+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ECA required documents for masters degree through WES

nambaliya

Star Member
Aug 13, 2018
Hello friends,

I have created a profile in WES Canada. I am an Indian national currently living in India. I have a Masters degree from UK university and a Bachelors degree from Gujarat university India.

As per WES website (required documents section) I only need my masters to be evaluated. However, I read in the forums that WES is partial about Indians and they will ask for bachelors degree as well to be evaluated.

To what extent is this true? I understand that it doesn't hurt if we send both degrees to be evaluated. But getting transcripts from Gujarat university is a lengthy process as per many users and I do not want to go through it. Currently I reside in Pune and it is not possible to visit ahmedabad just to get transcripts (Work commitments).

Additionally, my masters' university (Uni of Leicester) is very prompt in sending required documents directly to WES Canada.

I want your views on the same. Should I go ahead with only masters evaluation or I should send bachelors degree as well. Even if I get my masters evaluated as equivalent to Canadian masters, will visa people ask me for my bachelors ECA?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
nambaliya

Vaibhav22

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
Brisbane, New Delhi, Brampton
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa, Sydeny, New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-04-2018
Doc's Request.
10-05-2019
AOR Received.
05-07-18
Med's Request
30-05-2019
Med's Done....
01-06-2019
Passport Req..
07-06-2019
VISA ISSUED...
24-06-2019
LANDED..........
12-07-2019
Hi Nambaliya,

Even I went through the same confusion 5 months ago, I live in Australia and had done my masters in Griffith Uni Gold Coast and bachelors from Delhi University, I had to get both the degrees assessed as my agent advised me that the Canadian Govt mostly asks for both grad and post grad degrees assessed for Indians. So I guess go through the hassle now instead leaving it to chance and then getting delayed later at the time of submission of required documents!!

Moreover, it takes 6 to 8 weeks for assessment as in my case for both degrees at one go, if you do them separately you pay twice and takes more time. Hence, not at all a logical option!!

Hope it Helps!!

Good Luck:)
Vaibhav

viki1805

Jun 13, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
I only need my masters to be evaluated. However, I read in the forums that WES is partial about Indians and they will ask for a bachelors degree as well to be evaluated.
That is so not true. This is probably a statement made by a couple of people who's degrees were not evaluated the way they wish it were, as they probably got it from an unrecognized institution in most cases.
The only reason you would actually need to submit your bachelors too would be in the case that your masters were not evaluated as masters by WES and hence you're unable to claim maximum points in the education section.
However, if you're sure that your university (masters) is a recognized one feel free to send them just your masters as once you receive a masters evaluation it wouldn't matter whether you sent them just the masters or in combination with bachelors, your points would be the same.

https://www.wes.org/ca/wes-tools/ - you can use the degree equivalency tool to verify for yourself. I tried it for the University of Leicester and yes it is recognized and your degree will be evaluated as masters. So if it is a hassle to get your undergrad transcripts, you could just go ahead and submit your master's transcripts and you will be fine.

Last edited:

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
If you can send both do it. If your university is listed on WES then no need to worry much about it. As the above posters said, not all diplomas are created equal, some get recognized some don't and there are multiple factors included in it besides country of university. In other words, just because you're from India doesn't mean it won't be judged appropriately. Remember that usually people post the negative side of things on forums, you will rarely see people just posting to brag their masters was evaluated as such.

nrsinquest

Star Member
Jun 23, 2018
Hello friends,

I have created a profile in WES Canada. I am an Indian national currently living in India. I have a Masters degree from UK university and a Bachelors degree from Gujarat university India.

As per WES website (required documents section) I only need my masters to be evaluated. However, I read in the forums that WES is partial about Indians and they will ask for bachelors degree as well to be evaluated.

To what extent is this true? I understand that it doesn't hurt if we send both degrees to be evaluated. But getting transcripts from Gujarat university is a lengthy process as per many users and I do not want to go through it. Currently I reside in Pune and it is not possible to visit ahmedabad just to get transcripts (Work commitments).

Additionally, my masters' university (Uni of Leicester) is very prompt in sending required documents directly to WES Canada.

I want your views on the same. Should I go ahead with only masters evaluation or I should send bachelors degree as well. Even if I get my masters evaluated as equivalent to Canadian masters, will visa people ask me for my bachelors ECA?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
nambaliya
So what did you send for the Bachelors from Gujarat University? I am in a similar situation. Can you guide?

nambaliya

Star Member
Aug 13, 2018
So what did you send for the Bachelors from Gujarat University? I am in a similar situation. Can you guide?
I have sent my masters transcripts only. Nothing for bachelors degree. I am still waiting for the ECA. The status says "Evaluation in progress". Will keep you updated.

RamzC

Oct 8, 2018
Hi Nambaliya,
I have also done MSc. from the UK, Cranfield University. I also want its evaluation now. So please let me know that I have to request a new transcript for my UK university or old one will serve the function which I received during my Graduation ceremony. If yes please explain me the procedure for requesting the same from the UK university. Seeking assistance from you on an urgent basis.

Thanks
Raman

nambaliya

Star Member
Aug 13, 2018
Hi Nambaliya,
I have also done MSc. from the UK, Cranfield University. I also want its evaluation now. So please let me know that I have to request a new transcript for my UK university or old one will serve the function which I received during my Graduation ceremony. If yes please explain me the procedure for requesting the same from the UK university. Seeking assistance from you on an urgent basis.

Thanks
Raman
Old transcripts are fine as long as it is sent by your university to WES directly in a sealed envelope.

In my case I emailed my uni's student facilitation center and asked them the procedure. They asked my to send me scanned copies of my transcript and degree certificate which I received after my graduation back in 2009. They said they will validate and send them directly to WES canada without any charge and they did.

Now my evaluation is in progress at WES. Hope this helps.

nambaliya

Star Member
Aug 13, 2018
Received my WES evalutaion. Submitted only MSc transcripts and degree certificate (Sent directly by my Uni to WES). Report says "Canadian Equivalency: Master's degree".

So bachelors degree evaluation is not required for some masters degrees. Please check on WES for documents required before applying.

Hope this helps.

mydreams2016

Jan 14, 2016
Hi Nambaliya,

Congratulations!!!

I am applying for CANADA PR and I also have to do my ECA through WES.

Same as yours, I have done my Masters from University of Leicester, UK. I dont know the procedure to get transcript from Uni. I read on their website that we can buy Full academic transcript form Shop any they charge 20 Pound plus courier charges for that right? But how much do they charge for sending out details to WES?

I have sent mail to Student Service Centre regarding sending information about sending transcipt to WES, but I have not got any reply yet.

can you please solve my queries regarding this?

1. Do uni. send full transcript to WES for CANADA immigration in WES requested format?

2. What are the charges we have to pay to uni. to send transcript to WES?

3. How many days or weeks it takes by uni?

4. What is the procedure to apply for this?

5. Should I also verify only master certificates to WES ? As you said bachelors is not required.

Waiting for your reply.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Ahmed5123

Sep 14, 2018
i wanted to know a few things regarding wes, firstly which is a better option for reports that is by standard canadian mail or UPS?

another thing there is field marked as non mandatory but asks for our Major, what should we specify in it?? as in science or arts or human resources?

Ahmed5123

Sep 14, 2018
Hi Nambaliya,

Congratulations!!!

Same as yours, I have done my Masters from University of Leicester, UK. I dont know the procedure to get transcript from Uni. I read on their website that we can buy Full academic transcript form Shop any they charge 20 Pound plus courier charges for that right? But how much do they charge for sending out details to WES?

I have sent mail to Student Service Centre regarding sending information about sending transcipt to WES, but I have not got any reply yet.

1. Do uni. send full transcript to WES for CANADA immigration in WES requested format?

5. Should I also verify only master certificates to WES ? As you said bachelors is not required.

Waiting for your reply.

Thanks in advance.

please go visit the WES website you will find most of your answers there!! and authentic ones too

nambaliya

Star Member
Aug 13, 2018
Hi Nambaliya,

Congratulations!!!

Waiting for your reply.

Thanks in advance.
Here are my details and what I did to get ECA:

Degree - MSc in Embedded Systems and Control Engineering. For MSc, WES do not need bachelors degree/transcripts.

I sent an email to studentservices@le.ac.uk and asked if they can verify my transcripts and send it to me. I got reply within 24 hours saying I need to scan (In colour) my Degree Certificate and Transcript (Which I got after passing MSc) and send both to them via e-mail.

I sent them both. They said they will verify them and send them directly to WES Canada.

Lady on the other side has the WES address memorized as She sends documents to WES everyday.

Charges - None

Time taken for verified transcript (and degree certificate) to WES from University of Leicester - roughly 10 days.

Time taken by WES to finish with ECA - 1 month after receiving all documents.

Hope this helps.
nambaliya

mydreams2016

Jan 14, 2016
Here are my details and what I did to get ECA:

Degree - MSc in Embedded Systems and Control Engineering. For MSc, WES do not need bachelors degree/transcripts.

I sent an email to studentservices@le.ac.uk and asked if they can verify my transcripts and send it to me. I got reply within 24 hours saying I need to scan (In colour) my Degree Certificate and Transcript (Which I got after passing MSc) and send both to them via e-mail.

I sent them both. They said they will verify them and send them directly to WES Canada.

Lady on the other side has the WES address memorized as She sends documents to WES everyday.

Charges - None

Time taken for verified transcript (and degree certificate) to WES from University of Leicester - roughly 10 days.

Time taken by WES to finish with ECA - 1 month after receiving all documents.

Hope this helps.
nambaliya

Thank you so much nambaliya,

You solved all my queries :)
You got reply within 24 hours that is great.

You didn't give them your WES reference number?
I thought that is compulsory!!!

I have also sent mail to studentservices in last week but have not received any response yet.
May be because of Christmas holidays?
I hope i get reply soon

Thanks again pal.