File Transfer...
march 2010
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
march 2011
LANDED..........
9'th of june 2011
i am so sorry , i just checked it again . i was calculating wrong .

in fact i will be eligible in the mid may . so that should help i guess.

oh god such a relief.

jassi_cool1980

Champion Member
Jan 7, 2011
guleph on
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
8 bands
File Transfer...
march 2010
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
march 2011
LANDED..........
9'th of june 2011
hgn said:
So...

In the current system, if one is found guilty of treason, terrorism and equivalent heinous crimes, one cannot be stripped of citizenship? It only applies to those applying under the C24 bill?

Will the C24 actually speed up or slow down the process in this case? hmmm...
i think it will apply to anybody regardless of whether he/she has applied after the introduction of bill.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
hgn said:
So...

In the current system, if one is found guilty of treason, terrorism and equivalent heinous crimes, one cannot be stripped of citizenship? It only applies to those applying under the C24 bill?
I think that stripping of citizenship from dual citizens applies to every dual citizen in Canada regardless of when PR acquired citizenship before or after citizenship rules came into effect. Remember those born in Canada as dual are also affected. They can be stripped of their canadian citizenship if convicted. The law does not target PRs who acquired citizenship. It also include those born in Canada with dual citizenship as well.

skyfly

Feb 25, 2015
I am new in this website. My PR expired on Nov 2015 and I can apply for Citizenship on end of Nov. I don't know that right now is a good time for PR renewal or it's better to wait and apply for citizenship first and then PR renewal. I found in some posts that the residency policies might be changed on July. Do you guys have any idea about it? I didn't find the last update about the effective date of new citizenship and also modifications on residency?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Regarding the effect of the changes to grounds for revoking citizenship, as far as I can discern the post by screech339 has it right. Not that it makes much difference. It will only apply to individuals who are basically facing imprisonment for the rest of their lives.

skyfly said:
I am new in this website. My PR expired on Nov 2015 and I can apply for Citizenship on end of Nov. I don't know that right now is a good time for PR renewal or it's better to wait and apply for citizenship first and then PR renewal. I found in some posts that the residency policies might be changed on July. Do you guys have any idea about it? I didn't find the last update about the effective date of new citizenship and also modifications on residency?
Foremost: if you will be eligible for citizenship in November based on the current information posted by CIC online and the current residency calculator, you can throw that calculation out the window. By November for certain the residency requirement will be a physical presence requirement, requiring presence in Canada for at least 4 out of the previous 6 years, plus other qualifying elements.

Assuming you are still in the first five years following the date you became a PR, if you will not meet the 1095 days of actual presence threshold before November 2015, it is probable you will not meet the new requirement before November 2016 (allowing, however, you will pick up and be able to also count any days you were in Canada between the date you landed in 2010 and November 2011 so long as they will still be within six years of the date you apply). Thus, it is unlikely you will become a citizen before the spring of 2017. Probably will want to renew the PR card in the meantime.

Martin29

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
skyfly said:
I am not sure whether you mean your PR will expire on Nov 2015 or it expired on Nov 2014.

If you don't have valid PR card you cannot travel outside Canada in case of emergency.You can travel but you will have a hard time getting paper works done.PR card renewal takes 6 to 7 months.So CIC recommends you to apply for new PR card 6 months before its expiry.So if I am in your place I will apply before June 2015 So that I can travel freely.Residency requirement change in July 2015 is for citizenship.Not for PR.

Even if you apply for citizenship in Nov 2015, it will take 6 months to 1 year now to get citizenship.After citizenship you need a Canadian passport to travel.It will take 1 more month to get passport.So its a long time.You cannot leave Canada during that period if you don't renew your PR card.

PR renewal is only $50.

Citizenship residency requirements will change to 4 years(out of 6 years) from July 1st 2015(approximate date).Implementation Date is not officially declared yet.Now its 3 years(out of 4 years).

I think you will complete 3 years only by Nov 2015.But if Bill C24 gets effective before that date then you have to wait till the new residency requirement is satisfied.

So you need a new PR card anyway.Apply in June.

What I understood is

The new Act was challenged by The Constitutional Rights Center and some others in court.The Federal Court of Canada heard challenge to the constitutionality of the Act for which decision has yet to be released.That maybe the reason why an effective date is not yet announced.

Hope the Act get postponed & we all get enough time. :)

sinpguy

Jul 3, 2011
Saskatoon
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-01-2011
Nomination.....
15-12-2010
AOR Received.
25-07-2011 (by email)
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
02-08-2011
Med's Done....
16-08-2011
Passport Req..
01-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
01-01-2012
LANDED..........
20-01-2012
I see close to 1000 posts. Don't know where is the answer for our first question. When is the effective date of bill c24? ;D ???

samreentariq

Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
05-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-02-2012
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
28-05-2012
Med's Request
06-08-2012
Med's Done....
17-08-2012
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
07-10-2012
I see close to 1000 posts. Don't know where is the answer for our first question. When is the effective date of bill c24?
Hi sinpguy,

No one knows this for sure. CIC has not announced the effective date yet. What we have is speculation that it should come into affect mid June or early July from lawyers at least that is what I was told when I spoke to my lawyer who handled my PR application. So the answer to your question only CIC knows and they have not announced it yet.

sinpguy

Jul 3, 2011
Saskatoon
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-01-2011
Nomination.....
15-12-2010
AOR Received.
25-07-2011 (by email)
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
02-08-2011
Med's Done....
16-08-2011
Passport Req..
01-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
01-01-2012
LANDED..........
20-01-2012
Thanks samreen tariq

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Honestly I'm also very surprised that we are approaching March,2015 and the date is still not officially announced. The expected time is so close, but nothing official.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
. . . effective date . . . only CIC knows and they have not announced it yet.
Indeed, no announcement yet.

Minor clarification: CIC personnel probably do NOT know either.

It is uncertain whether even CIC Minister Chris Alexander knows. Probably, I'd guess. But this is a decision made by the Governor in Council, which means it is really made by the Prime Minister in consultation with the PMO and possibly a few close advisers to the PM in his cabinet. Whether or not Minister Alexander is among that small group of close advisers, relative to this particular decision, is speculative.

This has been perhaps the most secretive government Canada has ever had. Harper has run a remarkably disciplined ship on this score (which to my view is not a positive).

MUFC said:
Honestly I'm also very surprised that we are approaching March,2015 and the date is still not officially announced. The expected time is so close, but nothing official.
In contrast, I will be very surprised if there is any official announcement much more than a calendar month in advance of the effective date. I am expecting credible rumours in the near future (will be difficult, though, to identify which ones are credible, at least initially).

At some point, CIC personnel will at least be involved in setting up final implementation steps, and while they probably will still not be officially informed as to the effective date many of them should be able to discern roughly when it is coming . . . and then some credible rumours should make their way into the public domain.

Those individuals working on modifying forms (like the application itself), writing software (including new residency calculation software, as well as internal processing software including changes to GCMS), and drafting policies and practices for implementing the changes, probably work entirely separately from any CIC personnel who work on processing applications. They are probably relatively few in number, working in relatively small teams. They probably do not know the date either, but of course they undoubtedly have some deadlines which are related to the planned date (per the Prime Minister's plan, not CIC's). These individuals probably keep what they know close to the vest and are not likely to be broadcasting anticipated dates.

Call centre personnel will probably be among the last of CIC personnel to know. Some participants here may know before the call centre personnel do.

My speculation: there will be some notice, probably not a lot.

This government does not give any more notice than it is compelled to give, either by law or due to pressing practicalities.

Examples: there was no notice before the fee increase in February 2014. There was no notice of Governor in Council's order prior to the provisions in Bill C-24 which came into force on August 1, 2014 (implementing the so-called one-step decision-making process). There was no notice before the implementation of the drastic changes to policies governing the issuance of RQ in April 2012 (which had a disastrous impact and which has left scores of applicants still in limbo today; much of that disaster was due to the minimal consultation with actual CIC personnel before dumping the change on them).

That there was notice prior to the more recent increase in fees signalled, to me, that the previous increase without notice probably created more problems than it was worth (I suspect hundreds if not more than a thousand applications had to be returned for insufficient payment of fees). Thus, the obvious pressing practicality of giving some notice despite this government's general tendency to give little or no notice except as required by law. This should loom very large in considering the need to give notice of when the revised residency requirements will come into force. Without at least a week or so notice, CIC would end up with many thousands of applications requiring an assessment of residency even though it is certain the applications will fail . . . a huge workload and much expense which can be largely avoided by some advance notice.

Obviously, many are anxiously watching for news of when the changes will become effective.

It is a bit like watching a series on cable TV, lots of drama, little or no progress toward a resolution. Except thousands of real people's lives will be affected. No life or death consequences hanging in the balance, but for many immigrants taking those last steps to becoming fully Canadian, becoming a citizen, is a very big deal. And for some, a year or more delay can impose substantial inconvenience, including significantly diminished career opportunities with a real impact on their bank accounts. So it matters.

sidestep4u

Sep 27, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
surrey bc
NOC Code......
citizenship
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
dec 19 2016
Interview........
mar 9 2017
yes it matters. i become eligible in november 2015. so one more year wait is hard to accept. :(

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
Guyz, i am trying to understand the new residency requirement (which will probably come in effect this summer).
The new residency requirement says 4 out of 6 years. And each of the year, you must be physically present in Canada for 183 days (minimum) per year in 4 out of 6 years.

Does that mean, if an applicant travels outside of Canada for two months per year, can he/she still apply for citizenship after 4 years because the applicant has been living in Canada in 4 out of 6 years, and has spent more than 183 days per year in each of the year ??? or does that applicant has to further complete 2 months that were spent outside Canada each of the years ???

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
indusvision said:
Guyz, i am trying to understand the new residency requirement (which will probably come in effect this summer).
The new residency requirement says 4 out of 6 years. And each of the year, you must be physically present in Canada for 183 days (minimum) per year in 4 out of 6 years.

Does that mean, if an applicant travels outside of Canada for two months per year, can he/she still apply for citizenship after 4 years because the applicant has been living in Canada in 4 out of 6 years, and has spent more than 183 days per year in each of the year ??? or does that applicant has to further complete 2 months that were spent outside Canada each of the years ???
New requirement to take effect some time this year:

The provisions are conjunctive, meaning both must be met to qualify.

The qualified PR must have been present in Canada, since becoming a PR, at least 1460 days within the six years preceding the date the application was made.

The qualified applicant must also have been present at least half the year for four calendar years partially or fully within the preceding six years.

Thus: If total time spent in Canada in the six relevant years is less than 1460 days, the PR is not qualified for citizenship.

Thus: If a PR has been outside Canada for 183 days or more in each of three years (or more), the PR is not qualified for citizenship.

Most PRs who meet the 1460 days total requirement will readily also meet the 183 days/calendar year requirement. But, for example, a PR who spends nearly all of three calendar years in Canada (in those three years totalling 1050 days say) and another 450 days were spread out over the course of the other three calendar years (150 days per year), will not be qualified even though having spent a total of 1500 days in Canada over the relevant six years.

The 183/calendar year times four requirement is mostly likely intended to work in conjunction with the requirement to have complied with CRA tax law, recognizing that the CRA presumes anyone present in Canada for 183 or more days in a calendar year is a resident of Canada for taxation purposes.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
sidestep4u said:
yes it matters. i become eligible in november 2015. so one more year wait is hard to accept. :(
Yes you are mostly likely have to wait another year til Nov 2016 assuming you are not using any Pre-PR days towards your current 3/4 rule. As much as it is hard to accept, you have no choice but to wait another year under the 4/6 year rule.