+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Early arrival to Canada

FGN_8

May 30, 2021
Hello, all.

Though I understand that the standard arrival time is between 3-4 weeks prior to your start of class, I would like to inquire if anyone has had a similar experience.

I applied for my student visa in February and received my approval for the May intake. I also received my 2 children's student visa an an open work permit for my husband. Due to the COVID delay, my passport arrived with our stamps on April 21 while the last date of arrival to Canada was April 19 (for May 03 start) due to the quarantine.

Unfortunately, I had to defer to September due to this but I have received my approval from the school. I would like to know if leaving my country ( Philippines) around end of June (29th?) or pushing it later, mid July (12th) would be acceptable? I am putting the the 2 week quarantine into consideration which would leave me 5-6 weeks of time prior to start of my class. I have placement requirements to complete that can only be done once I am in the country and my 2 kids to prepare for school registration. We will be living with my aunt and she has informed me that children in her area (Peel region) will not be doing virtual so all students will be attending classes. I also wanted to use that time to have them adjusted as they have never left our country. In terms of financial support, we have the max amount in our GIC account and will be brining around $5k to support us until school starts in September. Since my husband has an open work permit, I figured he would be able to support us as well. I was told previously that some border officer will "not care" because I am technically the main applicant, not them.

I understand that this is not an official forum to head information from, but I figured personal experiences from other people would be of an assistance.

*** The school that I have applied to also stated that my early arrival can be considered non-essential. I am debating if the preparation for my whole family would really be considered none essential.***

Last edited:

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello, all.

Though I understand that the standard arrival time is between 3-4 weeks prior to your start of class, I would like to inquire if anyone has had a similar experience.

I applied for my student visa in February and received my approval for the May intake. I also received my 2 children's student visa an an open work permit for my husband. Due to the COVID delay, my passport arrived with our stamps on April 21 while the last date of arrival to Canada was April 19 (for May 03 start) due to the quarantine.

Unfortunately, I had to defer to September due to this but I have received my approval from the school. I would like to know if leaving my country ( Philippines) around end of June (29th?) or pushing it later, mid July (12th) would be acceptable? I am putting the the 2 week quarantine into consideration which would leave me 5-6 weeks of time prior to start of my class. I have placement requirements to complete that can only be done once I am in the country and my 2 kids to prepare for school registration. We will be living with my aunt and she has informed me that children in her area (Peel region) will not be doing virtual so all students will be attending classes. I also wanted to use that time to have them adjusted as they have never left our country. In terms of financial support, we have the max amount in our GIC account and will be brining around $5k to support us until school starts in September. Since my husband has an open work permit, I figured he would be able to support us as well. I was told previously that some border officer will "not care" because I am technically the main applicant, not them.

I understand that this is not an official forum to head information from, but I figured personal experiences from other people would be of an assistance.
While I don't have similar experience but in your family situation you will be okey arriving in July for September intake. What you need to do just in case is to have your aunt write you a letter that she will provide accommodation during this time and you need to be very specific to the border agency incase they ask that your quarantine ends end of July and that you need to work on registering your children to local school district. Registration window for most district school opens in Jan for International students ( those without PR or Citizenship ), and you don't want to miss the deadline or have children going late to school...others will comment

FGN_8

May 30, 2021
While I don't have similar experience but in your family situation you will be okey arriving in July for September intake. What you need to do just in case is to have your aunt write you a letter that she will provide accommodation during this time and you need to be very specific to the border agency incase they ask that your quarantine ends end of July and that you need to work on registering your children to local school district. Registration window for most district school opens in Jan for International students ( those without PR or Citizenship ), and you don't want to miss the deadline or have children going late to school...others will comment
Thank you so much for that! Id also like to include that the school Ive applied to stated that my early arrival may also be considered "non-essential". Would it be posed as non-essential?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much for that! Id also like to include that the school Ive applied to stated that my early arrival may also be considered "non-essential". Would it be posed as non-essential?
Hello, all.

*** The school that I have applied to also stated that my early arrival can be considered non-essential. I am debating if the preparation for my whole family would really be considered none essential.***
Neither you nor your spouse can work until you school starts so you won't be able to work until sometime in September. Does your Aunt own a home with a basement with a bathroom where your family can quarantine for 11 days after hotel quarantine? If you are not able to separate in a basement will the whole family be remaining at home for 14 days?

FGN_8

May 30, 2021
She does but we have sufficient funds to pay for the mandatory 3 day stay at a hotel, as well as the 11 days in another hotel or air bnb. I would feel more comfortable to do that given that both my aunt and uncle are in their 60s (she's a nurse who is still working but better to be safe).

Reactions: Simba112

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
In the end it's upto the CBSA officers, there have been some experiences where students coming into Canada were asked why they've arrived early, some were even asked to show funds.

Seeing a family idk what they might ask or not ask.

All the best.

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012
2 months before arriving shouldn't be a problem because 14 days quarantine then finding a new place to live then next 3-4 weeks school starting you can also say there will be an orientation at school so but some people go 3 months beforehand.
Officially it is 35 days is allowed but taking into consideration quarantine some people here arrived way early even 3 months.
of course everything depends on CBSA

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As long as you have the extra funds you are not arriving extremely early give quarantine but wouldn't arrive any earlier.

Don't believe you will qualify to start your placements until your school semester has started although you should verify with your school and a lawyer since I'm unfamiliar with your curriculum so I'm not sure if your school starts in July/August with a placement.

ceegeebee

Mar 19, 2021
Hello, all.

hello, i am from the ph too and have the same concern. may i please ask if you've proceeded to finalize your travel plans? thank you-

Alomob

Jun 28, 2021
I tried
Hello, all.

hello, i am from the ph too and have the same concern. may i please ask if you've proceeded to finalize your travel plans? thank you-
I had the same issue, my school starts in September tried to travel yesterday and was denied boarding the plane and told to come 4 weeks to classes. Might be different for your country. I live in Nigeria.

ayesha_llk2

Aug 11, 2020
I tried

I had the same issue, my school starts in September tried to travel yesterday and was denied boarding the plane and told to come 4 weeks to classes. Might be different for your country. I live in Nigeria.
how do they even confirm classes in middle of school session? I mean usually its on admission letter but in this case how would they confirm when your classes start in next semester?

also, since its june, wouldnt it be middle of summer semester for you ? they still didnt let you board ?

Alomob

Jun 28, 2021
I had a letter from my school confirming that my classes start in September.
yes it would and they didn’t still let me board.

ceegeebee

Mar 19, 2021
I tried

I am sorry to hear this. was it the immigration officials in your country who disallowed the trip?