+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Education of teens in Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
I also have a few doubts. My son is currently in grade 5 in India. I am planning to move to Toronto in April/May.
My query is:
Will he be able to enroll in the school in Toronto that late in the academic session or will they make us wait till September to join the new academic year. I am assuming that he is able to join in May - he will join in Grade 5 and move to Grade 6 in September.
But if they make us wait till September then he will again repeat repeat the entire grade. Am I right?
Yes your child can join once you have proof of your address like a copy of a lease. He will continue in grade 5.

Reactions: SK2779

avoodi

Jul 26, 2018
Hi,
I am from India.I have two children.The elder is in 8th grade and younger in 6th grade.
When I travel to Canada , the elder will be in 9th grade.
Had few questions :

1) How difficult it would be for my elder son to cope up in school in the 9th grade as he will suddenly see a big change in education system.

2)How important is the 10th grade in Canada ?is it career decisive ?

3)Where can i get the syllabus and books(if possible) ,if I want to see the difference and understand if my son will be able to sustain ..

I am very worried and confused .I would request if any other family from India has faced similar situation and can guide me ...
hi,

wondering how did it go with your migration (with respect to kids school admission, they liking the school , getting adjusted etc.)
I am probably in similar boat right now as you were when you posted this msg hence asking :)

let me know
thanks

avoodi

Jul 26, 2018
My kids will also appear for test next month..They have not landed yet for settling.
age criteria is little different , how in India we count child cut of date is 1 April (CBSE I know..) same there cut of date is till December..child born from Jan till Dec will go in same class. I am pasting informative post by Qorax here.

Canadian Schooling system

"As an immigrating parent, understanding Canada's school system is of fundamental importance -- especially due to the gradation structure, age considerations & varieties available. If you're coming from the UK, it's very different and can be a confusing and often misunderstood.

OVERVIEW

Sans the Pvt Schools - Education in Canada is publicly funded and overseen by federal, provincial, and local governments. Which means, our children get to be educated for free. [I repeat]Schooling is provided without charge for all residents of Canada - they have a right to education.

Schools in Canada are generally divided into Elementary education, followed by Secondary or "High School". Within the provinces under the ministry of education, there are "District School Boards" administering the educational programs. These school boards would follow a common curriculum set up by the province the board resides in. Only Alberta allows public charter schools, which are independent of any district board. Instead, they each have their own board, which reports directly to the province.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t72241.0.html
This is an amazing informative post ... thanks..

Confusedsouls

Jul 2, 2018
Hi Ummi,

I read your post re. teen education. I will be moving to Canada by 2015 if God willing. My concern is what to do with kids after school hours if both parents work? how to take care of them? Also, till what grade the education is free?

what are school timings.

thanks
I am interested in finding an answer for this. After school hours, what do kindergarten kids do. I believe older kids may have extra curricular activities that will keep them engaged till parents return home after work. How about younger ones that need care and attention.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am interested in finding an answer for this. After school hours, what do kindergarten kids do. I believe older kids may have extra curricular activities that will keep them engaged till parents return home after work. How about younger ones that need care and attention.
You need to pay someone to take care of them. After school programs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is there something like student care - (paid) extended schooling hours? Or will that be outside of school and I also need to arrange for transportation from school?
Depends on the school. Most schools do have some paid after school and before school care but there are limited spaces. School hours also vary by school.

Aprajita1075

Sep 9, 2018
Hi

My name is Aprajita and shall be migrating to Toronto in April 2019.

My question is regarding my ward who is studying ICSE board in India and will be completing 9th standard in Mar 2019. What standard will he be eligible in Canada ? His date of birth is May 2004.

I appreciate your soonest response.

Thank You
Aprajita

pavak

Dec 13, 2018
Hi,I would be shifting to Winnipeg by jan 2020,my children will be in grade 11th and grade 8th,wanted to enquire if they would have to appear for any assesment ?Would they get admission in grade 12th and 9th?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,I would be shifting to Winnipeg by jan 2020,my children will be in grade 11th and grade 8th,wanted to enquire if they would have to appear for any assesment ?Would they get admission in grade 12th and 9th?
It is up to the individual school board to determine placement. They usually won't discuss it until you arrive.

pavak

Dec 13, 2018
I am interested to know the process by how my son will be admiitted to Gr 11 as he has written his CBSE Gr 10 exams.How difficult or esy is it to get admission in Canada?Thanks in advance

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am interested to know the process by how my son will be admiitted to Gr 11 as he has written his CBSE Gr 10 exams.How difficult or esy is it to get admission in Canada?Thanks in advance
Each province does things differently plus there are variations between school boards. The school will guide you when you register.