+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

education

glik

Nov 26, 2008
A two-year university degree at the Bachelor's level AND at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study 20 points
A two-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship AND at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study 20 points
A three-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship AND at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study 22 points
Two or more university degrees at the Bachelor's level AND at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study 22 points

I have a 4 yr Bachelor's degree majoring in Psychology. I took a 1 yr post graduate certificate program that requires a 3-4 yr BA/BS or a 2-3 yr diploma/certificate here in Toronto. I have a total of 16 yrs education (7 yrs elementary,4 yrs secondary, 4 yrs Bachelor's degree and 1 yr post grad not Master's), so how many points do I get for education?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

glik said:
A two-year university degree at the Bachelor's level AND at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study 20 points
A two-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship AND at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study 20 points
A three-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship AND at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study 22 points
Two or more university degrees at the Bachelor's level AND at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study 22 points

I have a 4 yr Bachelor's degree majoring in Psychology. I took a 1 yr post graduate certificate program that requires a 3-4 yr BA/BS or a 2-3 yr diploma/certificate here in Toronto. I have a total of 16 yrs education (7 yrs elementary,4 yrs secondary, 4 yrs Bachelor's degree and 1 yr post grad not Master's), so how many points do I get for education?
20 for bachelors.

PMM

glik

Nov 26, 2008
Note: Medical doctor degrees are generally first-level university credentials, in the same way that a
Bachelor of Law or a Bachelor of Science in Pharmacology is a first level, albeit “professional”
degree and should be awarded 20 points. If it is a second-level degree and if, for example, it
belongs to a Faculty of Graduate Studies, 25 points may be awarded. If a bachelor’s credential is a prerequisite to the credential, but the credential itself is still considered a first-level degree, then 22 points would be appropriate.It is important to refer to how the local authority responsible for educational institutions recognizes the credential: i.e., as a first-level or second-level or higher university credential.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op06e.pdf

so this means 22 points?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

zaidkhalid said:
Yes I think you qualify for 22 points
Nope, the OP has 1 university degree at the bachelor level. S/he took a 1 year post grad course that didn't result in a further degree, so how do you figure he gets 22 points? It wasn't a three-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study.

PMM

glik

Nov 26, 2008
If a bachelor's credential is a prerequisite to the credential, but the credential itself is still considered a first-level degree, then 22 points would be appropriate.
it doesnt say that it needs to be another degree.......

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

glik said:
If a bachelor's credential is a prerequisite to the credential, but the credential itself is still considered a first-level degree, then 22 points would be appropriate.
it doesnt say that it needs to be another degree.......
You really should read the whole section

You have two or more university degrees at the bachelor’s level and at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study. 22 points
You have a three-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study. 22 points
You have a university degree of two years or more at the bachelor’s level and at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study. 20 points

The OP didn't get a diploma, a trade certificate, s/he got a degree.
PMM

glik

Nov 26, 2008
You have two or more university degrees at the bachelor's level and at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study. 22 points
You have a three-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study. 22 points
You have a university degree of two years or more at the bachelor's level and at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study. 20 points

The OP didn't get a diploma, a trade certificate, s/he got a degree.
PMM

she is a holder of a 4 year BS degree AND a 1 yr post graduate certificate with a total of 16 years of education. the post grad REQUIRED a bachelors degree

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op06e.pdf page 19 note says that
If a bachelor’s credential is a prerequisite to the credential, but the credential itself is still considered a first-level degree, then 22 points would be appropriate.
bachelor's degree / university diploma is first level degree. Master's is second level and PhD/Doctorate is third level.
Postgraduate courses are those leading to higher degrees and diplomas and certificates (including postgraduate certificates of education and professional qualifications), which usually require a first degree as an entry qualification.

http://www.teamformultimedia.com/teamformultimedia.at/_iu_write/cms/download-manager/index.php?action=downloadfile&user=mba&browser_type=ie&filename=Chart.pdf