+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

ottomancan

May 8, 2015
Do they have to officially give a notice for cut off day by law? Like a week or 15 days? Or we wake up on 19th and surprise it is 4 out of 6 years?

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
By law they do not need to provide any notice. Any notice that they wish to provide is a courtesy.

ottomancan said:
Do they have to officially give a notice for cut off day by law? Like a week or 15 days? Or we wake up on 19th and surprise it is 4 out of 6 years?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
ottomancan said:
Technically notice has already been given: Bill C-24 incorporating this revision, the 4/6 rule, was tabled in February 2014 and received Royal Assent June 19, 2014. That Bill, now known as the Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act, explicitly states the new rule and explicitly sets out the transitional provisions for how the changes it includes will be implemented.

To be clear: the SCCA is law, fully adopted. So there is notice indeed of these changes.

Additionally, there are some regulatory changes being adopted which will be implemented in conjunction with the revised grant citizenship requirements, and these were published (hence further giving of Notice) in March. The comment period for the proposed regulatory changes has expired, so these could be registered and come into force any day (allowing, however, their coming into force will be dependent on the respective provisions in the SCCA coming into force).

The only part not known is what the exact date will be for putting certain provisions into force, including those which will determine what the last date an application may be made and still be processed under the current 3/4 rule rather than the new 4/6 rule.

That date is to be determined by the Governor in Council (in practice a decision made by PM Harper and a close circle of advisers within his PMO and Cabinet). The Governor in Council will issue an order fixing the coming-into-force date.

When the Governor in Council makes that order, or very shortly thereafter, we will know for certain what the coming-into force date will be. We will know because the date will be explicitly stated in that order.

The thing is, the order itself may fix the very next day as the coming-into-force day, or a date a few days away, or weeks away . . . in the last year I have seen these orders range from being issued the previous day (multiple occasions of this), three days before the date fixed, one was six weeks, and one was months prior to the coming-into-force date. I have not looked at every one of these orders for other acts of Parliament in the last year, but enough to see that there is no general pattern.

Thus, while many have been guessing (including me) that this order is likely to be issued at least a few days prior to the date it fixes as the coming-into-force date, we do NOT know if it will be issued more than just the day before . . . just like what the date itself will be continues to be unknown.

I do not think it is going to happen before May 22, but it could. I do not think it will be any later than July 17th, but it might. We do not know. All suggestions to the contrary, informed guesses included, are at most speculation, no more reliable than the apparently typical response by most call centre representatives, that the date will be June 19.

For clarification: this is NOT a date determined by CIC or CIC Minister Chris Alexander. The Minister probably knows the date, and may have had some input into the decision, but this is a decision made at the very top of this government. Not at the top of CIC but at the top of the Harper government. Many similar decisions for other Acts of Parliament may be more or less dictated by the respective government agency or department, but not for the high profile ones like the SCCA.

Martin29

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
If they already know the implementation date then why not publish it?

Lot of us are in big trouble because of this uncertainty.We are not able to plan anything.

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
From my experience I also agree with the senior members here, that asking CIC for the actual cut off date is waste of time.

CIC doesn't know when exactly the new law will be enforced.

From my conversations with the call centre supervisors, they always say that when they know the actual cut off date it will be published right away for everybody to see.

At least the supervisors are more honest.

The regular call centre agents are unreliable source of information regarding the actual cut off date.

The actual cut off date is unknown for CIC, when they know it for sure it will be published officially.

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
For the grace of God.
May 09 2015 - 7.5 weeks till July first-

NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS 8) 8) 8) 8)

anon123

Jul 19, 2013
RAY2112 said:
After the elections 8) :p
No. The earliest it will come into force is August - September. And there will be no notice. That's part of the election strategy: build up anxiety, let people wonder why still no notice, not in effect, then announce it one day before. Major news outlets will find this newsworthy and will hurry to report. And that's exactly what Harper wants: huge press coverage of his "strengthening citizenship" just before the elections. And the talk will be not about the residence requirement, but about striping citizenship and fighting "citizens of convenience".

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
anon123 said:
No. The earliest it will come into force is August - September. And there will be no notice. That's part of the election strategy: build up anxiety, let people wonder why still no notice, not in effect, then announce it one day before. Major news outlets will find this newsworthy and will hurry to report. And that's exactly what Harper wants: huge press coverage of his "strengthening citizenship" just before the elections. And the talk will be not about the residence requirement, but about striping citizenship and fighting "citizens of convenience".

Your words makes sense, but may be July first canadian day is his target. To be the national hero :p

anon123

Jul 19, 2013
ari5323 said:
Your words makes sense, but may be July first canadian day is his target. To be the national hero :p
July is too close to the "approximately one year" mark, it won't build enough anxiety to be news. They need people to start questioning if the government is becoming "soft on immigrants" by not implementing the changes, and that's when they'll hit the news. It also has to stay in voters' minds long enough for them to vote "the right way". Election is scheduled for October 19th.

TBH I don't think it matters anymore when the change comes into effect. They are already processing the fast-tracked applications which fit the conservative profile and contested seats. The latest applicants to be eligible to vote were probably from last month. In the meantime, a huge backlog has been piling up. The backlog is no good: applicants aren't gonna vote conservative after waiting for so long, why bother processing them. It also affects the promise of cutting "regular" application processing time to 1 year. Better give them RQs and get them off the "regular" track. So all these applications "on hold" will start maturing for Mandamus come end of year / next year. CIC will have no choice but to use its limited resources and get rid of the backlog. Meaning +1 year waiting time for new applicants, same as waiting one year before applying.

That's assuming Harper wins. Looking at the election results in Israel & UK, I think he will. Same strategies, same fearmongering, similar demographics.

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
I've conducted a historical research with similar complicated Laws in the past comparing a lot of similar characteristics between them.

The conclusion from my research is that this types of Laws are very likely to be delayed.
For the same reason me personally I'm convinced that this Law will not be enforced before July.

July 1st is the first date that worries me, because I will be eligible to apply on June 27th and I have to sign the application on June 28th, so practically there is not much time my application to reach CIC Sydney before July 1st.

Because of that I will be forced to take another risk by applying with the minimum physical days without extra buffer of days.

But generally speaking I also hear a lot of expectations that that this Law will not be enforced soon.

This is not surprising fact for me that there is no official news. It is too early to expect something.

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
Dear Anon. Reading your words, Gosh ! We are nothing but Pawns on a chess board, so frustrating.
Stupid me always thought that canada wants my helping the economy and my tax paying.

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
So . What do we have here ?

The lawyers (dpenabill) opinion It can be any day. That's a lawyers cold opinion.

The traders (MUFC) opinion , is based as a practical trader, he says that they , the -CIC- are not ready yet, so July first is the earliest date.

The politics professionals ( Anon and Politern) is Aug first, so it will be fresh in mind of their voters on October 19, the Election Day.

Interesting (-:

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
mature said:
It does not seem to be any credible information concerning a specific statement by Chris Alexander. However issues of Citizenship and in particular revisions introduced by Bill C24 are in tomorrow's agenda of the CBA Conference at a panel tthat will meet between 2.15 and 3.30. Member of this panel will be a high ranking official of CIC.
Any news from the High ranking official, at the meeting ?