May 2013
Med's Done....
June 2013
Interview........
Sept 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Prospective Canuck said:
Let me offer my two cents (although pennies are no longer acceptable in Canada!)

Canadian citizenship is not a right! Perhaps not even a right to a privilege!

However, the rights which should be of focus are those regarding the rights of good faith applicants to be treated fairly, consistent with statutes, case law and CIC regulations (such as OB 407-D).

Whenever an errant CIC officer is derelict in his/her duties, and improperly and erroneously condemns a case file to the "non-routine" purgatory, then rights are involved. Fundamental rights are the steps in the path to citizenship. Although there are those who argue that citizenship is not a right, I challenge them to argue that applicants have no rights that citizenship officers adhere to statutes and CIC regulations!

Why do good faith applicants fear scrutiny? I invite, even demand the utmost level of scrutiny, because my qualifications are impeccable.

When an errant citizenship officer neglects due scrutiny, and with no knowledge of the case file, whatsoever, consigns it to the "non-routine" stack, not to be reviewed for 2 or 3 years, the aforementioned rights have been violated, and there is quasi-legal and legal recourse.

Friends, please avail yourselves of concrete rights, as I have mentioned, rather than illusory rights, such as "rights to notification", "rights to vacations", etc. I urge everyone to familiarise themselves with the CIC regulations, starting with OB 407-D, rather than wasting your time spooking each other, with rumours of rumours, or conflicting statements made by well-intentioned, yet uninformed call centre representatives.

Incidentally, for those of those on the "cusp", you may want to consider that a "cushion" of 5 days, or a "mattress" of 5 years, is statutorily the same. In fact, an errant citizenship officer might send an RQ request to the latter because he/she found an extended delay to file an application to be suspicious, since one meets the qualification of physical presence at 1,095 days. An attempt to apply logic, in lieu of knowledge of statutes, rules and regulations would be highly counterproductive!

Our case files were sent to the "non-routine" perpetual stack, because of a truthful, innocuous response made to a Nexus officer that we had made day trips to the United States. Per official CIC instructions, day trips are not to be reported on the CIT0002, nor on the Residence Calculator.

Remember, "Bureaucracy is as bureaucracy does. When in doubt, follow the rules! Otherwise, pray that your citizenship officer will follow the rules, as well, because even if he/she disobeys the rules, he/she will be safe from any repercussions for 3 to 4 years, when the case file is finally reviewed, and it is reclassified as "routine"!
we have passed that argument long time ago.You (or the law) can say whatever you wish.It depends on how we perceive things and to me it is not a privilege.There is nobody privileged in this country.Everyone has something somebody does not have.

I can think whatever I want and live with those thoughts.Neither you or your government can impose anything on me or other people.

When the time comes,your government will grant citizenship to all of law-abiding PRs.Period
Kind regards

(somebody gotta be wiser than us to be considered privileged,obviouslythere is no wise acts within the parliament)

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
bkara said:
we have passed that argument long time ago.You (or the law) can say whatever you wish.It depends on how we perceive things and to me it is not a privilege.There is nobody privileged in this country.Everyone has something somebody does not have.

I can think whatever I want and live with those thoughts.Neither you or your government can impose anything on me or other people.

When the time comes,your government will grant citizenship to all of law-abiding PRs.Period
Kind regards

(somebody gotta be wiser than us to be considered privileged,obviouslythere is no wise acts within the parliament)
You're contradicting from one sentence to next; you say that "There is nobody privileged in this country" and then "Everyone has something somebody does not have" which is a definition of privileged.
If you only want that passport to move south to US, why didnt immigrate to USA in the first place?

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
Hornets nest.

What best anybody can do is to understand the law and foĺlow it. I agree with Prospective Canuck's views.

era1521 said:
You're contradicting from one sentence to next; you say that "There is nobody privileged in this country" and then "Everyone has something somebody does not have" which is a definition of privileged.
If you only want that passport to move south to US, why didnt immigrate to USA in the first place?

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
era1521 said:
He would of done that, if he could... You clearly don't know how hard it is to get a US green card. I've seen many just on this forum, who works in the US on a H1B, waited years without getting a GC, and now have no choice but to apply for Canada PR...

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
ZingyDNA said:
He would of done that, if he could... You clearly don't know how hard it is to get a US green card. I've seen many just on this forum, who works in the US on a H1B, waited years without getting a GC, and now have no choice but to apply for Canada PR...
In other words, using Canada as a stepping stone to US.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
screech339 said:
In other words, using Canada as a stepping stone to US.
LOL then they are doing it backwards. They are using Canada as a backup..

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
ZingyDNA said:
LOL then they are doing it backwards. They are using Canada as a backup..
As you mentioned, it is quite difficult to immigrate to US for work, especially getting GC, for a person who doesn't hold a Canadian citizenship. So they are not using Canada as a backup, they are using Canada to get into US.

I happened to know a few naturalized Canadians working in US on green card.

BlueNeo

Apr 13, 2015
Hi all,

Does anybody know whether time spent as tourist can be taken into account when applying for citizenship?

Thanks in advance.

Martin29

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
BlueNeo said:
Hi all,

Does anybody know whether time spent as tourist can be taken into account when applying for citizenship?

Thanks in advance.
I think in old rule you will get 1/2 day for 1 day stay as visitor(in last 4 years).Only exception is time spent serving a sentence in Canada.

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
What are the chances that bill C-24 won't take effect until after October 2015 ? am I being too optimistic ?

Martin29

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
MasterGeek said:
What are the chances that bill C-24 won't take effect until after October 2015 ? am I being too optimistic ?
I will be eligible by June 26.But I don't think I will make it.

Mar 13, 2015
MasterGeek said:

In response to your query, please review the posts made by dpenabill, who has written extensively about this very subject.

I would say that optimism is salutary, but only within the realm of reality.

If you will excuse the quote, the great native-born American citizen, Mark Twain once quipped:

“The man who is a pessimist before forty-eight knows too much; if he is an optimist after it he knows too little”

I am not asking your age, mind you!

Good luck!

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Martin29 said:
I will be eligible by June 26.But I don't think I will make it.
What is the reason for your pessimism that you not gonna make it? You know that before the effective date everybody will be under the old rules.

Since there is only mystery and different speculations about the expected date, everyone has a chance until they finally publish the official cut off date.

Martin29

Star Member
Feb 24, 2015
MUFC said:
What is the reason for your pessimism that you not gonna make it? You know that before the effective date everybody will be under the old rules.

Since there is only mystery and different speculations about the expected date, everyone has a chance until they finally publish the official cut off date.
I have a feeling that effective date will be 19th June.Thats why pessimism.

Yes it true as long as they don't announce officially we all have a chance.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I definitely exclude that date, because if it was the cut off date one year ago the word "Approximately" would not have been used in the official statement and it would be published as official cut off date long time ago.

But as we all know, there is nothing official to confirm any date.