+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ECA for BS earned through professional experience in Mexico

arodri

Jun 18, 2018
Hi all,

I got a BS in Software Engineering from Secretaria de Educacion Publica (SEP) in Mexico, through an official program (Agreement 286) that assesses knowledge acquired by professional experience in the field. As a result, I got my Bachelor Degree just as regular students do after graduating.

I wonder if this would qualify for an ECA (with WES) even though there's no University (other than the SEP, which is the federal authority on top of universities) and that there were no "official years of study" due the nature of my qualification.

Has someone done something similar already?

arodri

Jun 18, 2018
For those curious, I did get an ECA from WES equivalent to a 4 years Bachelor's Degree.

They doubted, but after I explained my situation in detail (and provided proof) they moved forward with it.

technorocco

Dec 23, 2019
Hi all,

I got a BS in Software Engineering from Secretaria de Educacion Publica (SEP) in Mexico, through an official program (Agreement 286) that assesses knowledge acquired by professional experience in the field. As a result, I got my Bachelor Degree just as regular students do after graduating.

I wonder if this would qualify for an ECA (with WES) even though there's no University (other than the SEP, which is the federal authority on top of universities) and that there were no "official years of study" due the nature of my qualification.

Has someone done something similar already?
That looks very complicated because WES thinks the government is a separated entity but I know what are you talking about and also SEP is offering bachelor and master degrees via UNAD.

You need to call them and let them know that you got that degree from the Department of Education in Mexico and that they are having this special program. I don't know if they give you some sort of degree certificate with grades in some classes. If they only issued a "titulo" you are still missing the certificate :( and WES requires that certificate to validate your studies.

Call them.

Oct 2, 2020
For those curious, I did get an ECA from WES equivalent to a 4 years Bachelor's Degree.

They doubted, but after I explained my situation in detail (and provided proof) they moved forward with it.
I'm in the exact situation,how do you bypass the step to send the documents directly since there is no University behind our degrees?

arodri

Jun 18, 2018
Once I got them in a sealed envelope, I send them myself along with the other documents they ask for. It took an additional explanation, but at the end they were ok with that and got the ECA.