+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Education history for Express Entry

qaisahmed

Sep 5, 2019
I am fairly sure that in most cases you just need to provide the highest degree. If your highest degree is not from Canada (as mine was) you need to do an ECA, and sometimes they ask to also verify your bachelor degree (I wasn't, just did ECA for my Singapore masters).

I would not worry too much about changing things from the EE profile. I made several changes - including taking out work experience. Unless your score falls below the threshold for invitation (which should not be the case for you), you will be fine
Also did you mention those changes in an LOE?

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hello Taran,
Just wanted to clarify. After ITA, in the education part, you put only the diploma you were getting points for ? And do you know if we are not claiming points for education of spouse if it is ok to not put anything there ? Thanks for your time !
Although you want to claim points for a specific degree still you have to upload all your education degrees. Same for spouse.
Its for ECA that you send them the highest degree. To IRCC you had to show your whole education till date.
If you are not claiming points for spouse ECA is not needed but still you need to add education crendentials.

aamool

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
07-02-2019
Med's Done....
22-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2019
LANDED..........
02-10-2019
Thanks man. So I have masters from Canada and if I mention my bachelors in education section along with it and upload simply the degrees and transcript, will they ask for an ECA?
It was to avoid this that I only put in my masters. Actually, I believe I also did not have a proper transcript for my bachelor's degree (and just the thought of dealing with my alma mater remotely made my head spin :) ).

aamool

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
07-02-2019
Med's Done....
22-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2019
LANDED..........
02-10-2019
Also did you mention those changes in an LOE?
I did not address the change in education, though I did mention the removal of experience (I took out two jobs and only left one in).

aamool

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
07-02-2019
Med's Done....
22-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2019
LANDED..........
02-10-2019
Although you want to claim points for a specific degree still you have to upload all your education degrees. Same for spouse.
Its for ECA that you send them the highest degree. To IRCC you had to show your whole education till date.
If you are not claiming points for spouse ECA is not needed but still you need to add education crendentials.
In general I am of the view that you should make life as simple as possible for the immigration officer. I did not put my bachelor's degree information in education history - precisely because I felt putting partial information (no ECA nor a decent transcript) would be more detrimental than discarding it. Another point that I considered was that my bachelor's was more than 10 years in my past and did not show up in my personal history - so it would not be obvious in a cross check.

Also, for my spouse, I followed the same principle - just kept her Master's and removed her previous degrees. Being of a similar vintage, her bachelor studies were also completed well before the 10 year personal history.

@qaisahmed - I would say do what you deem best. People (including me) have anecdotal evidence of what worked - but whether they did the right thing or got lucky is up for debate :)

You are safe from a points perspective - so at the most you may face a bit of delay. Which in the scheme of things with IRCC is a possibility even if you have a perfect application :(

Good luck!

Sarah1980

Apr 15, 2019
In general I am of the view that you should make life as simple as possible for the immigration officer. I did not put my bachelor's degree information in education history - precisely because I felt putting partial information (no ECA nor a decent transcript) would be more detrimental than discarding it. Another point that I considered was that my bachelor's was more than 10 years in my past and did not show up in my personal history - so it would not be obvious in a cross check.

Also, for my spouse, I followed the same principle - just kept her Master's and removed her previous degrees. Being of a similar vintage, her bachelor studies were also completed well before the 10 year personal history.

@qaisahmed - I would say do what you deem best. People (including me) have anecdotal evidence of what worked - but whether they did the right thing or got lucky is up for debate :)

You are safe from a points perspective - so at the most you may face a bit of delay. Which in the scheme of things with IRCC is a possibility even if you have a perfect application :(

Good luck!
Thanks aamool,

I am in same situation as yourself, we have some diplomas that will not appear in personal history and neither in education history if we do not put them there. I feel that if I explain this in a LOE it should be fine. Yes we do have other diplomas but we are not getting points for them (we mentioned them in previous applications though a long time ago so not sure if they have a trace of it or not and it is logical that if you have a Master you probably had a bachelor before).

aamool

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
07-02-2019
Med's Done....
22-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2019
LANDED..........
02-10-2019
Thanks man. So I have masters from Canada and if I mention my bachelors in education section along with it and upload simply the degrees and transcript, will they ask for an ECA?
I believe there will be a placeholder for each qualification in the education section. You could just upload the degree/transcript for your bachelor's, but my guy feeling is that it opens the door for more confusion.

DeepJ027

Dec 26, 2023
Hi

Express Entry profile creation has an education question: Complete/full academic years. I did my master's here in Canada and the program length specifies 16 months without scheduled breaks, but the option does not allow me to put 2-digit numbers(decimal). should I go with 1 as points are not getting changed with either 1 or 2 ? any suggestions are greatly appreciated. More clarification I did 12 months i.e. 3 terms full time and last one part time 4 months.

Thanks

Anna Shmykova

Dec 27, 2023
Hi everybody, what assessment do I need to choose for EE: academic transcript or degree certificate in WES, what is difference?

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
Hi everybody, what assessment do I need to choose for EE: academic transcript or degree certificate in WES, what is difference?
I’m assuming you are talking about Education - you upload your degree certificate that is evaluated by WES (not WES evaluation) as you would have added WES reference number as part of your EE profile. IRCC check with WES themselves.

Jan 24, 2024
Hey did you figure out what to put in did you put fulltime study or part time

Hi

Express Entry profile creation has an education question: Complete/full academic years. I did my master's here in Canada and the program length specifies 16 months without scheduled breaks, but the option does not allow me to put 2-digit numbers(decimal). should I go with 1 as points are not getting changed with either 1 or 2 ? any suggestions are greatly appreciated. More clarification I did 12 months i.e. 3 terms full time and last one part time 4 months.

Thanks