+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
I don't know what the big deal is: so you have to wait one more year ( or up to 2 more years if you were on student or work visa for longer than 2 years before landing), how does it dramatically make your life worse? You already have your PR and are eligible to all the medical/ social benefits, you just can't vote or run for government officials, but I seriously doubt many new immigrants would have what takes to run for mayor or senator after only 3 years in canada. If you intend to live in Canada, one more year of waiting makes minimum difference- I actually know a lot of people in my professional network who have had PR for years and never applied for citizenship, since their home countries don't allow dual citizenship and they don't want to lose the flexibility of visiting families there- they have no plan of moving out of Canada and they enjoy their lives here, same as those citizens, they only thing they can't do is voting

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
itsmyid said:
I don't know what the big deal is: so you have to wait one more year ( or up to 2 more years if you were on student or work visa for longer than 2 years before landing), how does it dramatically make your life worse? You already have your PR and are eligible to all the medical/ social benefits, you just can't vote or run for government officials, but I seriously doubt many new immigrants would have what takes to run for mayor or senator after only 3 years in canada. If you intend to live in Canada, one more year of waiting makes minimum difference- I actually know a lot of people in my professional network who have had PR for years and never applied for citizenship, since their home countries don't allow dual citizenship and they don't want to lose the flexibility of visiting families there- they have no plan of moving out of Canada and they enjoy their lives here, same as those citizens, they only thing they can't do is voting
its not about the waiting time. the new rule introduces a new citizenship class "2nd class citizens" who don't have the same freedom as those who arrived in canada and became citizens before them.

peterperez

Star Member
Mar 18, 2015
emamabd said:
its not about the waiting time. the new rule introduces a new citizenship class "2nd class citizens" who don't have the same freedom as those who arrived in canada and became citizens before them.
True and I am so hurt and sad about it

wcikkk

Star Member
Nov 24, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
itsmyid said:
Because there are a lot of people on this forum who just need Canadian passport and plan to return to their home country.

Some people will bring up "no I have valid reason, this is not fair to..blahblahblah." But let's face it. Most of them just need Canadian passport.

I applied in the last week of May, but I wouldn't mind applying one year later because I already have job and house here in Toronto and don't have plan to move out of Canada.

wcikkk

Star Member
Nov 24, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emamabd said:
What do you mean 2nd class citizen? Are you talking about new clauses regarding "intend to reside in Canada" What's so wrong about that?

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emamabd said:
All the rules make sense (except not counting the time before PR which is extremely stupid as it already allowed students / workers on work permit adapt to society). I have absolutely no issue following these rules as well. Why do you care? Are you going to join a terrorist group or are you here only for passport?! I don't want to work my a** off and pay tax for people to abuse the system and leave this country after getting passport just for them to come back when they are old and use the free benefits (what hardworking taxpayers paid for).

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wcikkk said:
Because there are a lot of people on this forum who just need Canadian passport and plan to return to their home country.

Some people will bring up "no I have valid reason, this is not fair to..blahblahblah." But let's face it. Most of them just need Canadian passport.

I applied in the last week of May, but I wouldn't mind applying one year later because I already have job and house here in Toronto and don't have plan to move out of Canada.
Absolutely, +1.

wcikkk

Star Member
Nov 24, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
paulus said:
YO GEEK U RACIST WHATS UR PROBLEM WITH THE FACT PEOPLE COMES FOR CANADIAN PASSPORT AND GO HUH WHATS UR PROBLEM ??

PEOPLE DOESNT GET GOOD JOBS LIKE U U GEEKO EVERY ONE HAS THEIR RIGHTS

YES WE COME AND WE GO WITH THE PASSPORT IS IT UR PROBLEM SOUNDS LIKE

WE TAKING UR HOUSE OR UR JOB U GEEKO...

FEELS LIKE SH ITTTTIN ON UR SICK FA CE

AS************

MIND UR OWN BUSINESS
LOL CHILL OUT.

Yes I have job and house. Oh let me correct myself. I have job but house is just renting.

I only make just enough to survive on my own. But yes. I'm satisfied with my salary at the moment because I know it will go up once I have more experience.

And someday I can purchase my own house.

But one thing I hate; I don't to waste my tax on someone who just want Canadian passport to get all the free benefit and plan to return home when their purposes are all met

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
dpenabill said:
Which brings up the question of submitting a shortfall application now, to arrive in Sydney by Wednesday . . . or wait another year to apply . . . up to two years for some (those who can get credit for pre-landing time if they apply by Wednesday, but who will get no pre-landing credit if they do not get the application to CIC by Wednesday). Not a good plan to make a last minute shortfall application. I suspect dozens or hundreds or perhaps even more will. I suspect the final batch of applications before the cut-off will be a messy lot. And while I can only speculate about how CIC will approach the final few hundred or thousand applications made this month before the cut-off, it is easy to foresee the amount of scrutiny is likely to be elevated, at least some.

Hi dpenabill,
So... according to your guess, you think there will be a lot more scrutiny for those applicants that barely make the required physical presence or for everybody on that period?
Let me use myself as an example. My application was received and signed by CIC on May 27 (no AOR yet). But I applied with almost 1400 days of physical presence. Do you think these cases also will be more scrutinized than the previous applications?
I know this is just a guessing game. But your guesses have proven to be very reliable.
Thanks a lot.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
OP_POP said:
All the rules make sense (except not counting the time before PR which is extremely stupid as it already allowed students / workers on work permit adapt to society). I have absolutely no issue following these rules as well. Why do you care? Are you going to join a terrorist group or are you here only for passport?! I don't want to work my a** off and pay tax for people to abuse the system and leave this country after getting passport just for them to come back when they are old and use the free benefits (what hardworking taxpayers paid for).
Why do you not agree with cancelling pre-PR days. I happen to agree with cancelling Pre-PR days towards citizenship as you are in fact temporary in Canada. There is no stipulation that having a temporary visa stay means that you are in fact staying in Canada permanently. It is no different from any other countries citizenship qualifications. The first day of qualification towards citizenship starts on your first day as PR.

bh_bh

Jun 6, 2015
I apologize if this question has been answered already, but I'm still not quite clear on the implementation of 4/6 rule.

I became a PR on April 2013. Does that mean I will have to wait at least until April 2017 to be eligible?

Also, If I understood the new rule properly, I wouldn't have to worry about counting days outside Canada, to the extent of the old rule that is. If I interpreted the rule correctly, as long as I do not stay more than roughly six months outside Canada (per year of course), I should be eligible to apply after four years from the date I became a PR. Is that a fair understanding?

I'm waiting for the online calculator to be updated so I can get an idea of when I should expect to be eligible. Something I noticed in the news release, it didn't specifically mention if the pre-PR time counts or not. It just says 4 years of the 6 years preceding the date of application. I don't want to get my hopes up, but I'd like to see what will officially show up on CIC's website on June 11 to put my mind at ease in this regard.

MrB

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The narrative of people coming to Canada to just obtain a passport and leave is played out, annoying, misguided, racist, propaganda, and simply just demonstrates the level of ignorance people have of the immigration system.

Please anyone of this opinion should kindly give a comprehensive explanation of how Canadian citizenship can easily be obtained? You make it seem as if people come here get their passports and just leave without sacrificing a lot. At least an overwhelming percentage of foreigners who immigrate here are genuine candidates who have made sacrifices many of you in a million years can't imagine making. Stop making noise about the insignificant population of people who abuse the system and for those worried about your taxes paying for those oversees, how about you complain about the number of born Canadians that live oversees.

ps: check the stats on this subject, the numbers don't lie!

april2015

Star Member
Apr 5, 2015
Mississauga ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Important Info on the citizenship application forms page of CIC website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/adults.asp

New requirements for Canadian citizenship are coming soon
This could affect your application if CIC receives it on or after June 11, 2015.
Applications made using current application forms must be received by CIC on or before June 10, 2015, and be complete. CIC will not consider the date of mailing (postmark). If you cannot submit a complete application before June 10, wait to submit an application until on or after June 11, 2015. New application forms must be used if submitting an application that will be received on or after June 11, 2015.
Find out more about upcoming changes to the Citizenship Act and strengthening the rules around access to citizenship.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
bh_bh said:
I apologize if this question has been answered already, but I'm still not quite clear on the implementation of 4/6 rule.

I became a PR on April 2013. Does that mean I will have to wait at least until April 2017 to be eligible?

Also, If I understood the new rule properly, I wouldn't have to worry about counting days outside Canada, to the extent of the old rule that is. If I interpreted the rule correctly, as long as I do not stay more than roughly six months outside Canada (per year of course), I should be eligible to apply after four years from the date I became a PR. Is that a fair understanding?
Yes - you will have to wait until at least April 2017 to be eligible. You must have four years of physical residency in Canada within the last four years to be eligible to apply. So if you want to apply in April 2017 - this means you can't leave Canada for even a single day between April 2013 and April 2017.

bh_bh

Jun 6, 2015
this means you can't leave Canada for even a single day between April 2013 and April 2017.
Thanks for the reply. I'm still confused. so what's the provision regarding the 183 days presence? The way I understood it, as long as you're present for 183 days each year, after accumulating 4 years, you are eligible to apply. What am I missing here?