris-jay

Feb 18, 2016
My ETA came through today.

It took 3 weeks and 1 day from my initial application, it took them 1 week to send out a medical questionnaire and to create a GCKey account account. I did this as soon as I was requested too.

Assuming you provide all the details requested of you as soon as you are requested and your application is accepted then your looking at 3-4 week application stage should your application be ones of the ones that is requested to have more information.

minkeygirl

Feb 25, 2016
Thanks all for the information on this thread, though it has me worried...

We applied for our eTAs on 10th Feb (after booking a last minute deal unaware of the new eTA requirement) and was sent notification that the applications had been received on 14th Feb. Then nothing for 9 days...

On 23rd Feb my husband received his eTA (despite declaring a serious medical condition) while I received an email asking me to create a myCIC account and link my application, as I needed to provide additional documentation.

However, after doing this I found there was no request for documentation listed on the site. I have no messages and the 'Documentation' screen states that no documentation is required. I've submitted both a technical and a case specific query to CIC, but these have processing times of 10 and 30 working days respectively.

We plan to travel to Canada on 18th March, and it is looking like we may have to cancel (and lose a substantial amount of money). Do you think they may set up an alternative system (like the US have for ESTAs) for last minute applications once eTAs are mandatory after the 15th?

Chris-jay

Feb 18, 2016
Nothing we can actually advise on your specific case, hopefully it will come through in time. Double check that your application for an ETA has been linked to your GC Key.

Me and the opening poster on here have agreed that it is very possible that next month there will be lots of difficulties. It may mean unfortunately some people may not be allowed in Canada and will have their plans spoilt, it may mean that Canada may have to hold back on it being mandatory, it maybe that they will look at each case specifically upon entry. No one knows for sure how any problems will be addressed.

Is it not possible for you to fly in earlier and just amend your holiday times? The ruling only applies a few days before you are due to fly in.

minkeygirl

Feb 25, 2016
For info, CIC has extended deadline for eTA requirement until "Fall 2016". Visa exempt foreigners still must meet normal entrance requirement. Hopefully they'll let me in!

From the CIC website:
Visa-exempt foreign nationals are expected to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada, starting March 15, 2016. Exceptions include U.S. citizens, and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents are not eligible to apply for an eTA.
However, from March 15, 2016 until fall 2016, travellers who do not have an eTA can board their flight, as long as they have appropriate travel documents, such as a valid passport. During this time, border services officers can let travellers arriving without an eTA into the country, as long as they meet the other requirements to enter Canada.

Chris-jay

Feb 18, 2016
minkeygirl said:
For info, CIC has extended deadline for eTA requirement until "Fall 2016". Visa exempt foreigners still must meet normal entrance requirement. Hopefully they'll let me in!

From the CIC website:
Visa-exempt foreign nationals are expected to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada, starting March 15, 2016. Exceptions include U.S. citizens, and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents are not eligible to apply for an eTA.
However, from March 15, 2016 until fall 2016, travellers who do not have an eTA can board their flight, as long as they have appropriate travel documents, such as a valid passport. During this time, border services officers can let travellers arriving without an eTA into the country, as long as they meet the other requirements to enter Canada.
I think this was inevitable. The process doesn't seem to be fast enough at the minute, especially if it's last minute traveling.
I guess it's a big relief for you and others who are having troubles with the process.

ievels

Mar 18, 2016
aed said:
Hi. First, I apologize for the length of this post. I am wondering if anybody here knows anything about eTA (electronic Travel Authorization) processing times for visa-exempt nationals. I am aware that obtaining eTA usually takes several minutes, but unfortunately this doesn't seem to be my parents' case. As their representative, I applied for both eTA's on January 20. In the eTA application, CIC makes inquiries about any health conditions that require medication on a daily basis. In case of my parents that would be a well-controlled hypertension. On January 22, I received a request from CIC for a medical questionnaire for my parents. It was a page-long questionnaire focusing mainly on tuberculosis and kidney problems, which my parents don't suffer from. I filled the questionnaire and submitted it the same day. Since then, nothing. Did anyone experience a similar delay? I am a bit concerned as my parents are planning to travel this May. They bought the tickets way back in September. We weren't even aware they would need an eTA at that time. Perhaps I should mention that my parents have travelled to Canada before (a month-long stay at our place 2 years ago), so it's not their first visit. They're both retired with sufficient funds, and have never been denied entry to Canada, or convicted of any crime etc. They also always purchase a medical coverage. Any input will be much appreciated!
Hi. I was just wondering if you can help me. I was asked to submit aditional documents to get eTA. But once we created mycic account this Link my eta application but than link button is nowhere in welcome page. :( i am desperate as it has been whole month and cic just keep sending automatic answers. Do you know where that button was? All i have is links about changing passwords etc

Tifanm91

Mar 29, 2016
Hi All,

I wished I had read this forum before! I have booked my flight tickets to Canada and learned after about this eTA requirement. At first I thought it was as easy as the ESTA for US.
Thanks to all for your feedback about the length of time it takes to receive an answer when you are asked for more information, that's very helpful. In my case they also asked for a medical questionnaire that I provided on the same day as the request, on the 16th March.
I am due to travel in May so getting slightly nervous.
Would you recommend NOT flying to Canada even though the eTA is pending? The website says that it is mandatory from fall 2016 and that "travellers who do not have an eTA can board their flight, as long as they have appropriate travel documents" but when you read through the FAQ it includes convincing the immigration officers that you'll get back to your country.
I note that the eTA is not requested when travelling by land/sea so in the worst case I might go to Seattle and then travel by car to my final destination in Canada...