+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

wd1

Star Member
Mar 11, 2015
MUFC said:
It's absolutely fine.
I also have 3-4 months of vacations and holidays per year, but I am not working for someone or for corporation to be limited only by the vacation period given from the employer.
Sure, sure. It's fine. It's also fine to apply with being short of 1095 days.
But lets have a look from CIC point of view. He apply with exactly 1095 days of residency, on the last day of 3/4 rule with lots of travel. Why is he so desperate to become Canadian ? Because he wants go to voting pools ? Or trying to beat bill C24 ? This is the reason why next month dominating topic on the forums will be " Why recently takes so long to get AOR"

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
screech339 said:
B) 2. The accused have a right to due process. He has a right to fair trial. Show up in court and defend yourself in the court of law. If you don't want to show up, fine. You will simply be convicted in absence or worst you are basically stuck without a passport. Losing a passport is not the same as losing citizenship.
Are you sure about that? I may be misinformed, but I think that the new law estates that the minister can revoke the citizenship without the chance of the person to appeal or defend himself in court.

wd1

Star Member
Mar 11, 2015
Bigudi said:
Are you sure about that? I may be misinformed, but I think that the new law estates that the minister can revoke the citizenship without the chance of the person to appeal or defend himself in court.
Yes you are right and not misinformed. But don't forget that this person must be first convicted in the court of law for the wrongdoing.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wd1 said:
Sure, sure. It's fine. It's also fine to apply with being short of 1095 days.
But lets have a look from CIC point of view. He apply with exactly 1095 days of residency, on the last day of 3/4 rule with lots of travel. Why is he so desperate to become Canadian ? Because he wants go to voting pools ? Or trying to beat bill C24 ? This is the reason why next month dominating topic on the forums will be " Why recently takes so long to get AOR"
If I wasn't traveling abroad since November last year I would have been also eligible to apply now with extremely short extra buffer of days which would be very risky, because of the high volume I have of exit/entry records in Canada.

Therefore in order to obtain my Canadian citizenship faster and smoothly I decided to apply under the new rules.

For me is nonsense someone deliberately risking to get RQ under the old and slow rules.
But this is a result from the general baseless paranoia among the people that for some reason the new rules are bad. Some people even feel sorry for those who will apply under the new rules. LOL

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Bigudi said:
That is right. He first must be convicted in the court of law. After that he will not be able to appeal or defend himself in the court to KEEP his/her CITIZENSHIP. How can he/she defend keeping citizenship if that is that the consequence of being involved in terrorism.

ArvindXBhatia

Nov 11, 2010
MUFC said:
If I wasn't traveling abroad since November last year I would have been also eligible to apply now with extremely short extra buffer of days which would be very risky, because of the high volume I have of exit/entry records in Canada.

Therefore in order to obtain my Canadian citizenship faster and smoothly I decided to apply under the new rules.

For me is nonsense someone deliberately risking to get RQ under the old and slow rules.
But this is a result from the general baseless paranoia among the people that for some reason the new rules are bad. Some people even feel sorry for those who will apply under the new rules. LOL
I think differently. In my case, I became eligible now under old rules or in August 2017 under new rules. I figure that even with an RQ, I might get my citizenship faster under old rules.

wd1

Star Member
Mar 11, 2015
MUFC said:

THUMBS UP

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ArvindXBhatia said:
I think differently. In my case, I became eligible now under old rules or in August 2017 under new rules. I figure that even with an RQ, I might get my citizenship faster under old rules.
So basically you prefer to stay for a long time in the unknown instead of having a fast and easygoing processing under the new law.
For me that is non-sense.

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
screech339 said:
That is right. He first must be convicted in the court of law. After that he will not be able to appeal or defend himself in the court to KEEP his/her CITIZENSHIP. How can he/she defend keeping citizenship if that is that the consequence of being involved in terrorism.
Ok, good point. But even than, I still would like to raise two points:

1 - What if someone is convicted of terrorism? This person should be arrested what whatever, I understand. But what does the crime has to do with the citizenship (even if the person has dual citizenship). I really don't understand how the two things are related.

2 - Couldn't this be a slippery slope? Today the reason to revoke the citizenship without defense or appeal is terrorism, tomorrow is jaywalking?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Bigudi said:
Ok, good point. But even than, I still would like to raise two points:

1 - What if someone is convicted of terrorism? This person should be arrested what whatever, I understand. But what does the crime has to do with the citizenship (even if the person has dual citizenship). I really don't understand how the two things are related.

2 - Couldn't this be a slippery slope? Today the reason to revoke the citizenship without defense or appeal is terrorism, tomorrow is jaywalking?
You do realized that we had a revoking of citizenship in law long before C-24 came into play. There was and still is a clause to revoke citizenship if convicted on charge of being a traitor. Why wasn't there any fuss over that? Why now, all of a sudden? The only difference is that the government had added terrorism to the list, nothing more.

Since there was revoking clause in law before terrorism was added, was jaywalking added since?

No slippery slope to worry about unless our government has turned into North Korea.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
You do realized that we had a revoking of citizenship in law long before C-24 came into play. There was and still is a clause to revoke citizenship if convicted on charge of being a traitor. Why there wasn't any fuss over that? Why all of a sudden, now? The only difference is that the government had added terrorism to the list, nothing more. Since there was revoking clause in law before terrorism was added, was jaywalking added since?
Because the people have that need to create baseless bedtime fear stories.
Trust me is really funny when I see all those non-sense critics about the new Law. But many people here are naïve and really believe that the government wants secretly to revoke their citizenship.

LOL- Big time

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
MUFC said:
Yes in my case I give a priority to the international vacations.
I don't blame you especially if the cost is equal or greater to travel within Canada than outside Canada. It is pretty pathetic that it cost us an arm and leg to explore your own country Canada. I would rather spend the same amount exploring outside Canada.

Take for example: I hear tons of stories of people travelling across Canada by car and only to stop at North Sydney, NS and turn around. What's happened? Because it would cost at least $500 to take your car across on the ferry to Nfld and back on the shortest route. I rather take that 500 and put it to better use.

a4architecture

Star Member
Jul 17, 2011
LAHORE,PAKISTAN
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2010
Doc's Request.
SENT
AOR Received.
04-01-2011
IELTS Request
SENT
File Transfer...
14-04-2011
Med's Request
27-07-2011
Med's Done....
19-08-2011
Interview........
not yet
Passport Req..
PPR-1: 18-05-2012, PPR-2: 21-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
29-06-2012
LANDED..........
29-07-2012 happy since then..alhamdullah
Remaining Citizenship Act reforms coming into force

June 5, 2015 — Ottawa, ON — A final suite of reforms to strengthen and modernize Canada's citizenship laws will be fully in force as of June 11, 2015. The changes – part of a package of measures approved by Parliament last year – ensure new citizens can fully and quickly participate in Canada's economy and Canadian society.

The first set of provisions that came into force last summer to strengthen Canadian citizenship and speed up application processing times are already paying off. New citizenship applications are being finalized in a year or less, and it is expected that the backlog of older files will have been eliminated by the end of this fiscal year. Individuals who submitted a citizenship application before April 1, 2015 will have a decision by March 31, 2016.

Among the many benefits of the government's citizenship reforms, the new provisions will deter citizens of convenience – those who become citizens for the sake of having a Canadian passport to return to Canada to access taxpayer-funded benefits that come with citizenship status, without having any attachment to Canada, or contributing to the economy.

Key changes include (in force June 11, 2015):

Adult applicants must now be physically present in Canada for at least 1,460 days (four years) during the six years before the date of their application, and they must be physically present in Canada for at least 183 days in each of four calendar years within the qualifying period. This is aimed at ensuring that citizenship applicants develop a strong attachment to Canada.
Applicants between the ages of 14 and 64 must meet basic knowledge and language requirements. This is aimed at ensuring that more new citizens are better prepared for life in Canada.
Citizenship will be automatically extended to additional “Lost Canadians” on June 11th, who were born before 1947, and did not become citizens on January 1, 1947 when the first Canadian Citizenship Act came into effect. This will also apply to their children born in the first generation outside Canada.
Adult applicants must declare their intent to reside in Canada once they become citizens and meet their personal income tax obligations in order to be eligible for citizenship.
To help improve program integrity, there are now stronger penalties for fraud and misrepresentation (to a maximum fine of $100,000 and/or up to five years in prison). This is aimed at deterring unscrupulous applicants who are prepared to misrepresent themselves, or advise others to do so.
The newly-designated Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) is the new regulatory body for citizenship consultants. Only members of the ICCRC, lawyers or notaries (including paralegals and students at law) can be paid to provide citizenship applicants with representation or advice.
New application forms, aligned with the new rules for eligibility, will be available on the CIC website as of June 11, 2015. Any applications received using the old forms received after June 10, 2015 will be returned to the applicant.

a4architecture

Star Member
Jul 17, 2011
LAHORE,PAKISTAN
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2010
Doc's Request.
SENT
AOR Received.
04-01-2011
IELTS Request
SENT
File Transfer...
14-04-2011
Med's Request
27-07-2011
Med's Done....
19-08-2011
Interview........
not yet
Passport Req..
PPR-1: 18-05-2012, PPR-2: 21-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
29-06-2012
LANDED..........
29-07-2012 happy since then..alhamdullah

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=985259&_ga=1.226448090.1576865874.1433869883

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
a4architecture said:

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=985259&_ga=1.226448090.1576865874.1433869883
We all know this since Friday past. It is a little late posting it now.