+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Education of teens in Canada

Dewdrops1502

Star Member
Jan 9, 2019
Saw your post
I am migrating to canada with my daughter in may 2018 after she finishes grade 10 from india
What subjects are taught in class11.
In india students choose stream in class 11.
How is it in canada
Hi!

I hope you've moved and settled in Canada by now and would be in a position to help me out. We intend to move to Canada once my son finishes his 10th (CBSE) in 2020.
Wanted to know:
1. How different is the education scenario there?
2. Are there adjustment issues for kids moving to school in grade 11? (it being quite a senior class yet still having immature kids to deal with unlike in college)
3. Should I move him to Canada after grade 10th or wait for him to complete 12th too from India? (will have to work out a solution if that's more advisable)

Any inputs from anyone are most welcome.
TIA

ShyGirl15

Nov 4, 2019
Hi, Im a 15 year old teenager studying in an ICSE school in India and I am in grade 10. Since my board gives me flexibility of choosing subjects i have skipped math and science, and in replacement chose Economics and business studies.
Due to certain reasons my family has decided to move to a city in Ontario. Is it possible for me to study there despite not taking science and math? I do know basic math. Is there anything i would have to do or learn before moving? I am not sure if i will be finishing my board exam and moving or will move within these 2-4 months. Please help me.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, Im a 15 year old teenager studying in an ICSE school in India and I am in grade 10. Since my board gives me flexibility of choosing subjects i have skipped math and science, and in replacement chose Economics and business studies.
Due to certain reasons my family has decided to move to a city in Ontario. Is it possible for me to study there despite not taking science and math? I do know basic math. Is there anything i would have to do or learn before moving? I am not sure if i will be finishing my board exam and moving or will move within these 2-4 months. Please help me.
Yes I believe you do have to take math and/or science. It does vary between schools and regions. You will need math to enter a business post secondary program.

ShyGirl15

Nov 4, 2019
Yes I believe you do have to take math and/or science. It does vary between schools and regions. You will need math to enter a business post secondary program.
woah okay...... i lost in touch with math and science last year. havent even seen the book in the past one and a half year

Preeti Semwal

Nov 8, 2019
Hi All

I have two boys. We will move to Canada in June 2020. Elder one will be in class X the time we move on PR to Vancouver and younger one in class VI.
Please help me get clear on these concerns-
1. Will my son get admission in class X or could he be denied admission?
2. Where can I get details for preparation that my kids need to do for entrance exam, if any?
3. Is there some way they can prepare while here in India?
4. Any other relevant point that we need to know beforehand.
Please PM me on preetysemwal@gmail.com
Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All

I have two boys. We will move to Canada in June 2020. Elder one will be in class X the time we move on PR to Vancouver and younger one in class VI.
2. Where can I get details for preparation that my kids need to do for entrance exam, if any?
Thanks
You need to visit the school board's website if you intend to enrol your kids for schooling in the City of Vancouver:

https://www.vsb.bc.ca/School/School-Registration/Pages/Default.aspx

visatest

May 24, 2016
London Ontario Canada
Hi All

Thanks
1. Your son can not be denied admission.
2. Unless the School Board have a few quizes he must do there are no entrance exams.
3. You could look at the main BC Teaching Curricula and study what they must study. https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca/curriculum.
4. None really that I know of. I am an Ontario teacher commenting on BC Curriculum, but I know of no surprises.
SORRY: I don't do PM comments or work; the forum here is enough work. No offence and thanks for the offer.

Last edited:

Jpsingh77

Star Member
Mar 19, 2018
1. Your son can not be denied admission.
2. Unless the School Board have a few quizes he must do there are no entrance exams.
3. You could look at the main BC Teaching Curricula and study what they must study. https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca/curriculum.
4. None really that I know of. I am an Ontario teacher commenting on BC Curriculum, but I know of no surprises.
SORRY: I don't do PM comments or work; the forum here is enough work. No offence and thanks for the offer.
Hi Visatest,

We are planning to move to Ontario early next year with our son who is presently in 8th standard in India.
I am looking for some info regarding the 9th standard admissions and curriculum, and was hoping if you could kindly point us to some info/links, etc regarding the same.

Many thanks in advance.

visatest

May 24, 2016
London Ontario Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Visatest,

We are planning to move to Ontario early next year with our son who is presently in 8th standard in India.
I am looking for some info regarding the 9th standard admissions and curriculum, and was hoping if you could kindly point us to some info/links, etc regarding the same.

Many thanks in advance.
No admission exams given your son’s English and schooling background. You basically have to pick your desired school district and they will guide you. Assume the French districts are out so English or English Catholic schools districts are your options. Where you live will be you local school catchment area.

Kartiga

Jan 8, 2020
My children are in 9and 6th grades in India. We are planning to move to Canada in the month of February before they attend their final exams. Will they be able to continue their same grades in Canada or will be degraded.

Kartiga

Jan 8, 2020
If they are put in the same grade, will it effect their final evaluation grade by end of the year.