+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

Raman_Ram

Star Member
May 25, 2009
I called yesterday. Agent said as far as their office is informed its June/July 2015 for the 4/6 frame. He also mentioned that most of the other rules were already in force or being implemented.
And also confirmed that they won't go retroactive, if 4/6 gets implemented in the future. So the date you apply and they receive is final.

Nuwa

Feb 3, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Raman_Ram for sharing this.

Raman_Ram said:
I called yesterday. Agent said as far as their office is informed its June/July 2015 for the 4/6 frame. He also mentioned that most of the other rules were already in force or being implemented.
And also confirmed that they won't go retroactive, if 4/6 gets implemented in the future. So the date you apply and they receive is final.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Update from the immigration centre @ Scarborough

The new residency rule 4/6 will be enforced definitely next year and the cut off date is expected to be around September 2015. This is the latest information they have from the main office @ Sidney.

NadTab

Oct 13, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MUFC said:
Update from the immigration centre @ Scarborough

The new residency rule 4/6 will be enforced definitely next year and the cut off date is expected to be around September 2015. This is the latest information they have from the main office @ Sidney.
Hi

This info is available in any website. Plz send me link

Thanks a lot

Cheers

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no legal obligation for them to follow in order to give a early notice in advance as a official public statement.

So they can announce the date @ the last moment or even retroactively.

I'm also waiting for the final cut off date, but it looks like they don't have the intention to release it officially soon.

It seems that they have organisational and technical problems and because of that they still don't announce the date.

NadTab

Oct 13, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MUFC said:
There is no legal obligation for them to follow in order to give a early notice in advance as a official public statement.

So they can announce the date @ the last moment or even retroactively.

I'm also waiting for the final cut off date, but it looks like they don't have the intention to release it officially soon.

It seems that they have organisational and technical problems and because of that they still don't announce the date.
Hi MUFC

Is it true the cut of date maybe in september 2015 or it just guess???

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That information is from the agents who are working @ the immigration office Scarborough. It is a public place and everybody can go and ask for their own assurance.

They are taking that info from the head office in Sidney.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
NadTab said:
Is it true the cut of date maybe in september 2015 or it just guess???
It is likely an estimate. Basically a "like to have but unsure" date. Happens all the time in any industry. Working in the software industry we have estimated dates for our software release but we don't make it official public because we are not sure yet and don't want people to depend on it. But we will tell customers like "tentatively around the end of February of next year". I will say that in 99% of cases, dates usually slip and end up being later. It is very rare that the official date is moved up from the estimated date.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Exactly keesio,

The exact wordind from the agent was... "Around September or even October 2015,but definitely next year."

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
As for when the remaining provisions of Bill C-24 take effect (many are already in force), including when the 4/6 year presence requirement as well as the "intent to continue residing in Canada" requirement to qualify for naturalized citizenship will apply, to say "definitely next year" is undoubtedly a safe bet. Beyond that, the only official source of information as to when was the public announcement at the time Bill C-24 was given Royal Assent and became law (for clarity: all of Bill C-24 is adopted law, including the 4/6 year presence requirement as well as the "intent to continue residing in Canada" requirement to qualify for naturalized citizenship, even though not all provisions have yet "come into force"), back in mid-June, was that the new residency requirements (actually physical presence requirements) would take effect in about a year. . . . which would be mid-June 2015.

Reminder: a large portion of the provisions in Bill C-24 are already "in force," which means many of its provisions are being currently applied.

Thus, there is no doubt that those provisions (including the presence and intent provisions) for which the Governor in Council has yet to designate the date they come into force will, indeed, come into force. The only question is when.

I agree that there are similarities here with the rollout of new software or new products (especially electronics or products otherwise dependent on developing technology), since after all a big part of what needs to be done in order to implement the new residency requirements is the rewriting of software, ranging from the software utilized for accessing and using GCMS, to that underlying the residency calculator, but of course also including rewriting guidelines and manuals for operating policy and practices, creating new application forms, new Residency Questionnaire forms, new checklists for level one screeners and interviewers, and more.

However, I am skeptical of reports that CIC representatives even know, let alone are saying when the rollout is likely to happen. September or so in 2015 could be when it will happen. But I would not be much surprised if it happens sooner, as early as May, or at least by July 1st.

Politics is likely to be a dominant force influencing the actual date. This government keeps a tight wrap on information about these sorts of things, and the decision itself will be made by a very small circle of inner advisers to PM Harper. Even Minister Alexander may not have much input. That is how this government operates.

And, anyone who followed the citizenship application process through the 2012 debacle, when CIC plunged into a pre-test RQ process prematurely and with utterly inadequate preparation, is well aware that this government in particular is all-too-willing to implement new practices first and figure out how it needs to be done later.

I suspect that Harper's inner circle have a very definite date in mind, and if there are problems in getting all the various elements into place at CIC in time, that is not likely to delay things, not by much, but rather CIC will be compelled to implement and adapt on the go if necessary. I further suspect that to the extent there is still some uncertainty as to what that date will be, that uncertainty is related to political maneuvering in advance of the coming Federal election.

I discuss this in more depth in the citizenship forum at immigration.ca, including some observations about the likely influence internal polling by Conservatives will have, relative to political maneuvering in anticipation of the next Federal election, which Harper could call for at any time now (recognizing though that at the latest the election must be held by next October).

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes apparently the federal elections will play a key role regarding the determination of the cut off date.

I also agree that they might announce the cut off date officially at the very last moment or even retroactively.

Me personally I don't expect any official statement from them in the near future.

But it looks like the dead line for them to procrastinate is October 2015, because of the elections.

nadeem55

Aug 3, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2011
Doc's Request.
15-04-2011
Nomination.....
????
AOR Received.
25-05-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with the initial application to CIO
File Transfer...
20-06-2011 to Buffalo
Med's Request
22-02-2013 from Ottawa
Med's Done....
27-02-2013
Interview........
Wavied :)
Passport Req..
05-04-2013 via Email
VISA ISSUED...
06 May, 2013
LANDED..........
11 May, 2013 Landed Immigrant :)
Hi MUFC,

As posted already, I repeat: I really hope this provision will be delayed upto Sep, 2015 so the desperation and frustration which some people are creating could calm down and the applicants (including me) who are worried about their applications can get a sigh of relief.

Thanks, keep us posted with the update.

Nadeem