+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

Martin29

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
bh_bh said:
I apologize if this question has been answered already, but I'm still not quite clear on the implementation of 4/6 rule.

I became a PR on April 2013. Does that mean I will have to wait at least until April 2017 to be eligible?

Also, If I understood the new rule properly, I wouldn't have to worry about counting days outside Canada, to the extent of the old rule that is. If I interpreted the rule correctly, as long as I do not stay more than roughly six months outside Canada (per year of course), I should be eligible to apply after four years from the date I became a PR. Is that a fair understanding?

I'm waiting for the online calculator to be updated so I can get an idea of when I should expect to be eligible. Something I noticed in the news release, it didn't specifically mention if the pre-PR time counts or not. It just says 4 years of the 6 years preceding the date of application. I don't want to get my hopes up, but I'd like to see what will officially show up on CIC's website on June 11 to put my mind at ease in this regard.

The new rule is more strict.You have to satisfy 1460 days in 6 years and also 183 days each year for 4 years.You still have to keep track of all your trips.

You will be eligible to apply on April 2017 only if you never went outside Canada in last 4 years.

Martin29

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
I am not sure why CIC recently gave an image that the rule wont come into effect soon and implemented it so fast with less than one week notice.They should have given a reasonable notice period.Naturally people will start application preparation at least 1 month before.Not on the last week.Now all my efforts got wasted.I made my application ready.Wasted lot of money on that.What to do with my citizenship photographs?It wont be valid next year.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Martin29 said:
I am not sure why CIC recently gave an image that the rule wont come into effect soon and implemented it so fast with less than one week notice.They should have given a reasonable notice period.Naturally people will start application preparation at least 1 month before.Not on the last week.Now all my efforts got wasted.I made my application ready.Wasted lot of money on that.What to do with my citizenship photographs?It wont be valid next year.
We were all aware of the upcoming change and if I were in a position whereby I qualify in june but don't know when the deadline will be, I would have at least been proactive in preparing my documents ahead of time. Once the documents were ready, all I had to do was print up the application, and sign it. If my qualification date was after June 11, oh well. Tough luck. If I qualify before june 11, bonus for me due to being proactive in preparing for it.

David_Parker

Star Member
Mar 29, 2015
THEY HAVE INCRESED 2 YEARS FOR ME
PAYING FULL TAXES SINCE 2007
I LOST 1 YEAR BEFORE PR and also need to complete 1 more year

Injustice! Injustice!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
David_Parker said:
F**KING THEY HAVE INCRESED 2 YEARS FOR ME
PAYING FULL TAXES SINCE 2007
I LOST 1 YEAR BEFORE PR and also need to complete 1 more year

Injustice! Injustice!
What does paying taxes have anything to do with citizenship. It is not one of the qualification requirements for citizenship. Paying taxes does not give anyone a right to citizenship. If it does according to you, then only people who pay taxes only get citizenship. That is rather unfair to stay at home spouses, don't you think? It only pays for police/fire/garbage services, road maintenance, CPP, etc etc.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just came back from another short term vacation and it seems I've missed all the action :D

Well congrats to those who were guessing that the real cut off date will be June 11th.

The new law is good for people like me who don't have that much physical presence in Canada on a yearly basis.
In my case I have approx. 3 or 4 months vacation per year with extensive traveling abroad.
With the old law I would have never accumulate 3 years in a 4 year window range.
Now it's much better, because the law gives much more flexibility for the people who don't have that much physical attachment in Canada like me.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
MUFC said:
I just came back from another short term vacation and it seems I've missed all the action :D

Well congrats to those who were guessing that the real cut off date will be June 11th.

The new law is good for people like me who don't have that much physical presence in Canada on a yearly basis.
In my case I have approx. 3 or 4 months vacation per year with extensive traveling abroad.
With the old law I would have never accumulate 3 years in a 4 year window range.
Now it's much better, because the law gives much more flexibility for the people who don't have that much physical attachment in Canada like me.
I hope you had a nice vacation.

It appears that the June 11 did in fact fall into approx ONE YEAR after royal ascent that I have been telling everyone.

What do you have to say about your +/- 3 months (6 months range). You being a trader yourself, you should know that one year means one year.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
I hope you had a nice vacation.

It appears that the June 11 did in fact fall into approx ONE YEAR after royal ascent that I have been telling everyone.

What do you have to say about your +/- 3 months (6 months range). You being a trader yourself, you should know that one year means one year.
Thanks it was just the beginning of the holydays lot for the year.

I got no problem to say that I was wrong with my guess.
But I can't hide the fact that I was hopping this law to be enforced sooner, because indeed it will help people in my situation.
With the old rules I would be always couple of weeks short to fulfill the physical presence requirement.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chikloo said:
In puralotor for 380 dollars they have next flight service. It will reach in 4 or 5 hours.
380 dollars for an envelope????
Better rent a private jet and at least the applicant can do some tourism at Nova Scotia.

april2015

Star Member
Apr 5, 2015
Mississauga ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No need to spend $380.00 dude. If you are confident enough that you accumulate 1095 days on Monday, you should definitely sign and date your application on Tuesday morning and send it through Purolator in the morning itself as they do have overnight courier service that delivers documents by the end of next business day. They delivered mine from Mississauga to Sydney in the afternoon of next business day. I also happen to send stuff at work from Mississauga to Calgary and have experience that the documents are delivered by the end of next business day. Especially, if you haven't been outside of Canada during your 1095 days, I would strongly suggest that you must attempt to apply under the old rule. Review your application 10 times before sending to ensure completeness and that you do not commit any errors or miss out any info, a few examples are such as not leaving any field blank that is not relevant to you and make sure to print N/A in that field, be clear on dates like no errors such as printing 2015 instead of 2014 or vice versa, don't forget to write names and dates at the back of the photos and most importantly not to forget signing both the application and esp. the residence calculator. Finally, have an extra pair of eyes review your package to ensure that application is complete and free from errors. The best thing to do is to follow each and every step on the application guide and you are good. Remember, you DO NOT have margin for error or risking your application to be returned to you due to errors or being incomplete.

Print and keep everything ready today and tomorrow except the residence calculator, print the same on Tuesday and courier everything on Tuesday morning, suggest you courier it from a direct Purolator collection office and not an agent to save on collection time as Purolator collects package from the agent only at the end of the day.

Good Luck mate! you've got nothing to lose here except for the courier fee but if you win, you will save a good ONE year or perhaps more than a year unless you're happy to wait for another year and then apply :)

Surprised said:
Friends, I need some advise. I finish my 1095 days on Monday. I have the application ready. Should I send it or wait another year?

Surprised

Star Member
Aug 1, 2009
MiriamT said:
Where are you located? I read some people on this forum say that Purolator does delivery overnight, so you could theoretically send it on Tuesday and have it received by the CPC on Wednesday (I guess that'd depend where in the country you are). I chose FedEx Priority Overnight and it wasn't overnight at all — but I'm all the way in BC.
I am in BC as well. I spent most of my day completing application and calling all the courier companies and you are right - no body is offering over night service from here. I called Purolator again after I saw your message and they do have a same day department but not open today - I will call them first thing tomorrow morning and see if they can do something. Thanks for taking time to respond my friend.

Surprised

Star Member
Aug 1, 2009
april2015 said:
No need to spend $380.00 dude. If you are confident enough that you accumulate 1095 days on Monday, you should definitely sign and date your application on Tuesday morning and send it through Purolator in the morning itself as they do have overnight courier service that delivers documents by the end of next business day. They delivered mine from Mississauga to Sydney in the afternoon of next business day. I also happen to send stuff at work from Mississauga to Calgary and have experience that the documents are delivered by the end of next business day. Especially, if you haven't been outside of Canada during your 1095 days, I would strongly suggest that you must attempt to apply under the old rule. Review your application 10 times before sending to ensure completeness and that you do not commit any errors or miss out any info, a few examples are such as not leaving any field blank that is not relevant to you and make sure to print N/A in that field, be clear on dates like no errors such as printing 2015 instead of 2014 or vice versa, don't forget to write names and dates at the back of the photos and most importantly not to forget signing both the application and esp. the residence calculator. Finally, have an extra pair of eyes review your package to ensure that application is complete and free from errors. The best thing to do is to follow each and every step on the application guide and you are good. Remember, you DO NOT have margin for error or risking your application to be returned to you due to errors or being incomplete.

Print and keep everything ready today and tomorrow except the residence calculator, print the same on Tuesday and courier everything on Tuesday morning, suggest you courier it from a direct Purolator collection office and not an agent to save on collection time as Purolator collects package from the agent only at the end of the day.

Good Luck mate! you've got nothing to lose here except for the courier fee but if you win, you will save a good ONE year or perhaps more than a year unless you're happy to wait for another year and then apply :)
Thanks for your response...actually when I enter the date of when I will sign the application in the online residence calculator it says I am eligible even when I enter Monday's date - so it looks like I can sign on the 1095th day as well. Good advise on the steps too, we made the signature mistake on her residence calculator when sending my wife's application (she finished her 1095 days before me since I made a few overseas trips) and the application was returned first time. So, now I will do my best to finish the application and check it thoroughly today. BTW, we sign the application and the residence calculator only - correct?

Surprised

Star Member
Aug 1, 2009
When specifying the reasons for overseas trip on the residence calculator - do we have to provide details or just just write Work Related or vacation. After I finished my landing I initially went back to finish my work commitments while my family stayed back. Should I explain this in the reason section?

april2015

Star Member
Apr 5, 2015
Mississauga ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would recommend to sign on 1096th day and not on Monday. Application and Residence Calculator to be signed plus you also fill in the information on the online fee payment receipt before sending it out, it asks for your application ID which is nothing but your 8 digits PR Card no. i.e. 1234-5678.

I gave a detailed explanation for every trip like when I went back after landing, I mentioned in detail that I went back to wind up to return back to Canada for good. I also gave all the details of all my trips during that period i.e. between going back after landing for winding up and then coming back to Canada.

Surprised said:
When specifying the reasons for overseas trip on the residence calculator - do we have to provide details or just just write Work Related or vacation. After I finished my landing I initially went back to finish my work commitments while my family stayed back. Should I explain this in the reason section?

Martin29

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
Surprised said:
Thanks for your response...actually when I enter the date of when I will sign the application in the online residence calculator it says I am eligible even when I enter Monday's date - so it looks like I can sign on the 1095th day as well. Good advise on the steps too, we made the signature mistake on her residence calculator when sending my wife's application (she finished her 1095 days before me since I made a few overseas trips) and the application was returned first time. So, now I will do my best to finish the application and check it thoroughly today. BTW, we sign the application and the residence calculator only - correct?
Residence calculator will say you are eligible on Monday because you have 1095 days.But its clearly given on CIC website that you should sign your application only on 1096 or later.

If you sign on Monday it will get rejected.Be careful.