+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Education: Will my Degree be honoured?

NorthernTrek

Jul 31, 2007
Hello
I'm an American considering a move to Canada. I currently have an associates degree but would like to earn a bachelors or masters degree in business. I've been considering an online degree program so I can continue working as I study. The university I'm interested in is regionally accredited in the US. The online degree program I am considering can be completed in as little as 12 months if the student digs in and works hard (but the student must have an associates degree to use this option).

After reading through the cic website I have a couple of questions.

1. Do regionally accredited(US) degrees have value in Canada?

2. On the skilled worker point system many of the bachelors degree choices must be 2 years degrees. In case I go the skilled worker route will immigration look at my degree and say its useless because I earned it in under 2 years?

Thank you for your time.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
1. Yes.
2. This is how the visa officer will assess your education:
* 20 pts - Two year post-secondary educational credential, other than a university educational credential, and at least 14 years of completed full-time or full-time equivalent studies.
* 20 pts - A university educational credential of two years or more at the bachelor’s level, and at least 14 years of completed full-time or full-time equivalent studies
* 22 pts - Three year post-secondary educational credential, other than a university educational credential, and at least 15 years of completed full-time or full-time equivalent studies
* 22 pts - Two or more university educational credentials at the bachelor’s level and at least 15 years of completed full-time or full-time equivalent studies

Since your bachelor's program requires the AA first, it seems it should be equated to at least a 3 year program. Include with your support documents anything that substantiates the school's program requirements, etc. If you're worried about it, you could also include a letter from the school.