+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Easy way to get Statement In-Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So this is what I'm looking to do as well, I am also marrying a Philipina. So all the research I have done says to go to the Canadian Embassy in Manila.
But upon further research, it seems I can also obtain the same document from the Canadian Embassy right here in Canada?

It strikes me that it would be far easier to get it from the Canadian Embassy here in Canada before I leave, so the paperwork is done, and I can't think of any reason why it would make any difference which Canadian Embassy I get it from. There is also detailed information on the Canadian Embassy website in Vancouver detailing how to get this "statement in lieu of non impediment to marriage".

So the simple question is this: Does it make any difference if I get the "STATEMENT IN LIEU OF CERTIFICATE OF NON-IMPEDIMENT TO MARRAIGE" From the Canadian Embassy in Manila, or if I get it from the Canadian Embassy in Canada?
There is no such thing as a Canadian Embassy in Canada. So could you specify what it is you think you saw?

Not sure in other countries, but my personal experience is that it is easier and more reliable to get at the Canadian Embassy in the country where you intend to get married (e.g. Manila).

(Complicated story but basically there is no such document in Canada at the federal - it's a provincial responsibility - and then may not be accepted abroad without e.g. the Embassy stamping it anyway. Whereas in most countries there is a standard procedure and the Canadian embassies/consulates know what is needed and can provide. Usually it just requires going to the embassy - appointment these days - paying a fee and getting the document, which then may need to be 'stamped' or approved by local authorities)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Then whats this?

https://www.international.gc.ca/gac-amc/about-a_propos/services/authentication-authentification/lieu.aspx?lang=eng

and yes, correction noted... its not the "Canadian Embassy" in Canada, but it is the Canadian government
Go ahead and try it. Yes, there is such a document "in lieu of", I misspoke on that (it's a bit of a kludge because again, marriage a provincial responsibility).

I shared my experience above, that easier to get abroad at the embassies and consulates. (And have heard this from others as well)

Rc7Vb9KT

Mar 1, 2021
Ya well, they haven't opened the borders to travellers in the Philippines. I figure I'll get this one from here before I go. Worst case scenario, I still have to get one from the Canadian Embassy in Manila.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ya well, they haven't opened the borders to travellers in the Philippines. I figure I'll get this one from here before I go. Worst case scenario, I still have to get one from the Canadian Embassy in Manila.
Fair enough. In substance that document is the same as the embassy would issue, but some localities will want it to be issued or stamped by the embassy.