+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Electronic Travel Authorisation

suemc

May 15, 2016
I understand that there is a new requirement for entering Canada from visa exempt countries coming into effect this year. Visitors must obtain an ETA. My question is will Canadian citizens with dual nationality from a visa exempt country still be able to enter on their non-Canadian passport? Those with dual nationality are not able to obtain an ETA. Will the certificate of Canadian citizenship be enough, together with a passport from their original country?
Thanks for any responses.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Canadian citizens should enter Canada on a Canadian passport. Beginning this fall, you will have to show proof of Canadian citizenship before boarding the flight. A citizenship certificate is proof of citizenship, but it is not a secure travel document--so I bet the airline wont accept it, as they would be on the hook to fly you back if you aren't admitted to Canada. Just get a Canadian passport.

CANADAPATRIOT

Star Member
Feb 28, 2016
links18 said:
Canadian citizens should enter Canada on a Canadian passport. Beginning this fall, you will have to show proof of Canadian citizenship before boarding the flight. A citizenship certificate is proof of citizenship, but it is not a secure travel document--so I bet the airline wont accept it, as they would be on the hook to fly you back if you aren't admitted to Canada. Just get a Canadian passport.
I understand the intention of your post but let me correct few things and make it more relevant and understandable-

1) Proof of Citizenship and Travel Document are two different things.

2) You would argue, well Canadian Passport is a proof of Citizenship isn't it

IT is but when you travel outside Canada and TO return Canada you need both; which means

1) Prove that you are Canadian returning home or Canadian Permanent Resident or someone authorized to return to Canada

2) Have a travel document

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
CANADAPATRIOT said:
I understand the intention of your post but let me correct few things and make it more relevant and understandable-

1) Proof of Citizenship and Travel Document are two different things.

2) You would argue, well Canadian Passport is a proof of Citizenship isn't it

IT is but when you travel outside Canada and TO return Canada you need both; which means

1) Prove that you are Canadian returning home or Canadian Permanent Resident or someone authorized to return to Canada

2) Have a travel document
Huh? Starting fall of this year everyone (except Americans) must have an ETA to enter Canada at the airport. Canadian citizens cannot get an ETA, so they need proof of Canadian citizenship before getting on the plane. It will be the airlines checking this. A citizenship certificate is not a secure travel document, so starting fall 2016, Canadian citizens seeking to fly to Canada (even those with a visa exempt passport from another country) should have a Canadian passport, or risk not being allowed to board the plane.

farid-

Apr 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I m confused a bit so as per my understanding coming back to Canada will need Canadian passport n that will be enough proof am i right in saying that please correct me if I m wrong. Thanks

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
farid- said:
I m confused a bit so as per my understanding coming back to Canada will need Canadian passport n that will be enough proof am i right in saying that please correct me if I m wrong. Thanks
You will need a Canadian Passport to be able to fly back to Canada. If you try to use a passport other than Canadian Passport, you may be prevented from boarding since you would be unable to get ETA as dual canadian.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
farid- said:
A valid Canadian passport is proof of Canadian citizenship and it is a secure travel document, so yes that is sufficient. No Canadian citizen should leave the country without one....