Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
So, my wife if an American living in Canada as a Permanent Reaident.

Can someone educate me on what needs to be done to file an American tax return from Canada? What is needed? What do I do?

Do we need her W2 from the United States?

Any info at all is greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017

Can someone educate me on what needs to be done to file an American tax return from Canada? What is needed? What do I do?

Any info at all is greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much
It does not matter where your wife lives. The US citizen has to file income taxes on worldwide income (including Canadian income) forever... By the way if she is going to file US Married Filing Jointly to possible reduce US tax obligations she will have to include your Canadian income as well.

https://www.efile.com/married-filing-jointly-tax-filing-status/

After that Canadian taxation comes... by April 30th.

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
It does not matter where your wife lives. The US citizen has to file income taxes on worldwide income (including Canadian income) forever... By the way if she is going to file US Married Filing Jointly to possible reduce US tax obligations she will have to include your Canadian income as well.

https://www.efile.com/married-filing-jointly-tax-filing-status/

After that Canadian taxation comes... by April 30th.
That really has nothing to do with the question I asked, but thanks for the info anyways!

Totoro1661

Star Member
Feb 11, 2019

Thank you very much
Hi Jeff,

What needs to be filed: if she is a US citizen, she needs to file an annual tax return (Form 1040) as a minimum requirement. Depending on her facts, she might need to file other forms as well.

Form W-2: only applies if she earned US employment income. If she didn't work in the US at all during 2018, then she shouldn't have this form. If she did work in the US, then she needs to obtain this form.

The cheapest way to find out is by having a look at the IRS website: https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/do-i-need-to-file-a-tax-return

I'm a US tax accountant in Canada, so feel free to let me know what I can help. If she lives in Vancouver, perhaps a call will be the best way to figure out her situation.

Best

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
Hi Jeff,

What needs to be filed: if she is a US citizen, she needs to file an annual tax return (Form 1040) as a minimum requirement. Depending on her facts, she might need to file other forms as well.

Form W-2: only applies if she earned US employment income. If she didn't work in the US at all during 2018, then she shouldn't have this form. If she did work in the US, then she needs to obtain this form.

The cheapest way to find out is by having a look at the IRS website: https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/do-i-need-to-file-a-tax-return

I'm a US tax accountant in Canada, so feel free to let me know what I can help. If she lives in Vancouver, perhaps a call will be the best way to figure out her situation.

Best
Thanks for the response! We are in Kingston Ontario. We made a few phone calls and found someone who specializes in exactly this here in town!

Thank you!

Reactions: Totoro1661

seamarine

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
Thanks for the response! We are in Kingston Ontario. We made a few phone calls and found someone who specializes in exactly this here in town!

Thank you!
Hi

Would you mind sharing the details of the accountant as I am trying to find one in Ontario. Thanks